Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a thought on paint protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all these wrap's and ppf's that are so expensive for paint protection, would it make sense to just to have your MY paint job covered with a coat of clear coat, this should be much more economical to have done. I dont know if the clear coat would offer good paint protection at a cheaper cost. Any thoughts on this may be paint protection for all this paint chipping problem every one has been complaining about. I am going to check with some auto paint shops and see what their feelings are on this idea.

any thoughts appreciated
bksalt

With all these wrap's and ppf's that are so expensive for paint protection, would it make sense to just to have your MY paint job covered with a coat of clear coat, this should be much more economical to have done. I dont know if the clear coat would offer good paint protection at a cheaper cost. Any thoughts on this may be paint protection for all this paint chipping problem every one has been complaining about. I am going to check with some auto paint shops and see what their feelings are on this idea.

any thoughts appreciated
bksalt
I'd be interested in what they say. It certainly seems like it wouldn't hurt.

ppf is 200mm in thickness while ceramic coating is 2mm, body wraps are about 100 mm in thickness.
My Xpel Ultimate PPF is 2mm (millimeter) thick or 7.6mils thick and consists of 4 layers. I'm not sure where you're getting your PPF numbers from. Ceramic coat is 1 micron when all is said and done. I forget what wraps are, but I think it was half or less than that of PPF.

PPF is definitely much thicker, and as others said it's around 6-8 mils compared to a 'cheap' vinyl wrap that's around 2-4 mils. There are thicker vinyl wraps and PPF's out there (and they cost more), but for the most part that's what you normally see. Also, the jobs of PPF and vinyl wraps are for completely different purposes.

Most vinyl wraps are just that, a wrap for your car to change the color. It does help protect the paint from UV and other elements (rain, bird droppings, etc), but it can still tear and take damage when it's hit with some force by something. PPF is specifically designed to help mitigate damage on your car's paint, and most PPF's out there might have a self-healing element where it can 'cure' itself from minor dings or scratches with some heat or when left out in the sun. Because of this, PPF usually costs quite a bit more for the same amount of area covered on the car. Also, being thicker makes it a more difficult to install compared to a more flexible & pliable vinyl wrap, so installers will charge more for labor.

Ceramic coating puts a thin protective coat over the clear, but it's not going to harden like people think and deflect rocks and prevent chips. One of the main purposes for a ceramic coating is its hydrophobic element of being able to bead water right off of it and helps reduce dust & dirt from sticking on the car. As a protection barrier, maybe for UV rays and rain water and possibly bird droppings (depending on the ceramic coating used and how many layers applied), but I wouldn't use ceramic coating only thinking it will protect my car from rock chips and freeway debris.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not an installer, but I've worked in the auto industry for a few decades in the past and have done plenty of research and testing on my own.

PPF is definitely much thicker, and as others said it's around 6-8 mils compared to a 'cheap' vinyl wrap that's around 2-4 mils. There are thicker vinyl wraps and PPF's out there (and they cost more), but for the most part that's what you normally see. Also, the jobs of PPF and vinyl wraps are for completely different purposes.

Most vinyl wraps are just that, a wrap for your car to change the color. It does help protect the paint from UV and other elements (rain, bird droppings, etc), but it can still tear and take damage when it's hit with some force by something. PPF is specifically designed to help mitigate damage on your car's paint, and most PPF's out there might have a self-healing element where it can 'cure' itself from minor dings or scratches with some heat or when left out in the sun. Because of this, PPF usually costs quite a bit more for the same amount of area covered on the car. Also, being thicker makes it a more difficult to install compared to a more flexible & pliable vinyl wrap, so installers will charge more for labor.

Ceramic coating puts a thin protective coat over the clear, but it's not going to harden like people think and deflect rocks and prevent chips. One of the main purposes for a ceramic coating is its hydrophobic element of being able to bead water right off of it and helps reduce dust & dirt from sticking on the car. As a protection barrier, maybe for UV rays and rain water and possibly bird droppings (depending on the ceramic coating used and how many layers applied), but I wouldn't use ceramic coating only thinking it will protect my car from rock chips and freeway debris.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not an installer, but I've worked in the auto industry for a few decades in the past and have done plenty of research and testing on my own.
Very well put. If someone is looking to save some bucks you can try to binge on YouTube and self install like myself. You can do as many times as you wish for perfection. Installation cost is not cheap because this is time consuming but if you can live with some imperfection you may go this route and save a couple thousands.

any thoughts appreciated
bksalt
Hi,

You can try checking out our Installer Locator page to get a more accurate quote for a clear bra ppf nearest you. We can't say if it will be cheaper or more expensive than adding an extra layer of clear coat to your MY, but with our ppf you get a 10-year transferrable warranty on a product designed to protect a vehicle's paint.

Sorry team, but I am new to this idea. MY is being delivered next week. I think I would like to install PPF myself. Is there a particular company that makes pre-cut sections for MY, or does it come in sheets to be trimmed? Anyone have experience with a particular brand. Thank you for your help!

Probably like most of you, I have gone back and forth in my head debating whether or not to PPF/add ceramic coating.

In case it helps anyone, I will tell you where I have finally landed. I decided not to PPF at all (unless Tesla adds some before delivering, which I think is unlikely because I live in So Cal not South Canada).

The reason I decided not to: for me that PPF would really preserve the pristine paint of the car. But these cars (to me, after admittedly too much reading) aren't quite like that. I feel like I am buying a bad@$$ electric car with tons of safety features and cutting edge technology, but NOT a refined luxury car with superb fit and finish. After seeing several people receive their cars that need paint touch-up or even respraying, I feel like this car's paint will already be used-is (I have had my old lexus resprayed before - I can't tell the difference, but I know people who can). For me a brand new MY could be just like my Lexus - looks great but possibly has been resprayed.

So for me, I don't feel like I can expect a car coming with pristine paint, and so if I get rock chips and dents, I can get those fixed and resprayed without affecting the value of the car at all. Respraying the bumper or rock-chip areas will run me $500 max and I figure even if I did that every year to keep things peachy, I will come out ahead financially and always have pretty nice looking paint.

With that mindset I am also looking at just using something like the turtle wax sealant to improve water shedding and keep it a little more shiny - saving all my money for periodic resprays (the MY will be commuting 100 miles per day in LA/OC freeways, so I expect chips).

Probably like most of you, I have gone back and forth in my head debating whether or not to PPF/add ceramic coating.

In case it helps anyone, I will tell you where I have finally landed. I decided not to PPF at all (unless Tesla adds some before delivering, which I think is unlikely because I live in So Cal not South Canada).

The reason I decided not to: for me that PPF would really preserve the pristine paint of the car. But these cars (to me, after admittedly too much reading) aren't quite like that. I feel like I am buying a bad@$$ electric car with tons of safety features and cutting edge technology, but NOT a refined luxury car with superb fit and finish. After seeing several people receive their cars that need paint touch-up or even respraying, I feel like this car's paint will already be used-is (I have had my old lexus resprayed before - I can't tell the difference, but I know people who can). For me a brand new MY could be just like my Lexus - looks great but possibly has been resprayed.

So for me, I don't feel like I can expect a car coming with pristine paint, and so if I get rock chips and dents, I can get those fixed and resprayed without affecting the value of the car at all. Respraying the bumper or rock-chip areas will run me $500 max and I figure even if I did that every year to keep things peachy, I will come out ahead financially and always have pretty nice looking paint.

With that mindset I am also looking at just using something like the turtle wax sealant to improve water shedding and keep it a little more shiny - saving all my money for periodic resprays (the MY will be commuting 100 miles per day in LA/OC freeways, so I expect chips).
PPF saved my headlight from cracking. My car is only 6 months old. I heard the loud pop and when I went to go look, I was for sure my windshield was cracked or chipped but I couldn't see anything on the windshield. I did remember the pop didn't sound like it was up high. I looked and there was a small screw sized rip where the rock hit on the headlight PPF. I think it saved the headlight from being cracked or chipped. Who knows how many more saves the PPF will do but so far I'd say it saved me a headlight. PLUS it makes it easy to wash and clean.

(the MY will be commuting 100 miles per day in LA/OC freeways, so I expect chips).
While I agree with you on the use case on the price point of a car like a Y. You really are a perfect case for a PPF clear bra. My S has 150k on it and it looks like new. I commute hard core, and the front of my car and the rest looks like new. Yes a few cuts here and there, but one has to be bent over to see them. Also most are amazed that my car has much more than 10-15k in miles. Plus I do automatic car washes every third day.

I have had that car since new, and see cars of people I know that do similar miles like you. The front of the cars are downright embarrassing.

The resprays will be similar to what you say. Pretty nice. Order a new bumper cover here and there. I just don't have to do that.

I just decided to PPF mainly cause, I am not the type that would spend much time cleaning or touching up paint and the PPF is a convenient feature that I can afford. I will probably only go for a touchless car wash once a month or 2 months actually, my car right now is only for drop off/pick up of toddler (15 miles highway each way) and weekend drive out for family day trip...

Reactions: cancoi
the MY will be commuting 100 miles per day in LA/OC freeways, so I expect chips
I hear you on all the other points but based on this point right here, and the fact that the front bumper is very flat, I would highly recommend at least spending the ~$500 for the front bumper if nothing else.

And if you don't have the mud flaps, a section of PPF in the rear bottom doors as I guarantee you a respray will be needed if you don't have one or the other.

Single data point: Red/white MYLR, Ft. Worth, TX, 8.5k miles, no PPF, detail shop applied ceramic (brand unknown), PPF on headlights.

One 2500mile roadtrip, FW to Bradenton, FL

I just hand washed the car. I found 2 extremely small nicks on the front bumper. That's all. The car had been coated with bugs, left to bake for several days, but they all just washed off.

I'll take my chances and NOT have PPF installed. YMMV.