Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a loaner S with AP1. It is still better than AP2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own experience as a current owner of an AP1 Model S and AP2 Model 3 is that AP2 is MUCH better than AP1 at most challenging real-world driving situations — curvy, hilly roads, complex intersections, poorly marked roads, surface streets, etc. I still love AP1 but it can’t hang with AP2 IMO.

In a TMC poll from March of people with experience with both AP1 and AP2 80% already thought AP2 outperformed AP1 and I believe AP2 has continued to improve faster than AP1 since then. Poll: Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?
I agree, I think AP2 is preferable for most situations except to say that there are convencience deficiencies in AP2 that seam overdue. For example, the less available lane change on surface streets and the lack of speed limit sign recognition. Other things like automatic wiper edge case consistency with drizzle and vehicle type rendering in the IC are very minor and outweighed IMHO by AP2 advantage in newly complex curb and close proximity vehicle situations. Still, these AP2 scenarios are overdue and make happy owners turn restless and start viewing Elon’s tweets about non related things as less amusing.... especially with version 9 around the corner.