Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got hit... What's rear quarter panel repair look like in a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

First snow of the season & my 2 week old 3D had a bad day... I got a pretty decent bump today that hit my rear driver side door and the QP next to it. I was stationary and someone else came across from oncoming traffic and hit me. I had just enough space and time to evade a little - probably would have gotten my driver's door too if I hadn't.

Will be bringing into the local tesla body shop tomorrow... Anyone care to take a guess based on pics? QP Replacement or think PDR is an option?

FWIW, teslacam caught it pretty well, glad I remembered to hit the button after the accident. File names and dates are a mess, what's up with that? Had to dig thru all of them to find the right video.

Attachments

• 20181115_163123_b.jpg
    20181115_163123_b.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 1,543
  • 20181115_163311_b.jpg
    20181115_163311_b.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 1,270
Yeah, I saw the video...
Appears to be entirely drivable, no serious issues. I haven't tried to open the door yet.
Hopefully I can just keep driving it while I wait who-knows-how-long for the parts, and hopefully they get all the parts before starting...

Looks like almost the same damage to my car a few weeks back but mine was on the other side with minor scratches on the rear bumper too. Other party's insurance paid about $1800 for the total repair work but the body shop quoted $2300 initially. I think my QP didn't have that much of a dent when compared with yours.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Looks like almost the same damage to my car a few weeks back but mine was on the other side with minor scratches on the rear bumper too. Other party's insurance paid about $1800 for the total repair work but the body shop quoted $2300 initially. I think my QP didn't have that much of a dent when compared with yours.

That seems relatively inexpensive .. Was your qp not replaced? Pdr? Is your repair done yet?

That seems relatively inexpensive .. Was your qp not replaced? Pdr? Is your repair done yet?
Not QP didn't get replaced. No PDR. Yes, it is done. Originally promised within week's time but took a extra day as they didn't fix the door handle. After the impact the door handle seems to have sunk inside and was not flush. Please check yours and compare with the rest of the ones on the other doors.

Looking at the work summary, it was 21 labor hours for body(bulk for rear door and QP) and 7 hours Paint labor.

Not QP didn't get replaced. No PDR. Yes, it is done. Originally promised within week's time but took a extra day as they didn't fix the door handle. After the impact the door handle seems to have sunk inside and was not flush. Please check yours and compare with the rest of the ones on the other doors.

Looking at the work summary, it was 21 labor hours for body(bulk for rear door and QP) and 7 hours Paint labor.

Thanks for the info. The door handle is definitely sunk in a bit.

How'd they repair with no pdr and no qp replacement? Did they bang it out, fill and repaint? Or some other kind of magic?

Looks very similar to my car. A Lyft driver attempted to squeeze behind me in front of another car and ended up scraping me when the traffic slowed.

- Took 1 week to get an appointment at Tesla body shop San Jose and another 3 weeks to fix
- Repair Cost: $3,300
- Communication is subpar but super friendly when you do text/talk to someone
- I'd say the car is ~ 90% back to normal...wish it was better
- Things just aren't as tight/straight as before but too borderline-ish to complain
- I can't live with it so I'm using it as an excuse to get a P (delivery next week lol)

First pic is at the scene of accident. The second is at home after I got a chance to clean up to see the real damage.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Visited a tesla approved body shop today, he made the teeth sucking noise and then informed me that it'd be about 2 months till they got the parts, QP replacement for sure, he said. I told him I knew the deal, that I'd be surprised if he got a QP in 2 months, and that since the car was drivable as is, I'd be happy if they got all the parts before they started work and I was only in a rental for a short time to repair. The one thing I don't want, I told him, is for the repair to start, and then they're missing some part, and I'm in a rental while we wait weeks or months for the subsequent part.

Robski, your QP damage looks far less severe than mine, I could see how yours might be repairable, but mine, I'd be surprised if it was possible.

I should have been more clear, I'd be surprised if mine was repairable without replacing panels. I'm sure a new panel will do it, just not looking forward to all the time and hassle surrounding tesla body panel replacement work.

I'm fortunate for sure. It's driveable. It could have been far worse, several different ways.

Believe me, I'd definitely prefer the car was not cut up and welded back together if it's an option. I'll push the body shop to make sure they won't do it.
Since they're a tesla approved shop, I'm assuming they have to follow Tesla's instructions.... to a "T", and as we know, Tesla usually says replace over repair.
One thing I definitely won't do is bring it to a non Tesla approved shop, too much risk that they abuse the battery/some other system and any issues further down the line will just mean more headaches then.

I'll probably schlep over to a couple Tesla approved shops and see if they all concur that replacement is necessary.