Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got in!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, newbie to Tesla ownership and this site.
I just got a 2013 Model S P85+ with just over 140,000 miles. I’ll be changing the brakes for the first time in this cars life.
I’ve done thousands of brake jobs in my life but never with that many miles. I can only conclude that regenerative braking has lead to the extended brake life of these vehicles
I ordered a new set of Brembo pads and will do the job next week.

Reactions: Drew-MS and IdaX
Welcome! If you're doing pads, go ahead and do rotors at the same time. They're not that expensive. Make sure to lube the caliper pins.

My 2015 was a Wisconsin car and the front brakes were pretty crusty and didn't perform well until I replaced the pads and rotors. The pads had seized in the calipers and weren't doing a whole lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drew-MS and IdaX
Well I’m embarrassed to say that after a more careful look I discovered the brakes are in far better condition than I originally thought. The new pads arrived and after comparing them I find that the amount of wear is less than 25%. Well, I’ll have the replacement for a few more years.
I will however be flushing the brake fluid.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Well I’m embarrassed to say that after a more careful look I discovered the brakes are in far better condition than I originally thought. The new pads arrived and after comparing them I find that the amount of wear is less than 25%. Well, I’ll have the replacement for a few more years.

Definitely take the advice above to clean and apply fresh brake grease to the moving parts while you are at it.

Wow that’s impressive. Are you sure the brake pads were never changed ?

Being that actual braking usually happens at relatively slow speed and holding at stops the pads hardly are getting any wear.
I checked with previous owner and confirmed these are the original pads.
I am going to flush the brake fluid with DOT 4.
The calipers and hardware look to be in great condition with no signs of rust or corrosion. Guess garage kept makes a big difference.