Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just order my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should wait for the special SpaceX Model X version Astrovan with liquid cooling plugs for the rear passengers space suits.

3d919ad0-9f3f-11ea-ad5d-ed031774a7e7

I was very interested in the model X. I have a BMW I3 coming off lease. It has been a flawless car without needing a single dealer visit. I made my first visit to a Tesla dealer yesterday to get a good look at the Model X. I was stunned at the poor build quality. I thought perhaps the posts I read were overstating the issues. The car looked like something Yugo would have been ashamed to let out of the factory. On the service side there were several cars awaiting service covered in red tape arrows marking flaws in paint and fit. I so wanted a model X and am so disappointed in what I saw. Am I missing something? The X they had as a driver demo did look much better but I suspect they worked on it.
If the obvious visual items are such poor quality what lurks underneath. Should I give up on a Tesla? I really wanted this car!

I was very interested in the model X. I have a BMW I3 coming off lease. It has been a flawless car without needing a single dealer visit. I made my first visit to a Tesla dealer yesterday to get a good look at the Model X. I was stunned at the poor build quality. I thought perhaps the posts I read were overstating the issues. The car looked like something Yugo would have been ashamed to let out of the factory. On the service side there were several cars awaiting service covered in red tape arrows marking flaws in paint and fit. I so wanted a model X and am so disappointed in what I saw. Am I missing something? The X they had as a driver demo did look much better but I suspect they worked on it.
If the obvious visual items are such poor quality what lurks underneath. Should I give up on a Tesla? I really wanted this car!

I maybe biased, but a good friend of mine had an i3, and to me, the MX is much better than the i3, panel gaps and all. He even agreed and traded in his i3 for a M3 (Tesla, not BMW).

But, if panel gaps stops you from even going for a test drive, I'd say pass on Tesla. It's not its strongest suit.

Yeah, cancel your order until after battery day because you will most likely lose a ton of money if they announce a longer range battery.

Agree 100%. Wait if you can, especially with battery day looming in the horizon.

Yeah, cancel your order until after battery day because you will most likely lose a ton of money if they announce a longer range battery.
I doubt there will be any announcement of that nature, such as current batteries manufacturing change.

It would be interesting to see again some testing at the Nürburgring, and a possible a new beefed up Model S version in the fall with a larger battery.

But I believe that Elon mentioned that the tri-motor was too complex to produce,
so may be Tesla will wait until the CyberTruck and the Spider will be build and possibly share the same tri-motor axial.

I suspect only some announcements of future technology enhancements with a vague production schedule (Elon time...)

Anyway, If you worry about any obsolescence breakthrough then just take a three year lease
but I don't think that any memorable production line changes will be announced soon.

One issue with panel fittment is the huge Falcon Wing doors and rear hatch. The variable compression on the door seals seem to make getting a perfect fit challenging when the door close/locking motors torque down in the final 1/2 inch.

This is more of a design issue than an installation issue. Service centers can often realign these fittments after the seals have compressed for a bit.

Good news is that the visuals absolutely have no effect on the way the cars perform. They are simply amazing.

There have been thousands of posts picking apart the panel fittment issues with Tesla. It is just a part of the production process. Not unusual to see lines not match up or some gaps being wider than others.

It this is the most important factor when buying a car, then looking in the used market place might be better. Most every used Tesla I see advertised mentions that they are in great condition :)

Recent $5,000 price reductions would mean more to me than a panel gap.

As far as waiting for the next continous improvement item, that will keep you waiting forever. Their always seems to be some major rumored item coming...soon.

Please get a new BMW, thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Dutchie
Many times announcements reveal improvements that have already been implemented in current production. Many owners of S/X were happy to learn that the newly released + configuration could be implemented via simple OTA updates. The range got longer, performance increased and they became aware that the newest battery pack was already installed in their cars. Upgrades went back several months.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
My G/F's i3 has been in the shop much more than my X. It has been in for a recall, something to do with the rear seat belts, a warning that it's starter 12V battery was below charge from the REX not being used enough. She got called in for several oil changes (factory paid) and other small items. Nothing to do with the main battery, but mostly alerts that she had not been using the REX enough to keep it functioning.

We call it her shopping cart, because it is pretty much useless for anything else.

Thanks for your reply very valuable information - it appears that the long-term resale-value strength of the Model X SUV will remain one of the strongest in the market.