Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Efficiency Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the alleged release of the upcoming "2024 Efficiency Package" for Model S, Y, X, I am looking to see if anyone has any information about these deliveries. Ideally, when they are going to start.

Currently trying to thread-the-needle with ordering a Model X with these changes before the FSD transfer offer expires.

Reactions: Raechris
With the alleged release of the upcoming "2024 Efficiency Package" for Model S, Y, X, I am looking to see if anyone has any information about these deliveries. Ideally, when they are going to start.

Currently trying to thread-the-needle with ordering a Model X with these changes before the FSD transfer offer expires.
I think you may be referring to the Efficiency Package that was already implemented on MX? Is was software only. This change, in addition to the EPA range testing changes, are what brought the range estimates for MX down in January.

In truth, the cars are the same, physically. Everything needing changed will be done with software. There's really no ordering needle to thread. Just order.

The Model S LR and MY Performance are hung up for a different reason. The new EPA testing regiment is still being completed on those apparently. Still, the vehicles are going to be the same.

Upvote 0
I think you may be referring to the Efficiency Package that was already implemented on MX? Is was software only. This change, in addition to the EPA range testing changes, are what brought the range estimates for MX down in January.

In truth, the cars are the same, physically. Everything needing changed will be done with software. There's really no ordering needle to thread. Just order.

The Model S LR and MY Performance are hung up for a different reason. The new EPA testing regiment is still being completed on those apparently. Still, the vehicles are going to be the same.
Copy, so the X range already was reduced from 2023, then increased after the implementation of the efficiency package (software or otherwise), or did it just get reduced and is still at that reduced number?

I am seeing 335mi range on Tesla.com right now, and I believe it previously stated 348mi. Lots of changes to keep track of here, so I may have missed some of the ups-and-downs if there were others.

My hope was for a new front drive unit or something - anything - to reduce or eliminate the shudder problem. I know that's optimistic, but it has to happen eventually, right? (I know, it won't) Seems likely that the RBG lighting is riiiiight around the corner, too, but we have been saying this for months now.

Upvote 0
Copy, so the X range already was reduced from 2023, then increased after the implementation of the efficiency package (software or otherwise), or did it just get reduced and is still at that reduced number?

I am seeing 335mi range on Tesla.com right now, and I believe it previously stated 348mi. Lots of changes to keep track of here, so I may have missed some of the ups-and-downs if there were others.

My hope was for a new front drive unit or something - anything - to reduce or eliminate the shudder problem. I know that's optimistic, but it has to happen eventually, right? (I know, it won't) Seems likely that the RBG lighting is riiiiight around the corner, too, but we have been saying this for months now.
The so-called "efficiency package" is a package of software/firmware that gets changed every year or so it seems. This time, since there were also changes to the EPA testing regiment for 2024 to make EPA-stated ranges more realistic, this new testing approach was done with these efficiency package changes in place. One reduction was made.

The cars, however, are fundamentally the same, and the "efficiency package" changes are not particularly influential on the EPA-stated range. The big influence on the EPA range was the new EPA testing. In my view, all this was for the better, as Tesla owners know that we typically were not coming close to the EPA stated range.

I've been watching this fairly closely as I have an inbound 2024 MSP. The new 2024 EPA stated range for the Model S Plaid is 359 miles. I recently watched Out of Spec's range test on their 2022 MSP, conducted as a 70 mile per hour highway test (highway testing is hard for EV's due to wind resistance) and the result was 367 miles. So I'd say this new EPA approach is going to yield a closer result to real-world. All for the best. BTW, most people never got the EPA mileage figures for ICE cars either, so this realism is welcome I think.

All that said, the vehicle hardware is the same. Software changed (and will continue to change, which I like about Tesla) and the testing methodology changed.

I'm not familiar with the shudder problem you mentioned. I tested 3 or 4 different MX's before deciding to order MS (mostly because I don't need that big of a vehicle) and I didn't experience a shudder. But Tesla hardware changes come all the time, and will continue to. You will likely never time it perfectly. Buy whenever you're comfortable.

Reactions: John in LB
Upvote 0
The so-called "efficiency package" is a package of software/firmware that gets changed every year or so it seems. This time, since there were also changes to the EPA testing regiment for 2024 to make EPA-stated ranges more realistic, this new testing approach was done with these efficiency package changes in place. One reduction was made.

The cars, however, are fundamentally the same, and the "efficiency package" changes are not particularly influential on the EPA-stated range. The big influence on the EPA range was the new EPA testing. In my view, all this was for the better, as Tesla owners know that we typically were not coming close to the EPA stated range.

I've been watching this fairly closely as I have an inbound 2024 MSP. The new 2024 EPA stated range for the Model S Plaid is 359 miles. I recently watched Out of Spec's range test on their 2022 MSP, conducted as a 70 mile per hour highway test (highway testing is hard for EV's due to wind resistance) and the result was 367 miles. So I'd say this new EPA approach is going to yield a closer result to real-world. All for the best. BTW, most people never got the EPA mileage figures for ICE cars either, so this realism is welcome I think.

All that said, the vehicle hardware is the same. Software changed (and will continue to change, which I like about Tesla) and the testing methodology changed.

I'm not familiar with the shudder problem you mentioned. I tested 3 or 4 different MX's before deciding to order MS (mostly because I don't need that big of a vehicle) and I didn't experience a shudder. But Tesla hardware changes come all the time, and will continue to. You will likely never time it perfectly. Buy whenever you're comfortable.
Regarding the shudder problem some (minority I believe) owners have experienced, the common theme appeared to be hard-driving. Since it’s van-like, I can’t see how one could drive it like an exotic two-seater.

Upvote 0
Regarding the shudder problem some (minority I believe) owners have experienced, the common theme appeared to be hard-driving. Since it’s van-like, I can’t see how one could drive it like an exotic two-seater.
This is different than the acceleration shudder. Mine has that, too, but like you said, it is a mini van and I am not driving it hard at all, though that specific issue is still present during anything more than mild acceleration. I should have described it as a vibration or resonance since the shudder problem is kind of its own thing.

The issue I am referencing is more of a vibration and happens at constant speeds. It for sure is not a balance or road-force issue - all the tires and a wheel have been replaced and everything is now under 12lbs of road force.

It might even be a suspension issue. Here is a thread that covers it.

Upvote 0
This is different than the acceleration shudder. Mine has that, too, but like you said, it is a mini van and I am not driving it hard at all, though that specific issue is still present during anything more than mild acceleration. I should have described it as a vibration or resonance since the shudder problem is kind of its own thing.

The issue I am referencing is more of a vibration and happens at constant speeds. It for sure is not a balance or road-force issue - all the tires and a wheel have been replaced and everything is now under 12lbs of road force.

I’m getting the new X given the FSD and FUSC transfers from my old S. Having scanned a few threads on it, it is my hope that this issue isn’t common. One thing from my former ICE experience I don’t want to encounter in an EV is vibration. Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Well, I'm not that versed on it, but there was a software change made in October to address a long-reported vibration. I don't have it handy or I'd post it, but saw it in the Model S delivery thread. Seemed like something Tesla had been working on for some time. In any event, it seemed it was better understood now for new orders.

Upvote 0