Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Ordered MYLR. Have questions! (1st post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pulled the trigger on a MYLR w/ 20" wheels, all black. Very excited!

I have a few questions:
1. What are the essential accessories to buy while I wait for delivery?
2. Is the Tesla wall connector recommended? If not, what are my options? My car will be parked outside the garage :(.
3. PPF vs Ceramic?

Thanks!!
compositor

Sweet, love the black !

Regarding accessories I think you should wait a bit and live with the car to see what you really like .. if it doesnt come with the USB drive for Sentry then at least that but otherwise Id chill a bit and just see what you really like later.

Regarding tesla wall charger, yes and make sure you've got a dedicated 60 amp / 240v circuit ready to wire it in. This will allow you to charge it as fast as possible at home. Im sure others will chime in here too.

Drive it for a while and see what accessories you need is grat advice.

As PPF vs ceramic isn't an either/or. It can be both. This is one. you want to address right away. I did PPF on the entire front and ceramic coat over top of everything else. I have a great painter in my area but I didn't want to have to deal with repainting the front if it was pitted badly from stone chips. That big flat front and the soft paint is an easy target. We also drive pretty fast on the roads so things are going to likely hit it harder.

I don't think you have to go crazy though with either. If I was mostly in town, I probably would have just done the ceramic coat.

yeah good advice. Mine has PPF already. Its kinda peeling a bit up front and kinda sucks to polish, it gets all static-ey and attracts dust but i guess worth it. You can ceramic coat then ppf if you really wanna go all in.

Congrat's, enjoy! I always recommend having good quality all weather floor mats on hand to install right after delivery, most other stuff can wait. And you mention parking it outside of the garage so I'd spend the time between now and delivery working how to get it IN the garage :).

Reactions: bobbyjae
Sweet, love the black !

Regarding accessories I think you should wait a bit and live with the car to see what you really like .. if it doesnt come with the USB drive for Sentry then at least that but otherwise Id chill a bit and just see what you really like later.

Regarding tesla wall charger, yes and make sure you've got a dedicated 60 amp / 240v circuit ready to wire it in. This will allow you to charge it as fast as possible at home. Im sure others will chime in here too.
Good call. On other sites, folks are recommending a whole list of items. I will start slow.

Drive it for a while and see what accessories you need is grat advice.

As PPF vs ceramic isn't an either/or. It can be both. This is one. you want to address right away. I did PPF on the entire front and ceramic coat over top of everything else. I have a great painter in my area but I didn't want to have to deal with repainting the front if it was pitted badly from stone chips. That big flat front and the soft paint is an easy target. We also drive pretty fast on the roads so things are going to likely hit it harder.

I don't think you have to go crazy though with either. If I was mostly in town, I probably would have just done the ceramic coat.
I was leaning towards doing the same. How long does ceramic last? If it's at least 3-5 years it may be worth it.

Congrat's, enjoy! I always recommend having good quality all weather floor mats on hand to install right after delivery, most other stuff can wait. And you mention parking it outside of the garage so I'd spend the time between now and delivery working how to get it IN the garage :).
Got the Tesla ones when I ordered. Hope they are good enough (kinda pricey tho). Wifey always gets the garage which is why I am looking into PPF/ceramic!

Just pulled the trigger on a MYLR w/ 20" wheels, all black. Very excited!

I have a few questions:
2. Is the Tesla wall connector recommended? If not, what are my options? My car will be parked outside the garage :(.
3. PPF vs Ceramic?

Thanks!!
compositor

1 - Mud Flaps!!!

2 - I'm using a J1772 provided at a steep discount by my electricity company, I'd suggest looking into the ev programs yours may have as long as it's a 40amp charger it won't make a noticable difference in charging speeds. Only caveat here is to remove your device from any smart charging network they may be using so you only have to control charging from the Tesla app.

3 - I'm in a major city in the North East that loves to salt roads visibly white and plan on keeping the car until it dies so I did a
full PPF wrap for 5k.

4 - I'd reconsider anything but the 19 Gemini for range and because curb rash is very real

If your Model Y will be charged at home on your driveway or carport then the Tesla Wall Connector is the better choice. The Wall Connector is hard wired into the circuit so there is no receptacle and plug that has to be protected from rain etc. The Wall Connector is also weather rated meaning it can be exposed to rain, sleet snow etc. with no issue.

When looking at the cost of installing the Tesla Wall Connector ($500) versus installing a dedicated 240V receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and using the Tesla Mobile Connector the difference in cost is less than $200.

The Wall Connector is compatible with circuits rated from 15A to 60A with 60A enabling the fastest charging. If an electrician tells you that your current electrical service cannot support an additional 60A circuit but it can support a 50A or 40A then do that. The 50A circuit enables charging at 40A, the 40A circuit enables charging at 32A (this is the same as the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter, capable of adding up to 29 miles of range per hour.)

I was leaning towards doing the same. How long does ceramic last? If it's at least 3-5 years it may be worth it.
There are wildly differing claims by shops in my areas, up to 7 years. Obviously they want more money. I found someone who runs their own shop and is mobile and did a very good job on mine. I think generally they all will help. From what I've seen the key, even with the really good ones, keep the car from getting wet for a minimum of 48-72 hours afterward and full curing can take 2-4 weeks.

I hope it will hold up well but it already is much easier to clean than when I got it. Most of the crap just comes off with an easy spray.

If parking outside, do get a heat shield thingy for the windshield. It makes a big difference if the car isn’t in the shade. Consider getting a charger with J1772 vs wall charger. Not that anyone would ever buy an EV other than a Tesla after owning one, but Tesla can charge off J1772 for other cars. The lightening, Mach E, Taycan, Etron, etc cannot charge off a Tesla WC. Ever have guests? Ever plan to? Love the Tesla and understand protecting super charger exclusivity with proprietary plug. Not gonna do it at my home though.

If parking outside, do get a heat shield thingy for the windshield. It makes a big difference if the car isn’t in the shade. Consider getting a charger with J1772 vs wall charger. Not that anyone would ever buy an EV other than a Tesla after owning one, but Tesla can charge off J1772 for other cars. The lightening, Mach E, Taycan, Etron, etc cannot charge off a Tesla WC. Ever have guests? Ever plan to? Love the Tesla and understand protecting super charger exclusivity with proprietary plug. Not gonna do it at my home though.
Actually non-Tesla vehicles can charge using a Tesla destination charger, Wall Connector or Mobile Connector provided they have a J1772 to Tesla charging adapter. Only Tesla vehicles can charge at a Tesla Supercharger charging station.

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (Black)

Reactions: Dennisis
Recommended Model Y Accessories:

Interior: roof sun shade, floor liners, screen protector, cargo area privacy cover, Homelink kit (Tesla Mobile Service can install the Homelink kit.)

Exterior: mud flaps, paint protection film for the doors (especially the rear doors (Tesla sells a PPF kit for the rear doors.), a front license plate mount that does not contact the front bumper. Tow hitch package (the Tesla Service center can install after delivery. The tow hitch package enables you to attach a bike rack to the Model Y.)

Wheels and Tires: 12V tire inflator, tire plug kit, Modern Spare (an aftermarket spare tire that fits the Model Y), jack pads (to aid in locating the approved lift points when lifting the Model Y.) For winter driving in snow: a wheel and winter tire package.

Last edited:
Actually non-Tesla vehicles can charge using a Tesla destination charger, Wall Connector or Mobile Connector provided they have a J1772 to Tesla charging adapter. Only Tesla vehicles can charge at a Tesla Supercharger charging station.

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (Black)
That’s good to know. Expensive, but nice to know it exists. Is this going to be like having bath towels and spare new toothbrushes? Etiquette manuals will need to be updated to reflect having a proper array of adapters for overnight guests who suffer with other EV’s.

That’s good to know. Expensive, but nice to know it exists. Is this going to be like having bath towels and spare new toothbrushes? Etiquette manuals will need to be updated to reflect having a proper array of adapters for overnight guests who suffer with other EV’s.
At home to charge my Model Y I use a non-Tesla EVSE and my Tesla to J1772 adapter that came with my Model Y. The Tesla Mobile Connector (Wall Connector too) charging cord is 18.5 feet long, I needed a longer charging cord so I don't have to back my Model Y into my garage to be able to plug in, charge.

First. I would solidify your charging solution if you have not already that will greatly improve your ownership experience. You would probably want at least a 60 amp capable conduit brought from your source or your panel to a location near to where the car will be parked and you can connect your evse or wall connector or whatever to that or your mobile connector if you were to install a 14-50 plug.

Depending on if this is going to be your only electric vehicle you may want to do a dedicated panel and go up to 100 amps to have enough power to charge two cars future proof it while you're doing it.

And as others have said you might want to just live with it for a week or two or maybe longer to see what it is that it needs almost like food probably should taste it before you add salt and pepper.

Certainly getting floor mats is the first thing needed, the Tesla ones will not last very long.

Note: Best prices are on Chinese Web sites like aliexpress.com but if shipping take too long
you can use as temporary and economical solution a set of four 18" x 30" home door mats.
They will fit without any need to get cut and would do the job but of course specially designed floor mat will look nicer.

If your Model Y will be charged at home on your driveway or carport then the Tesla Wall Connector is the better choice. The Wall Connector is hard wired into the circuit so there is no receptacle and plug that has to be protected from rain etc. The Wall Connector is also weather rated meaning it can be exposed to rain, sleet snow etc. with no issue.

When looking at the cost of installing the Tesla Wall Connector ($500) versus installing a dedicated 240V receptacle such as the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and using the Tesla Mobile Connector the difference in cost is less than $200.

The Wall Connector is compatible with circuits rated from 15A to 60A with 60A enabling the fastest charging. If an electrician tells you that your current electrical service cannot support an additional 60A circuit but it can support a 50A or 40A then do that. The 50A circuit enables charging at 40A, the 40A circuit enables charging at 32A (this is the same as the Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter, capable of adding up to 29 miles of range per hour.)
Thanks for these comments. My situation is that my car will be on the driveway but my commute is minimal (40 miles round trip about 2-3 times a week). Do you still recommend I get a Tesla Wall Connector or 14-50? Who knows what my wife will do in the future (i.e., may get a Tesla too).

1 - Mud Flaps!!!

2 - I'm using a J1772 provided at a steep discount by my electricity company, I'd suggest looking into the ev programs yours may have as long as it's a 40amp charger it won't make a noticable difference in charging speeds. Only caveat here is to remove your device from any smart charging network they may be using so you only have to control charging from the Tesla app.

3 - I'm in a major city in the North East that loves to salt roads visibly white and plan on keeping the car until it dies so I did a
full PPF wrap for 5k.

4 - I'd reconsider anything but the 19 Gemini for range and because curb rash is very real
Mud flaps are definitely on my list. Thanks for the other advice.