Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered. Thoughts and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed my order while in the Palo Alto store Sunday (live near Fremont but work just up the road fron the Palo Alto shop).
I was in the system with an order placed on Sept 30.
Walked into the store yesterday to ask a fee random questions as I am geeking out, and noticed that an hour later my order was changed to ordered on Oct 3rd

Mildly wondering if I should worry about that...

So... I ordered the default model 3 available these days (premium), but in red.

I had 3 opportunities to take an obsidian black instead but the wife talked me down from it reminding me what color I really wanted... :)

(This might be what reset my order... sept 30 they had one O.black in Fremont but it sold while I was trying to talk myself into it, and yesterday they had 2, which I paused on, and then decided (with assistance) against.

So...

Not that anyone can answer... but how glued to my account page waiting to see a VIN number should I be? ;)

I have slightly to seriously unrealistic hopes here. Monday I return my VW TDI (diesel) Jetta to volkswagon... my hope was to basically catch an uber from there to Tesla and then drive home... when I told this to Tesla last week they told me I was aking too early, but I think I actually asked too late.

They’re telling me I will get a car in October... which could be anytime between now and Halloween...

Next thing to wonder... getting the power setup for the house. Any Bay Area folks with experience on getting this done, quickly, and at reasonable cost?
I will be going from a junction box for my Tesla solar inside my garage to... basically anywhere within 1-10 feet of that to put a random plug without any need to rip up floor or walls unless there is some legal code requiring it be buried under a squirrel during a full moon or whatever.

Highly obscure question:
For folks with Tesla solar or powerwalls... back when I got the solar they said “hey if you have or get a Tesla car you can get a second powerwall for free”. Now all my attempts to contact my sales agent from the home solar have gone nowhere. SolarCity/Tesla sales says she still works there. Even gave me her direct number... but that’s a generic voicemail box with the standard unset computer greeting.

So anyone ever hear of any powerwall deals for people with both tesla solar and a tesla car?
- even if I could get an actual Tesla person to say “yeah no that deal doesn’t exist” at least I’d stop wondering...

My last thought is... the other day while geeking out over “want my car now” I found out a friend has been sitting on a pre-order reservation he is not sure about because he’s not sure Tesla is worth getting... do I talk him into joining me on the road in matching colors or look at him sideways with a “your loss buddy, but if you happen to leave that reservation on the table somewhere, imma gonna snatch it up” glance?

(sales people told me a lot of reservations have gone unclaimed... which I found surprising as I thought you had to put a few thousand down to make one back in the day...)

Many reservation holders are still waiting for their cars, and an October Delivery is an Elon Time estimate. Don't sell your car just yet. You might well get it before then, but don't be upset if you don't. People that reserved 2 years ago are still waiting for AWD's!

No Idea on the power wall.

I don't know the electrical code but I was not able to use the junction box / sub panel that my non-tesla solar is on. For one, the conduit was too full to run more wires from the panel to that sub panel and you need fairly large wire for a 14-50 (I ued 4awg and tesla recommends 6 awg).

The VW isn’t a sale. It’s the recall scandal. October 8th and they have to pay me for the Jetta what it was worth in 2015 the day before they got caught, plus a penalty for it being an intentional lie. VW gave me a choice of dates and I went with the one I went with to ensure I could avoid adding too many miles and giving them the ability to lower the payout.

By accident I played that one smart... I am at the near deadline for the court settlement and I spent the last year working from home and adding no miles to it. So I am way under the miles ‘expected’ in VW’s court settlement, and got bumped up in my payout by waiting till “the last minute”.

I get a rare moment where a car de-facto ‘appreciated’ (but it will be junk to VW), but I lose some control over the timing.

So that’s basically my Tesla 3 downpayment.

Oct 9, I’m either in a 3, or driving the wife’s car because I have the longer commute.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden