Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up new car - couple of issues- Should I return it?

would you return it?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery of my second M3 LR RWD today. Noticed some issues right after first 100 miles. I’d like people’s opinion on if I should return this car and reorder or if I should go the service center route... I don’t want to be too picky and I’m wondering if it’s worth going through the return process.

1. Brakes making a rubbing / swooshing noise when they’re used. Especially at low speeds.

2. Constant fan noise from behind front dash. My car has HW3. Could be related?

3. Strut on frunk is broken and won’t open all the way

4. Some rattle noises in front and back of car

5. Power seats stutter a bit when being adjusted.

Last 3 aren’t that huge of a problem. Wondering if this is worth a return. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
So I just took delivery of my second M3 LR RWD today. Noticed some issues right after first 100 miles. I’d like people’s opinion on if I should return this car and reorder or if I should go the service center route... I don’t want to be too picky and I’m wondering if it’s worth going through the return process.

1. Brakes making a rubbing / swooshing noise when they’re used. Especially at low speeds.

Last 3 aren’t that huge of a problem. Wondering if this is worth a return. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Vin range?

I’d see if they can fix those things before returning but I’m guessing they won’t be able to fix them within the trial period.

Really good advice. Thank you everyone for your input. Service center is near me but the earliest appointment isn’t till next week which puts me out of the trial period. I’ll call them and see if they can make an exception. Thanks again everyone!

Vin is 332k range

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
IMO, this really doesn't fall into the category where they need "make an exception" to get you in. It's a brand new car. It's nice of you to call and ask them first, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't say to come right in at your convenience.

I think most new owners would just pick a day where they can afford to be waiting around a while, and just head in. My Tesla dealer told me to do just this when I took delivery If I found anything wrong.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: UTMB and omar
Even if you can drop it off they won't be able to fix that stuff for a day to two (they generally won't even look at the car for a day or two, much less fix it). That stuff sounds pretty minor so I wouldn't worry if it were mine, but Tesla's quality isn't what it needs to be so I encourage returning (only way they get the message) if you can wait for another.

Even if you can drop it off they won't be able to fix that stuff for a day to two (they generally won't even look at the car for a day or two, much less fix it). That stuff sounds pretty minor so I wouldn't worry if it were mine, but Tesla's quality isn't what it needs to be so I encourage returning (only way they get the message) if you can wait for another.
If people keep taking advantage of the return period for minor flaws, Tesla will either get rid of the return policy or step up their QC process. Which will be financially more beneficial is not a simple matter either.

Reactions: brkaus and omar
Is this a demo or inventory car?

Except for the brake gently “whooshing” at the very end of a stop, my new April built LR AWD has none of these things. I’m astounded that a new Model 3 would be delivered with a broken front trunk strut. Hard to give you a binary answer on whether to return it, but I would have had no problem returning it if the SC didn’t offer to fix the strut immediately. That is supposed to work; the charging shiznit is stored in the frunk and you shouldn’t have to look in with one eye while you feel around for that J1772.

Oh, I remember that neither AP nor Sentry were available when the car was delivered, but the team stayed in close touch during the first 48 hours (over the weekend). AP showed up after 150 miles of driving, and Sentry with the .12 update.

• Helpful
Reactions: omar

It's really hard to troubleshoot noise-related description over the internet. But let's try:
1. Brake bugging could be as innocuous as pads bedding in, or a rock stuck between the rotor and dust shield. Or it could be a stuck caliper. Proposed action: If you know how, bed in the pads properly. If not, try a few hard, but non-ABS inducing stops from 80-20, and see if the noise changes or goes away.

I didn't have 2-5 in my March delivery TM3.
2. Is it loud enough to bother you? If yes, it will only get worse with time. Proposed action: take it in and get Tesla SC to fix it, else return the car.
3. Definitely manufacturing defect. Proposed action: take it in and get Tesla SC to fix it, else return the car.
4. You would need to be specific, or find ways to replicate the noises on demand, if you want someone to trouble shoot this.
5. Same issue with both seats, or just one? Proposed action: take it in and get Tesla SC to fix it, else return the car.

Based on my experience with SC's - if you don't camp out in front of the SC, and force them to address your concerns, nothing will get done. For weeks. Or for months.

Personally, I would not put up with this crap (some of it is just sloppy QC and lack of pre-delivery prep of any kind), return the car, and order a new one.
But give Tesla SC at least one (1) chance to make it right for you within the window of the return period.

If people keep taking advantage of the return period for minor flaws, Tesla will either get rid of the return policy or step up their QC process. Which will be financially more beneficial is not a simple matter either.

Or pay their people to do proper pre-delivery prep, instead of pushing the troubleshooting onto the customers.
Frankly, I'm OK with all three outcomes.

But as a customer, not doing anything and making excuses for shoddy QC and prep work is not the way to go.

a

Last edited:
This is so awesome. This is why I love the forum! I've been struggling with this decision and everyone's input has helped.

My final action is I'm taking it into the SC today and giving them one shot. If they can't fix everything before the return period I'm returning it.
PS- @afadeev Thanks for your detailed suggestions! I'll try them out!

Last edited:
Reactions: dloop
How did you order rwd LR? I thought they discontinued that trim

You have to call a local dealer and make an "off menu" order.

You can get visit a Tesla store (or call one?) to get an inventory LR rear motor.

Just asked about that and they won't do replacements. I have to return, wait about a month for the check, then re-buy. Luckily I have another car at the moment.