Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Upgraded Wall Charger from 2.0 to 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using a 2.0 Wall Charger with 24' cable for a couple years now. I installed it myself after an electrician ran a wire from my panel to my garage. It was relatively easy to install. When I read about 3.0 I thought it would be good to upgrade, especially since I'm having solar + powerwall installed at the end of this month (August, 2020) and the WiFi communication with the powerwalls sounds like a good idea.

The things I did not like about 2.0 is the overall weight and length of the cable. I could not get away with the 8' cable, given my install location, but 24' was about 6' too long. There was really no other downsides to the 2.0 once it is installed, since install of the 2.0 is a one-time downside.

I found a 3.0 on eBay for $700, so I grabbed it. Install is brainless (as long as you remember to shut off the breaker you should be golden). The mounting plate is also the wiring plate. Other than needing to have the proper drill bit for back-of-plate wire feed, no special tools are involved. The 2.0 install required a security Torx-20 bit (came with the unit) and also a Torx-10 bit for other screws (not included). The 3.0 uses a bit that comes with the kit and all screws use the same bit.

Setup was also really easy, but one word of caution: When you set up the WiFi network for the first time, it may SEEM like it did not connect to your network, but it did. Mine appeared to not connect, but checking my list of connected devices, I found it. You first access the Wall Connector through it's internal IP address, but once it connects to your WiFi you will access the Wall Connector through that IP going forward (I even reserved the IP it was assigned for it going forward). According to my Google Mesh, it pings the mother ship daily.

The cable is 18' instead of 24' and is SO MUCH EASIER TO MANAGE. Lighter and thinner. For this reason alone I am happy I upgraded. It will be interesting to see how it interfaces with the powerwalls once I have them installed. Side note: I am planning on videoing the entire install of solar + powerwalls, so stay tuned!

As for my 2.0, I gave it to a friend of mine who just bought a Model Y on my recommendation. As for finding a 3.0, keep an eye on eBay. I know many of them are selling for $900+, but I got lucky and found someone selling his for a Buy-it-now of $700. You could also wait until they are back in stock on the tesla store.

I have been using a 2.0 Wall Charger with 24' cable for a couple years now. I installed it myself after an electrician ran a wire from my panel to my garage. It was relatively easy to install. When I read about 3.0 I thought it would be good to upgrade, especially since I'm having solar + powerwall installed at the end of this month (August, 2020) and the WiFi communication with the powerwalls sounds like a good idea.

The things I did not like about 2.0 is the overall weight and length of the cable. I could not get away with the 8' cable, given my install location, but 24' was about 6' too long. There was really no other downsides to the 2.0 once it is installed, since install of the 2.0 is a one-time downside.

I found a 3.0 on eBay for $700, so I grabbed it. Install is brainless (as long as you remember to shut off the breaker you should be golden). The mounting plate is also the wiring plate. Other than needing to have the proper drill bit for back-of-plate wire feed, no special tools are involved. The 2.0 install required a security Torx-20 bit (came with the unit) and also a Torx-10 bit for other screws (not included). The 3.0 uses a bit that comes with the kit and all screws use the same bit.

Setup was also really easy, but one word of caution: When you set up the WiFi network for the first time, it may SEEM like it did not connect to your network, but it did. Mine appeared to not connect, but checking my list of connected devices, I found it. You first access the Wall Connector through it's internal IP address, but once it connects to your WiFi you will access the Wall Connector through that IP going forward (I even reserved the IP it was assigned for it going forward). According to my Google Mesh, it pings the mother ship daily.

The cable is 18' instead of 24' and is SO MUCH EASIER TO MANAGE. Lighter and thinner. For this reason alone I am happy I upgraded. It will be interesting to see how it interfaces with the powerwalls once I have them installed. Side note: I am planning on videoing the entire install of solar + powerwalls, so stay tuned!

As for my 2.0, I gave it to a friend of mine who just bought a Model Y on my recommendation. As for finding a 3.0, keep an eye on eBay. I know many of them are selling for $900+, but I got lucky and found someone selling his for a Buy-it-now of $700. You could also wait until they are back in stock on the tesla store.

Am I missing something? Why would you pay $700-$900 for a gen 3 HPWC when they can be had brand new for $500 from Tesla? I realize they're currently OOS as of this post but it's the newest version of the HPWC so it will be restocked as they're still producing them.

The reason the Gen 2 is going up in value is because they're no longer in production by Tesla and it has differences that some people want that the newest version can't provide. I don't understanding paying 50-100% more for an item that is still in production that will be back in stock any time now.

Am I missing something? Why would you pay $700-$900 for a gen 3 HPWC when they can be had brand new for $500 from Tesla? I realize they're currently OOS as of this post but it's the newest version of the HPWC so it will be restocked as they're still producing them.

The reason the Gen 2 is going up in value is because they're no longer in production by Tesla and it has differences that some people want that the newest version can't provide. I don't understanding paying 50-100% more for an item that is still in production that will be back in stock any time now.

I paid exactly $700 for it, because, well, I wanted it.

There are soooo pretty. Just installed two.

0FB64CCE-EF27-4559-8CE6-951C2A168352.jpeg

We installed a gen3 a couple of months ago. My son-in-law was here a week ago and remarked it looked nicer than his (his is a gen1 or 2, glossy black). I guess it’s a matter of taste. I think glossy black would look pretty slick, depending on your garage’s decor.

The reason the Gen 2 is going up in value is because they're no longer in production by Tesla and it has differences that some people want that the newest version can't provide.
Yes, like 80 amp charging vs Gen 3's 48 amp max. Gen 2 resale value is also based on its simplicity and proven reliability. Personally I would never switch unless I needed the WiFi and provisioning capabilities, which few home users benefit from.

Reactions: Ostrichsak