Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kansas City Power & Light charging solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon,

I'm about to make a day trip to KC Power & Light district for the Big 12 basketball Tournament on March 14th. I've seen on ChargePoint there's between 50-70 public charging stations in the area. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which are easiest accessibility within walking distance to the Sprint Center.

Thanks in advance!

Should be able to get good answers here: Kansas City EV and Plug-In Vehicle Enthusiasts or here: Kansas City Tesla Enthusiasts Club

There's a CHAdeMO (not sure what you're driving) in a parking garage just a few blocks from the Sprint Center and it is pretty convenient to the hotels....but the charge to use the garage is relatively high and it is a hike if charging stops..and if you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter or you drive a Model 3. I'm not really sure of any free, easily accessible J1772 chargers, but some may have been added since last time I was up there for a show.

There are 2 sets of Superchargers and unless it absolutely won't work for you, the easiest thing is probably to top up at one of those and not worry about local charging. The Supercharger near the Bass Pro in Independence is a full 110 or 120kW Supercharger, the second one at a HyVee is just the 70kW urban version, but as you're coming from Manhattan it might be more along your planned route of travel.

Thank you for your response!

I am driving a Model 3, and plan to "top it off" in Topeka, about halfway between Manhattan and KC, but was just curious of other options while on site. I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, but am comfortable with J1772 and the provided adapter.

I've been to the Supercharger near HyVee up north, but may swing by there on the way out of town.

(I'll also figure out how to add a signature for my posts for the future. :))

Thanks again!

(I'll also figure out how to add a signature for my posts for the future. :))
Some forum features are limited in the immediate period after someone joins. Things like changing your avatar, being able to edit posts, etc. I don't remember specifically, but adding a signature may be one of those. If you aren't seeing a clear way to do so, try commenting in a few other threads and waiting a few days. It might be that you need to have X # of comments, or have been a member for X days.

They may not let you in, but there are three chargers in the garage that you enter on Walnut just south of 12th Street. I go to the gym there, and they have a sign that says "No Event Parking."

I believe there is another set in the Town Pavilion garage at 1211 Walnut, but they are CHAdeMO, so they probably wouldn't work.

Since you're going to have to pay to park anyway, your best bet is probably at 909 Walnut. The chargers are right inside the garage there, and you have to pay to park but I believe the chargers are free. Unless the weather is bad, it's not a bad walk to the Sprint Center from there.

www.chargehub.com has a map of all the KCPL charging stations, and you can zoom in to find options depending on where you are.

I would tend to agree with others and ‘top off’ at the Hyvee in kcmo (parkville).

There is a parking lot under Barney allis plaza that has a fair number of ChargePoint plugs. 12/Central 12/Wyandotte.

Kaufman center for the performing arts has a row too. But that would be a little bit of a walk.

I feel kcpl’s charge rates are higher than they should be for the speed they charge but in a pinch- hey it does the job. Consider getting charge point app if you haven’t because it can tell you in real time if kcpl charging stations are available.

Safe travels as welcome to KC!