Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep an Eye on Rear Passengers Entering, Prevent Smashed Fingers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit generic, but I've seen it happen three times now in Model 3's...

Tesla Model 3 front seat occupants should, in particular, use caution when closing the front doors anytime someone with mobility impairment is entering the back seat area.

As the driver, I've now witnessed three times when the person entering the back seat area grabbed onto the B pillar for stability and the front seat passenger closed the door, pinching the rear seat entrant's fingers between the window and the window seal along the B pillar. In none of the cases was there any major finger damage--in particular, no broken bones--, but in one case, the skin was partially ripped on one of the gentlemen's fingers.

But even so, it is the scariest of situations to hear the rear seat occupant screaming for his or her life, thinking serious damage has occurred, especially if the front seat occupant is slow to open that door.

To protect anyone with even the slightest impairment, whether it's simple distraction, alcohol intake or permanent disability--, I've made it a habit to tell passengers--especially those new to the car--to "hang on a second" while rear seat occupants get situated and close their doors first.

Everyone should remember that none of the Model 3s (not sure about s or X) have a handle in the ceiling above the doors. This is what my elderly parents look for when they get in, or sometimes there will be a handle on the inside of the B-Pillar or the A-pillar to help them support themselves as they lower into the seat. My Honda CRV had these as well as my Civic. My wife's Nissan Leaf even has these. This is why they are grabbing the b-pillar.

Most other cars have this handle along with something to hang something as well like a suit jacket on a hanger.

So just be careful I guess. Tesla must have been saving a bit and making assembly simpler.

Every time I take my 91 year-old mother somewhere in my Model 3, she gripes at me that there is no grab-bar to help her get into the passenger seat. She is so proud, she won't let me help her. This is very frustrating because all the other cars I have had, I'm pretty sure they had those bars. Was Tesla just trying to save money or what? I think having those bars would help with the problem described by the OP.