Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep Climate On - How long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what the Model S draws when heating, but my Model 3 runs about 10 miles an hour when cooling. Remember, not only is the car heating, it isn't sleeping. And don't forget that the displays probably stay on.

If you can find a campground, that would be nice.

If you arrive with a relatively high state of charge and a warm car, you should be OK if you're moderate with the temp. If you use a sleeping bag or blanket, you should be comfortable with the car in the low to mid 60s.
As stated above, it will use energy until the battery reaches 20%; so if you're not near a charger you should see how fast the range reduces before you sleep.

Not sure what the Model S draws when heating, but my Model 3 runs about 10 miles an hour when cooling.
That sounds like a lot. Last year during the eclipse I used "Keep climate on" for about 8 hours to keep my cooler and snacks from cooking. It was in the 90s that day, and I had it set in the upper 70s since I wasn't in the car; but it only used about 15 miles.

Not sure what the Model S draws when heating, but my Model 3 runs about 10 miles an hour when cooling. Remember, not only is the car heating, it isn't sleeping. And don't forget that the displays probably stay on.

The heater in the car is, unfortunately, resistive, which draws about 6kW from the battery. If you're not somewhere you can be plugged in while heating you're gonna burn through your battery pretty quick. I recommend getting a nice sleeping bag, warming the car up once, and then maybe one more time in the middle of the night if you really can't take the cold. Camper mode is better in the summer to cool the car, which doesn't use nearly as much energy.

The heater in the car is, unfortunately, resistive, which draws about 6kW from the battery.
6kW is correct, however it is the maximum it can draw. Once the car is warm is takes much less to keep it there; it will not draw 6kW all night even at 20F. I'd estimate more l like 1~2kW continuous, but at 2 you would lose about 60 miles in 10 hours of parking.

I am back from my trip. Outside temps dropped to 32F. I set heater at 65F all night and fan on 9. The car lost about 25 miles of range overnight. That was less than I expected. It was nice to have a warm place to sleep. My son is 5' tall so had no problem in back of MS. I am 5' 10" so my pillow was hanging off the headrest dropoff with back seats down. I had to shove some stuff over that area to give me enough headroom. But it worked great and gave a comfortable place to sleep.