Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for current (as of April 2024) info on upgrading 2018 MS (MCU2 HW2.5 EAP, 2024.8.9) to HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently driving a 2018 MS (MCU2 HW2.5 EAP). Thinking about upgrading ($1000) to HW3 and trying FSD before purchasing ($2000 currently). I am aware there are multiple threads on similar topics which are either non-MS threads or threads from 2021 as well as lots of conflicting answers posted so please no spear throwing.

1. What is specifically gained/lost (good or bad) with HW3 and FSD? Example, I've read you lose radar, I've heard (from my dealer) you dont lose radar. What specific FSD functions do I gain? Stop signs? etc

2. What is specifically gained/lost (good or bad) with HW3 and keeping EAP? Ive read better lane changing, speed limit sign reading (which my MS currently does sporadically whether based on geo-location or camera I dont know). Phantom breaking issues resolved? Stop light detection? (I do get some already in certain scenarios).

I dont mind paying $1000 for the hardware upgrade as long as the experience isnt worse regardless if I go to FSD or stay with EAP (hence the trial subscription). I just dont want to pay for something which makes the overall experience AND that Im stuck with.

Thanks in advance

I think anyone claiming any performance difference right now for basic autopilot functions between HW 2.5 and 3.0 is experiencing a major placebo effect. I don't think there's any reliable evidence whatsoever that the two behave differently in any measurable way. Pretty sure the radar is already disabled in your car with current firmware releases.

To my knowledge there are no specific functions you gain or lose. Certainly nothing worth $1,000.

IMO paying $1,000 to upgrade the computer is foolish when you can buy FSD for $2,000 and the computer upgrade is included. Put another way, $1,000 for the computer upgrade gets you absolutely nothing other than the ability to subscribe to FSD for $99/mo. So the computer upgrade plus 10 months of FSD subscription is $2,000.

Or you pay the same $2,000 and get FSD "forever".

Reactions: E90alex