Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping black paint clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always bought white cars but when after Tesla changed the standard color to white and my white M3P was totaled, I chose to change up the color. I actually bought black but that was because I had it wrapped with a dark color. Even so, it's crazy how much dust shows on a dark color paint. I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions on how to keep the car clean between washes. Has anyone used one of those California duster brushes? Do they work? What about a waterless spray product like Adams or Griots? Also found something called Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax all. Does that stuff mess up the finish by rubbing the dirt in? Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
I have always bought white cars but when after Tesla changed the standard color to white and my white M3P was totaled, I chose to change up the color. I actually bought black but that was because I had it wrapped with a dark color. Even so, it's crazy how much dust shows on a dark color paint. I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions on how to keep the car clean between washes. Has anyone used one of those California duster brushes? Do they work? What about a waterless spray product like Adams or Griots? Also found something called Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax all. Does that stuff mess up the finish by rubbing the dirt in? Any advice would be great.

There's nothing like a clean black car but boy are they hard to keep clean. This is why I go white with every vehicle, and I love the monochrome look whether it's white or black.

This is a tough one. I think a good quick detailer is the way to go, using best-practices about detailing and microfiber towels. Larry Kosilla (AMMO products) has great videos about this on his site, and they're useful no matter which products you use.

I have the Griot's Quick Detailer spray and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5CVMLU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It smells great, like Cherry Jolly Ranchers, and it provides proper lubrication you need to remove spots, bugs, etc. This paired with clean microfiber towels is a winner. I even take it on the road with me when I'm on a roadtrip.

I wouldn't use the dust brush most likely. Last thing I want to do is rub dry dust in to the paint, even with a light touch. Maybe they're safe but I prefer to spot-clean with a quick detailer.

Good luck!

Dirt shows up on all black and and white cars immediately. I got MSM specifically to disguise the dirt.

When I was deciding what color to go with, I did a lot of reading and someone else on a non-Tesla forum said it best:

Black isn't a color, it's a hobby.

I went with white, and my only regret is the bumper mismatch. If I could do it all over again, I'd still avoid black, but would be willing to go through a little extra hassle to keep the blue looking clean.

Reactions: mark95476
If you can find a touch less car wash located nearby they may offer an unlimited plan. That way you can wash your vehicle as often as you like.

There is so much glass on the Model Y that you can break down washing the exterior of the vehicle into 2 steps; Step 1 - clean the glass using a good glass cleaner such as Invisible Glass using paper towels followed by micro fiber towels so you don't get any streaks.

Step 2 - Have you tried Optimum No Rinse (ONR)? This product enables you to wash the vehicle anywhere using just 1 bucket, 2 gallons of water mixed with 2 oz of the ONR solution. There are some good videos on Youtube that show how to apply the ONR to one panel at a time using a sponge (the sponge should be a cross-cut type sponge for greatly increased surface area) or a wash mitt (some prefer to use multiple micro fiber towels.) Finally, dry the panel with a drying towel. With practice, using ONR, you can wash the Model Y in 30 to 40 minutes. You can safely use ONR on all of the exterior parts of the vehicles including the glass; I prefer to wash the glass panels separately.

The ONR product can be used to safely wash the vehicle without scratching the finish but you must follow the directions; you don't need to use the two bucket wash method when you use ONR but you do need to use a good grit guard inside the bucket of ONR solution to keep the encapsulated dirt on the bottom of the bucket away from the sponge or wash mitt. Use a spray bottle filled with some of the ONR solution and pre-spray each panel, wait 30 seconds or so before using the sponge or wash mitt to wipe off the panel.

There is original blue colored ONR Wash and Shine and a newer green colored ONR Wash and Wax. I have only used the original blue ONR Wash and Shine product. I plan to use ONR inside my garage to keep my Model Y clean over the winter. When it is not too cold I will use my power washer to first wash off any road salt, else use the commercial self wash car wash because their water is heated.

Admire your clean Model Y as much as possible right after it has been washed because it is sure to rain soon.

Last edited:
Ouch, I've owned 2 black cars and it's really a bitch to keep clean. Any dust or pollen immediately shows. You can keep a white car unwashed for weeks and it won't look anywhere near as dirty.

Ceramic coating is the way to go. You can DIY or at least get one of those ceramic spray, should last you 3-4 months depending on your environment.

I have the California duster. It only works if you have a good coat of wax already on top, then the duster could easily pick up fresh dusts. Anything that has gone over rain would not be.

If you have a garage, best to get a 1500/1600 psi (no more than that) pressure washer and grab a bottle of good soap (like CG watermelon), good soap spray bottle to boot. Plenty of YouTube videos that shows you how set this up and get going. After getting your car detailed and ceramic coated. You can avoid manual scrubbing with this method. Simply powerwash, spray soap and power wash again, then dry. You won't need any of those waterless washing chemicals, they are junk anyways.