Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Charging Unit Attached to NEMA14-50 for 24/7/365... or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks,

I have the charger that came with my Model-3 attached to the NEMA14-50 since the day it's installed (almost over a month now). Based on the miles I drive, I charge my car once a week (mostly on weekends).

So, will it 'hurt' the charger if it's connected to the NEMA socket all times or should it be disconnected and only connect it to NEMA14-50 when I have to charge the car?

Thanks.
S.

The Model 3 owner's manual says this:
"Tesla strongly recommends leaving Model 3 plugged in when not in
use. This maintains the Battery at the optimum level of charge."
Unless the cable is in your way, I'd do what the car maker says and leave it plugged in.

First I have a model S..... I actually purchased an extra charger on the Model S Store which does not have adapters. Only NEMA 14-50 which support 40a charging. Which I leave plugged in all the time. I also plug in my car every night with a charge limit of 80%. I seldom drop below 60%. Tesla says a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla (something like that). And I do not worry about it.

On the description it says S and X but I think some say they use it for the 3.
Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

I bought the extra charger because I did not want to deal with putting the mobile charger back in my car each time I may need it on the road. And I wanted to use the NEMA 14-50 instead of the wall mount Tesla Charger. Just my choice, nothing against the wall mounted charger. Now it is much cheaper to buy an extra mobile charger (before it was $500 vs $550). But is also limited to 32a charging where the older mobile charger was 40a charging.

Reactions: dedicatedtek
When I got my Model S 4 1/2 years ago, I purchased an additional MCU because the HPWC cost was twice as much at that time. That MCU has remained plugged in for 4 1/2/ years with no issues. Today, if I didn't have the extra MCU I would purchase a HPWC. My Tesla is plugged in whenever in the garage and I have that extra MCU with the car all the time.

Last edited:
The charger is in the car. You are referring to the charging cable.

Yes, just leave it plugged in, many people do.
I bought a second one, so that one would be in the car for emergencies

It's this charger am speaking about.. it comes with Model-3. My question is should I keep it connected to the NEMA14-50 all times or should I remove from the NEMA connector after the car is charged.

I only charge it over weekends upto 270 miles as I drive less than or around 200 miles on weekly basis.

upload_2018-10-25_13-1-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-25_13-0-32.png
    upload_2018-10-25_13-0-32.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 46
Yes, just as ewoodrick said already, that's not a charger. The charger is installed in the car. That's simply a cable that Tesla calls a Connector, as in Universal Mobile Connector or now Mobile Connector.. You've asked the same question twice now. Beginning to look like you don't like or believe those answers and are going to keep asking until you get an answer you like. So remove it if you wish. Doesn't matter to us that much.

And as voidptr said the contacts will wear. However do so and eventually some day your 3 will not charge and the adapter will like start smelling as it burns up. Happened before when the lugs become loose.

And as TexasEV said, why is this even a question - that you are repeating? Do you unplug the electrical cords of your lights, TV and computer every time you finish using that day? Okay, maybe you do.

It's this charger am speaking about.. it comes with Model-3. My question is should I keep it connected to the NEMA14-50 all times or should I remove from the NEMA connector after the car is charged.

I only charge it over weekends upto 270 miles as I drive less than or around 200 miles on weekly basis.

View attachment 346892

You can just leave it plug in to the NEMA14-50 plug. I recommend getting the Tesla cable organizer for $25 from Tesla so you can just hang your charging cable there. Also you should keep your J1772 adapter in the car in case you need to charge from non superchargers.

You can just leave it plug in to the NEMA14-50 plug. I recommend getting the Tesla cable organizer for $25 from Tesla so you can just hang your charging cable there. Also you should keep your J1772 adapter in the car in case you need to charge from non superchargers.
Yes, just as ewoodrick said already, that's not a charger. The charger is installed in the car. That's simply a cable that Tesla calls a Connector, as in Universal Mobile Connector or now Mobile Connector.. You've asked the same question twice now. Beginning to look like you don't like or believe those answers and are going to keep asking until you get an answer you like. So remove it if you wish. Doesn't matter to us that much.

And as voidptr said the contacts will wear. However do so and eventually some day your 3 will not charge and the adapter will like start smelling as it burns up. Happened before when the lugs become loose.

And as TexasEV said, why is this even a question - that you are repeating? Do you unplug the electrical cords of your lights, TV and computer every time you finish using that day? Okay, maybe you do.

Hello,

Perfect!! Thanks a lot, will leave it connected to the NEMA14-50 going forward. Just wasn't sure if its going to be an issue, thanks again!

I once knew a guy who did, at least with his entertainment center. He couldn't bear the thought of paying for electricity to keep the TV and DVD in standby mode. And this was around 2000, before Smart TVs and DVRs actually had any appreciable standby power requirements. Seemed like a lot of effort to me to save maybe $1/year, and he probably ended up wearing out and buying a replacement power strip faster than any electricity savings.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I once knew a guy who did, at least with his entertainment center. He couldn't bear the thought of paying for electricity to keep the TV and DVD in standby mode. And this was around 2000, before Smart TVs and DVRs actually had any appreciable standby power requirements. Seemed like a lot of effort to me to save maybe $1/year, and he probably ended up wearing out and buying a replacement power strip faster than any electricity savings.

More than worrying about paying for electricity, was more concerned about the connector failing after being connected to the NEMA14-50 for 24/7.

Had a flat screen that was connected all times to the power plug, one day just conked off.

More than worrying about paying for electricity, was more concerned about the connector failing after being connected to the NEMA14-50 for 24/7.
As was already mentioned, it is much more likely that constant plugging/unplugging will wear out the connectors in the outlet. NEMA 14-50 is not really designed for a high number of mating cycles, particularly the inexpensive residential-grade versions.