Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card question: Is tap to drive needed if the key card was used to unlock the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SDKoala

M3LR RWD / MYLR
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Despite all my phone key struggles, I don't use the key card at all, instead choosing to stand next to the door cursing at my car and my phone until I get the car to unlock. I tried using it to see how it behaved after reading another thread and noticed a few weird things. Of course, I did all this without my phone anywhere near where the Bluetooth LE key could interfere.
  1. If I unlock the car with the key card on exterior card reader, I can press the brake to start the car and put it in gear without tapping the card again on the interior card reader under the arm rest. Is this normal? It seems like a security flaw to allow driving just from unlocking the door. I would have expected it to prompt me for the key card again to drive after unlocking the car with it. Does this happen to anyone else?
  2. I have mirror auto-fold in and walk-away lock on. My car does not automatically lock if the key card was used to enter it, which I would expect. If I press the lock icon on the display while the door is open, the doors lock when I close it--again which I would expect. However, the mirrors do not auto-fold when the car is locked this away. If I use the key card to lock the car from the outside, the mirrors do auto-fold.
I'm going to send an e-mail report about these behaviors to Tesla and see what they say, but they usually take weeks to respond, so I wanted to see what everyone else is noticing in the meantime.

I just answered my first question by actually reading the manual. There's a 2 minute authentication period after tapping the car to unlock the car that allows you to start the car without tapping again.

Capture.PNG

Still curious about the second question, though.

My car does not automatically lock if the key card was used to enter it, which I would expect.
How will the car know that you have walked away, if you don't have the phone with you and are using the keycard.?

That is why if you don't have the phone (or turned the BT off) and you unlock with your keycard - then you need to lock it the same way by touching near the door sill.

Seems legit to me.

How will the car know that you have walked away, if you don't have the phone with you and are using the keycard.?

That is why if you don't have the phone (or turned the BT off) and you unlock with your keycard - then you need to lock it the same way by touching near the door sill.

Seems legit to me.

...which is why I wrote that it works as expected. There's some disagreement in another thread about that.