Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key & Profile question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had our new MYP for a few days now, & starting to learn my way around all of its settings, etc. One thing that I can't get squared away is associating profiles with keys.

I set up 2 profiles, one for my wife & one for myself. When we select a profile on the screen, the seats, mirror & steering wheel all adjust as desired for that profile.

We went through the steps to use our phones as keys; both show up on the screen & work fine.

I then went through the steps to associate each of our phone keys with the desired profile. However, when we unlock the car, the profile alway remains set to whichever of us opened the car previously. No adjustments happen until we select the desired profile on the screen.

Any suggestions on what I'm missing? Thanks!

@Stevedore When this happens, are you both physically near the car, both with your phones present? If so, I think the car does not know which key (phone) to use since both are present, and thus it just defaults to whichever of the two was last used. I think this is unavoidable using phone as key, unfortunately. If you were to use your key *card* to unlock the car via the driver's side door pillar, there should be no ambiguity and it should load the correct profile associated to the card. Or, just manually switch profiles as needed when it gets it wrong.

Thanks for the replies, I think I have it straightened out now. When I was first setting it up, I probably had both phones too close to the car, so the car just left the profile selection as it was from the last driver, as @srlawren mentioned. Now when I leave one of the phones further into the house, the car switches the profile (seats, mirrors, etc.) according to whichever phone I bring to the car.

This was somewhat important to me, since it's difficult for me to get into the car if it's set to my wife's profile. (I'm taller, & don't bend as well!)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@Stevedore When this happens, are you both physically near the car, both with your phones present? If so, I think the car does not know which key (phone) to use since both are present, and thus it just defaults to whichever of the two was last used. I think this is unavoidable using phone as key, unfortunately. If you were to use your key *card* to unlock the car via the driver's side door pillar, there should be no ambiguity and it should load the correct profile associated to the card. Or, just manually switch profiles as needed when it gets it wrong.
Thanks for posting this as I've been messing with it all morning. Same thing, both phones were near the car. The procedure we will use going forward is to have whoever is going to drive approach the car first when we are leaving together. When we are alone it works perfectly of course. Thanks again.

Marc

Thanks for posting this as I've been messing with it all morning. Same thing, both phones were near the car. The procedure we will use going forward is to have whoever is going to drive approach the car first when we are leaving together. When we are alone it works perfectly of course. Thanks again.

Marc

@marcparnes another technique that work (I forget if I've posted this already) is to have the passenger turn off bluetooth before approaching the car and then turn it back on once you're in and the car "started" (foot on the break pedal once to get the gear icons to show up on the screen). This way the passenger's phone is essentially invisible to the car when it is looking for a key.