Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Able to drive off without my phone on board!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times now i have left my phone in my house and gone out to work, disonnected the charger, and driven about 200 yards or so from my house without thinking anything is wrong when the car signals that my key card is not in the car (i check my pocket and yes, didnt have my phone). Now my wife usually goes to work at the same time as me so i can understand how the charger is able to be disconnected as she would be close by and we both have access to each others Teslas but the strange thing is that when i stop and turn round to go back home to get my phone i check the driver profile expecting to see my wifes driving profile as she could have been the one to unlock it unknowinly but it is always mine!!! I cant for the life of me work out how my profile is being loaded when my phone is no where near the car....! Any one have any ideas??

This has happened to me a couple times when I have left my cell phone in my bedroom. The bedroom is adjacent to the garage on the second floor so in "line of sight" the cell phone isn't that far, probably 8 feet max. Normally the car won't even unlock unless the phone is within 2 feet but the bluetooth protocol being what it is, glitches like that can happen.

This has happened to me a couple times when I have left my cell phone in my bedroom. The bedroom is adjacent to the garage on the second floor so in "line of sight" the cell phone isn't that far, probably 8 feet max. Normally the car won't even unlock unless the phone is within 2 feet but the bluetooth protocol being what it is, glitches like that can happen.
My phone was on the first floor about 20' away and still have that weird thing where it used my profile if it was indeed my wifes phone that had enabled me to unhook the charge cable and open the door... Still puzzling, so we are going to try it in reverse next time we can with her car and my phone to see if we get the same result!!

By chance did she get a new phone recently and it hasn't been set to her profile in your car? I had that issue where the profiles weren't auto switching when we would get in. We both got new phones about the same time and it would stay the last driver profile no matter who got in the car. Had to re-map the phone to the profiles to get it to auto switch again.

By chance did she get a new phone recently and it hasn't been set to her profile in your car? I had that issue where the profiles weren't auto switching when we would get in. We both got new phones about the same time and it would stay the last driver profile no matter who got in the car. Had to re-map the phone to the profiles to get it to auto switch again.
Nope, we have had both our phones for the same amount of time now - at least 2 years before we got our Teslas

Its at least 20' away and my phone is on the first floor of my home
Do you keep the car locked or unlocked at home? If unlocked, it doesn't need a key to remove the charge plug. Waking the car is sufficient.

Is your wife's phone-as-key set to pick her driver profile in your car? (Even if you set it, check again since sometimes a software update will randomly drop a setting. Also the UI is confusing: Key can -> select profile which can -> select a default Bluetooth device for phone calls etc.)

If so, that rules out the hypothesis that her phone is unlocking and starting your car in these cases.