Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keys locked in the car (for real)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm loving my "new to me" 2018 MS P100D but coming from a 2018 Chevy Bolt has raised quite a few surprises. Not having an actual ON/OFF button is one of them. Today I was with my father-in-law and stopped to pick up a friend. As it was hot I wanted to leave the AC on for him while I got my friend. I knew as soon as I got out of the car it would turn off, so I thought I would be clever and left my fob on the center console. My phone was also charging in the car.

But when I got out I heard the AC fans spin down. "So much for trying to be clever", I thought. I returned 2 mins later with my friend to discover the handles had retracted and would not open. I suddenly realized I was locked out!!

Luckily my father-in-law was in the car and just as I gestured to him to open the door, I also noticed sentry was activated. We suddenly discovered the alarm works. O-M-G!! Whatever hearing my father-in-law had left is now gone!!!

I came here to find out what I had done wrong and am shocked to discover that the MS will happily and quickly lock you out of your car!! This seriously cannot be true. My Chevy Bolt will honk 3 times to warn you that you have left the keys in the car.

So back to my original problem... how does a driver leave a MS turned on so that the passenger can still use media, AC etc? Is turning on Dog Mode the non-obvious solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm loving my "new to me" 2018 MS P100D but coming from a 2018 Chevy Bolt has raised quite a few surprises. Not having an actual ON/OFF button is one of them. Today I was with my father-in-law and stopped to pick up a friend. As it was hot I wanted to leave the AC on for him while I got my friend. I knew as soon as I got out of the car it would turn off, so I thought I would be clever and left my fob on the center console. My phone was also charging in the car.

But when I got out I heard the AC fans spin down. "So much for trying to be clever", I thought. I returned 2 mins later with my friend to discover the handles had retracted and would not open. I suddenly realized I was locked out!!

Luckily my father-in-law was in the car and just as I gestured to him to open the door, I also noticed sentry was activated. We suddenly discovered the alarm works. O-M-G!! Whatever hearing my father-in-law had left is now gone!!!

I came here to find out what I had done wrong and am shocked to discover that the MS will happily and quickly lock you out of your car!! This seriously cannot be true. My Chevy Bolt will honk 3 times to warn you that you have left the keys in the car.

So back to my original problem... how does a driver leave a MS turned on so that the passenger can still use media, AC etc? Is turning on Dog Mode the non-obvious solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Many threads on this, top suggestions
Camp mode (or Dog, but then doors are alarmed)
Or
Have them touch the screen after you get out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Captain Semtex