Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

L6-20 Adapter to Tesla 6-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a 6-50 adapter for home charging from Tesla. At work we have a L6-20 outlet. Is it possible without issues, to purchase a L6-20 to Nema 6-50 and then plug in using the existing tesla adapter I utilize at home? Just dont want to keep unplugging the adapter from the mobile connector if this makes sense.

There are always issues. Here's a synopsis:

Using a 6-50 to L6-20 adapter like you describe:
1. The car will continue to try and draw 32a, which is too much for the L6-20. You'll have to manually dial the current down to 16a in the car.
2. You are defeating the temperature monitoring as mentioned above.
3. You'll be unplugging and replugging the 6-50 at home daily, which is not great.

Using the L6-20 adapter from EVSEadapters fixes the above issues, although I don't think plugging and unplugged the adapters from the UMC or leaving the 6-50 adapter hanging at home is good, either. Here's my personal take:

1. If you don't need to charge at work, then don't. Just leave your UMC plugged in at home. It's not worth a few free electrons, in my book.

2. If the need is occasional and you can predict in advance when you'll need to charge at work, get the EVSEadapters L6-20 adapter, and use it when needed.

3. If you truly do need to charge at work almost every day, then either get a second UMC or a wall connector to leave permanently at home. Get the EVSEadapters adapter and keep it and it's accompanying UMC in the car.

4. Convince the powers that be at work to install real EV charging.