Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Model Y doesn't have the sensors so Park Assist and a few bells and whistles isn't available. I get it. However, in their communication, Tesla doesn't say that plain vanilla Lane Assist (where the little car in the status window shows colored lines if you are too close to a car). This is not to be confused with Lane Departure Avoidance (when it alerts you by a shimmy of the steering wheel that you have gone over your lane). That too, BTW, is a feature they don't mention is unavailable. Perhaps I have it and always drive in my lane -- but I'd thing that if I changed lanes without putting my blinker on, it would activate. I'm NOT talking about auto steer or any of those autopilot functions. (I'll never use those). Anybody confirm that the Lane Assist function is not working on new cars.

There are A LOT of limitations to Lane Assist from the owner's manual. See below.

Limitations and Inaccuracies​

Lane Assist features cannot always detect lane markings and you may experience unnecessary or invalid warnings in these situations:
  • Visibility is poor and lane markings are not clearly visible (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
  • Bright light (such as from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight) is interfering with the view of the camera(s).
  • A vehicle in front of Model Y is blocking the view of the camera(s).
  • The windshield is obstructing the view of the camera(s) (fogged over, dirty, covered by a sticker, etc.).
  • Lane markings are excessively worn, have visible previous markings, have been adjusted due to road construction, or are changing quickly (for example, lanes branching off, crossing over, or merging).
  • The road is narrow or winding.
  • Objects or landscape features are casting strong shadows on lane markers.
Lane Assist may not provide warnings, or may apply inappropriate warnings, in these situations:
  • One or more of the sensors (if equipped) or cameras is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (by mud, ice, or snow, or by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coatings, etc.).
  • Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor operation.
  • The sensors (if equipped) are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
  • An object that is mounted to Model Y is interfering with and/or obstructing a sensor (such as a bike rack or a bumper sticker).
In addition, Lane Assist may not steer Model Y away from an adjacent vehicle, or may apply unnecessary or inappropriate steering, in these situations:
  • You are driving Model Y on sharp corners or on a curve at a relatively high speed.
  • Bright light (such as from oncoming headlights or direct sunlight) is interfering with the view of the camera(s).
  • You are drifting into another lane but an object (such as a vehicle) is not present.
  • A vehicle in another lane cuts in front of you or drifts into your driving lane.
  • Model Y is not traveling within the speeds at which the Lane Assist feature is designed to operate.
  • One or more of the sensors (if equipped) is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (such as by mud, ice, or snow, or by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.).
  • Weather conditions (heavy rain, snow, fog, or extremely hot or cold temperatures) are interfering with sensor operation.
  • The sensors (if equipped) are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
  • An object mounted to Model Y (such as a bike rack or a bumper sticker) is interfering with or obstructing a sensor.
  • Visibility is poor and lane markings are not clearly visible (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).
  • Lane markings are excessively worn, have visible previous markings, have been adjusted due to road construction or are changing quickly (for example, lanes branching off, crossing over, or merging).

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive and Mr_Joe
Upvote 0
My new Model Y doesn't have the sensors so Park Assist and a few bells and whistles isn't available. I get it. However, in their communication, Tesla doesn't say that plain vanilla Lane Assist (where the little car in the status window shows colored lines if you are too close to a car). This is not to be confused with Lane Departure Avoidance (when it alerts you by a shimmy of the steering wheel that you have gone over your lane). That too, BTW, is a feature they don't mention is unavailable. Perhaps I have it and always drive in my lane -- but I'd thing that if I changed lanes without putting my blinker on, it would activate. I'm NOT talking about auto steer or any of those autopilot functions. (I'll never use those). Anybody confirm that the Lane Assist function is not working on new cars.
You are kind of touching on multiple things there...
  1. Lake departure warning - the car gives you an audible or visual alert when you are drifting out of the lane
    Tesla doesn't do this, it does LKA below
  2. Lane keep assist - the car will nudge you back into your lane if you drift out (this supersedes LDW)
    Tesla does this about as well as everyone else.
  3. Blind spot warning - the car gives you a visual when there is a vehicle or object in your blind spot
    Tesla does this, but the alert is on the screen, so you probably won't see it most of the time. Other cars typically present the blind spot warning on the mirrors, dash, or HUD. (Tesla's implementation is functionally ineffective.)
  4. Blind spot intervention - this is my term; its when you start turning into a lane with a car or object and the car fires audible alerts and steers you back in
    I don't think Tesla does this. At least, mine hasn't when I have made mistakes.
I think you are asking about #2 above, right. That if you drift into a lane, or change lanes without your blinker. Will the car try to push you back into your lane?

Upvote 0
No the manual says that Lane Assist (plain vanilla) will show colored lines on the side of your car (in "car status" window--your mini-tesla on the road) if another car is next to you or in blind spot. On other hand: Lane Departure Avoidance warns you with a shimmy of the wheel if 1) you DON"T have a signal turned on and 2) you drift out of your lane. The warning is a shaking of the steering wheel (told it resembles rumble stripe feeling) --but it will not steer you away unless you have the steering assist button chosen within Controls>Autopilot>Lane Departure Avoidance. I don't want steering...just the shimmy. Hell, I'd just like the red lines and I assume that is linked to the lack of sensors. CAN ANYONE TELL ME I'M RIGHT. Will ask service people tomorrow. They may be able to shed light.

Upvote 1
No the manual says that Lane Assist (plain vanilla) will show colored lines on the side of your car (in "car status" window--your mini-tesla on the road) if another car is next to you or in blind spot. On other hand: Lane Departure Avoidance warns you with a shimmy of the wheel if 1) you DON"T have a signal turned on and 2) you drift out of your lane. The warning is a shaking of the steering wheel (told it resembles rumble stripe feeling) --but it will not steer you away unless you have the steering assist button chosen within Controls>Autopilot>Lane Departure Avoidance. I don't want steering...just the shimmy. Hell, I'd just like the red lines and I assume that is linked to the lack of sensors. CAN ANYONE TELL ME I'M RIGHT. Will ask service people tomorrow. They may be able to shed light.
Tesla calling it “Lane Assist” is confusing/misleading because I have a 2022 with USS and those colored parenthesis only pop up when driving really close to something like a wall or tall curb or yes other cars, but the cars have to be pretty close like 2-3 feet away. It does not do anything to help with maintaining the lane or blind spot monitoring that I can tell. Cars can be in my blind spot with no parenthesis showing up.

I have Lane Departure alert/avoidance turned on with steering correction assist and it doesn’t do anything most of the time. I can drift in and out of a lane without it yelling or vibrating or correcting steering. On the rare occasion it does do something, it just beeps and still lets me cross the line without any intervention.

But yes those colored parenthesis use the USS sensors mounted on the sides of the bumpers next to the wheel opening, so non USS cars will not show it until maybe Tesla enables the Vision park assist. However like I said you shouldn’t be missing much if any functionality in regards to lane assistance or blind spot without them (those functions are just naturally poor on all Teslas).

Upvote 0
I just took delivery of a new MYLR and it doesn't do anything even when the lane assist or warnings are selected and you depart lane even across center line. Going in for service next week.. I have a few more questions. Basic autopilot works fine.
I’ve found it’s very inconsistent in how it works.

Sometimes it just lets you cross the line with no visual or audible warning whatsoever like the line is not even there.

Sometimes it lets you cross the line without attempting to nudge you back but immediately beeps loudly at you to TAKE CONTROL OF STEERING IMMEDIATELY.

Sometimes it feels like the steering is pulling me TOWARDS the line??

And then once in a blue moon it bumps me back towards the center of the lane as you would expect any other lane departure assist system would do.

Reactions: agmonaco
Upvote 0