Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Watch capability on Touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife recently bought a Honday Odyssey mini-van and it has a feature that I didn't know existed but I think is totally awesome. Honda calls it LaneWatch.

Here is a video of how it works:

The sweet thing about this LaneWatch is that I can turn it on manually and take a glance at my screen while driving down the freeway. This lets me know exactly what's on my right side.

I would love to see Tesla make this function possible on the Model 3. The Model 3 has a camera mounted on the side of the car's front fender that might be able to serve the purpose. A software update could allow the lane image to temporarily pop up over the speed display.

Heck, as far as I know, Tesla already does this???

Ok, I guess it is a cute gimmick. I would only use it during parking, not while driving. I don't like looking down at anything when driving. Thankfully it is probably why I have never had an accident in my 50 years of 800,000 miles driving. Keep eyes on the road :D

Well, now that I think about it, I would not use it during parking either since my mirrors tilt down.

Honda either is playing around with what models this is on or phasing it out. I agree it is somewhat useful but I think just a blind spot warning and chime if you turn your blinker on while a car is detected next to you or in your blind spot is better.

Tesla is not into give me a "part of autonomous driving". They're into autopilot and fsd. Why have Honda feature when tesla can give us autopilot (eventually enhanced). Since tesla is limited on resources, they must pick what to deliver.

The picture might be a distraction. Other makers systems are audio warnings that give a loud warning (plus a visual in the mirror) when you activate the turn signal for a lane change (left or right) when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. It doesn't take your eyes off the road. I like the system in my car (Mercedes) and don't see how this would be better.

The picture might be a distraction. Other makers systems are audio warnings that give a loud warning (plus a visual in the mirror) when you activate the turn signal for a lane change (left or right) when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. It doesn't take your eyes off the road. I like the system in my car (Mercedes) and don't see how this would be better.

On my Odyssey I can keep my head pointed straight ahead and simply move my eyes maybe 10 degrees to the right to see the image on the screen. That image on my Odyssey is right about where the speed display would be on the Model 3, so I wouldn't be taking my eyes off the road hardly at all.

Without the LaneWatch on my car I figure I would have to turn my head about 25-30 degrees to the right and then turn my eyes even further in order to see out my side mirror. So the image on my center monitor is much more safe for me.

My car has audible sensors for collision avoidance and land departure, but those are useless for me. They both make the same sound, so so if I'm not looking at the road, I have no idea what I should do...hit the brakes, or make sure I'm in my lane. I have to look down on the instrument cluster in order to attempt to read the letters displayed that are telling me what the warning is for. Heck, by the time I read the letters I've either rear ended somebody or driven into on-coming traffic.

Likes are likes. So each person will like what appeals to them.