Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing a Non-Tesla EVs to use on Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I am thinking about my next EV and the obvious choice is a Model Y. I am coming from a 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV that has a 41kWh Tesla battery, Tesla drive unit and Tesla 40A on-board charger. There were only about 2,500 of these made but it's been a good car for me. Anyway, I want to consider all the other EVs out there and with the Supercharger network opening up, I think it's getting more practical to drive a non-Tesla car. Sure, we have a Model 3 that can already use the Supercharger network, but I want a little larger vehicle as the "road trip car".

If I'm going to use Superchargers, I don't want to be "that guy" that parks all wonky or prevents a Tesla from using the adjacent space because my charge port is in the wrong place. Has anyone else gone through the analysis of which cars have charge ports in compatible locations for existing V3 Superchargers? I know V4 is supposed to fix this with longer cables and centrally located pedestals.

These cars have the charge port at the rear on the driver's side:
  • Tesla Model 3, Y, S, X
  • Cadillac Escalade IQ
  • Chevy Hummer EV, Silverado EV
  • Polestar 2, Polestar 3
  • Volvo C40 / XC40 Recharge, EX30, EX90
These cars have the charge port at the front (grille):
  • Genesis GV70, GV80 (driver's side)
  • Hyundai Kona EV (driver's side)
  • Kia Niro EV (center)
These cars have the charge port on the front fender on the passenger side:
  • Nissan Ariya
These cars have the charge port on the front fender on the driver's side:
  • Acura ZDX
  • Audi eTron / Q8 eTron, eTron GT
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Chevy Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Blazer EV, Equinox EV
  • Fisker Ocean
  • Ford F-150 Lightning
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Honda Prologue
  • Jaguar iPace
  • Lucid Air
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Rivian R1T, R1S
  • Subaru Solterra
  • Toyota BZ4X
  • Vinfast VF8, VF9
These cars have the charge port at rear on the passenger side:
  • Audi Q4 eTron
  • BMW i3, i4, i5, iX
  • Genesis GV60
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6
  • Kia EV6, EV9
  • Mazda MX-30
  • Mercedes EQB, EQC, EQE, EQS (including SUV variants)
  • Mini Cooper SE
  • VW ID.4
Obviously, I've left off cars like the Nissan Leaf that have no chance of ever using the Supercharger network. I guess the most appealing cars to me that have a chance of reaching the charge port on a V3 Supercharger are the Volvo EX90, Polestar 3, and GV70. Although, I'm not sure the existing cables can reach the GV70 charge port.

What did I miss? Other vehicles? Other considerations?

Wow. Ok, what did you dislike the most about the C40/XC40 EV? I looked at used prices and they are quite high, like $40k for a used one when Audi eTrons are going for under $35k, but they're mostly a year or two older.
The good:

It looked great. The paint was excellent and the build quality (mostly) juat oozed solid quality. The only issue here were the rear quarter window trim squares. They would catch on the door molding when opening the rear doors. Some c40 forum members even ripped them off due to this. Otherwise, solid!

The HK sound system was very good.

The Nav being Google based (as was the cat) was unbelievably awesome. I cannot imagine better. On any trip you got an arrival SoC estimate that was, in my experience, within 1-2% of real, and it would route to chargers etc. It was just flat out awesome.

The AWD system was exceptional. Superb traction!

The Bad...

No battery preconditioning. Charging in the winter sucked big time.

Max charging kw 155. Not the worst. And the curve was ok, but still slow.

Volvo dealerships are relatively sparse.

The 113mph or 112mph or whatever speed limiter was pretty lame.

The handling was pretty terrible. The suspension was stiff, and steering precise but fully void of any feedback, and the car just refused to track in sweepers, while the staggered tire setup not only prevented front to rear rotation, but also cause understeer like badly.

The truly horrific:

Trade value...buddy...NOONE wants this car. In feb 2023, the dealer begrudgingly gave me $42k when I traded for my Kia. They told me they didnt even want my car. Said theyd ship it as soon as it hit their lot...and so they did. I followed it online until it sold. They marked it down to 47999 by the time it did sell, and it was CPO, so they gave me 42, paid to truck it to a state away, paid to CPO it, and then it sold for no more than 6k over what they gave me. Im betting less. Driveway offered me 42k for it as well, st that time. Later, July 1, for grins, I punched it into Vroom for an estimate...$18k. I put my Kia in (also 2023, and I fabricated mileage to be the same), and they offered $40k. The Volvo just...plummets.

The powertrain. It vibrated incessantly. Volvo has even acknowledged this is an issue. They have no fix. No cure. Just live with your $63K vibrating junk. Your hands begin to tingle from it as does your foot on the dead pedal. Hated it.

Sound deadening...it seems like it has none. If I turned off the radio, I could hear cell phone conversations in other cars at redlights. It was like riding a bloody bicycle. I became aware of a whole new world around me, lol!

I am thinking about my next EV and the obvious choice is a Model Y. I am coming from a 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV that has a 41kWh Tesla battery, Tesla drive unit and Tesla 40A on-board charger. There were only about 2,500 of these made but it's been a good car for me. Anyway, I want to consider all the other EVs out there and with the Supercharger network opening up, I think it's getting more practical to drive a non-Tesla car. Sure, we have a Model 3 that can already use the Supercharger network, but I want a little larger vehicle as the "road trip car".

If I'm going to use Superchargers, I don't want to be "that guy" that parks all wonky or prevents a Tesla from using the adjacent space because my charge port is in the wrong place. Has anyone else gone through the analysis of which cars have charge ports in compatible locations for existing V3 Superchargers? I know V4 is supposed to fix this with longer cables and centrally located pedestals.

These cars have the charge port at the rear on the driver's side:
  • Tesla Model 3, Y, S, X
  • Cadillac Escalade IQ
  • Chevy Hummer EV, Silverado EV
  • Polestar 2, Polestar 3
  • Volvo C40 / XC40 Recharge, EX30, EX90
These cars have the charge port at the front (grille):
  • Genesis GV70, GV80 (driver's side)
  • Hyundai Kona EV (driver's side)
  • Kia Niro EV (center)
These cars have the charge port on the front fender on the passenger side:
  • Nissan Ariya
These cars have the charge port on the front fender on the driver's side:
  • Acura ZDX
  • Audi eTron / Q8 eTron, eTron GT
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Chevy Bolt EV, Bolt EUV, Blazer EV, Equinox EV
  • Fisker Ocean
  • Ford F-150 Lightning
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Honda Prologue
  • Jaguar iPace
  • Lucid Air
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Rivian R1T, R1S
  • Subaru Solterra
  • Toyota BZ4X
  • Vinfast VF8, VF9
These cars have the charge port at rear on the passenger side:
  • Audi Q4 eTron
  • BMW i3, i4, i5, iX
  • Genesis GV60
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6
  • Kia EV6, EV9
  • Mazda MX-30
  • Mercedes EQB, EQC, EQE, EQS (including SUV variants)
  • Mini Cooper SE
  • VW ID.4
Obviously, I've left off cars like the Nissan Leaf that have no chance of ever using the Supercharger network. I guess the most appealing cars to me that have a chance of reaching the charge port on a V3 Supercharger are the Volvo EX90, Polestar 3, and GV70. Although, I'm not sure the existing cables can reach the GV70 charge port.

What did I miss? Other vehicles? Other considerations?
You are coming from a 2012 RAV4 and have Escalade and Hummer etc on your list? Why dont you narrow down your list first? What is the point of listing every EV made?

I was thinking of getting a Polestar 2 when selling my M3 recently but instead got another M3 LR due to not wanting to wait for supercharger availability via an adapter (at least the P*2 port is in a good location) and the resale value not being great, and a bit due to range. But I was tempted, and a P*3 or P*4 might be my next vehicle.

In my area, I wouldn't be comfortable going on trips with CSS. I've researched it out and the options are nowhere near as robust as superchargers in location and sheer number, not to mention reliability. (L3 only) But soon that won't matter. I just didn't want to have to deal with adapters. I'll use my current M3 as a "placeholder" till the floodgates open in 2025.

I'm not sure I'd be terribly concerned with or having the charge port location dictate my decision making and when the ports are built into the vehicle, will likely be located properly. I'd be more concerned with value, fit/finish, range and resale value. Dealer support and distance to service center(s). Long term viability of the company, etc.

Perhaps I'm naive but even with NACS adapters, you'd think when they start becoming available next year, they would be of a design that again, would prevent blocking stalls if for vehicles whose ports were in a location that was awkward. So again, I wouldn't let a CSS equipped vehicle determine my decision making too much. Other factors are much more important. Figure them out first and if that lands you to one that is CSS in an awkward position, then you might be able to contact that MFG and just ask them how they plan to support the NACS adapter with their port location.

Pulled up to a set of lights yesterday beside a Porsche Taycan Turbo. Jaw dropping price but I don't think he was worried about charge port location :).

I have heard nothing but good things from a friend who owns an EV6. They seem to be a solid pick outside of Tesla, along with the Ioniq5/6.

Your list is missing the upcoming Audi Q6. It’s also rumored the B10 A4 will be an EV, with the A5 continuing as a combustion/mild hybrid vehicle for the next generation.