Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to cut a partial quote from someone else's Post, but UserAnnon99 said “ I would never trust it around city streets.”
My user manual states “You can use Full Self-Driving (Beta) on any type of roadway, including residential and city streets.” Maybe that statement needs to be updated.

My understanding is the new cameras see a LOT better than the older ones. I consider this a downgrade. :) I am not at all into my car monitoring my eyes in real time especially when as you pointed out it can be overly cautious to the point of absurdity at times.

Also, I don't think your FSD suspension is actually 'permanent' but it is like 2 weeks which is still super annoying on something you dropped 12K on, more 'nanny' type stuff that very much offends my libertarian sensibilities.
I’m with you about too many Nancy systems. My 2021 Ram is at least as bad, though. Seems to be the way the insurance companies and lawyers are pushing us.

But I’m getting up there in personal mileage and I had high hopes that “The most advanced Self Driving Car in world” would help with the 180 mile drive to my chemo treatments and back. To say I’m profoundly dissapointed would be an understatement.

Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to cut a partial quote from someone else's Post, but UserAnnon99 said “ I would never trust it around city streets.”
My user manual states “You can use Full Self-Driving (Beta) on any type of roadway, including residential and city streets.” Maybe that statement needs to be updated.
"can use" does not mean trust.

2017 GM hands-off SuperCruise has trusted its customers during its operation and does not require hands-on.

That's the opposite of Tesla system since its first introduction in 2014 AP1 and now 2023 AP4:

"Warning
Full Self-Driving (Beta) is a hands-on feature that requires you to pay attention to the road at all times. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times, be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic, pay attention to pedestrians and cyclists, and always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the limitations of Full Self-Driving (Beta) and the situations in which it may not work as expected. For more information, see Limitations and Warnings."

If it could be trusted, it should have been hands-off since 2014 and we don't need to wonder about that question 9 years later in 2023.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, NHTSA doesn't track data regarding L1 and L2 systems just yet. They've started requesting that data, so in the coming years we'll likely see more information regarding crashes with those systems. This will help us understand how many of the hundreds of thousands of crashes per year involve adaptive cruise control (w/wo lane keeping). Hell, it would be interesting to know how many crashes involve "dumb" cruise control (inattentive driver).

Nevertheless, I feel like I have been misled by Tesla. My suggestion is for them to sell cars with whatever hardware is necessary for what they are advertising (like Self Parking and Summons) it costs so the buyer gets what they are after, and a reduced price for a model that doesn’t promise anything the buyer is’nt looking for. I would change the name of “FSD (beta)” to “Tesla Self Driving” with all the caveats they feel are needed to protect themselves legally.

jjay - as has been stated before in several posts - FSD is a sales gimmick, Tesla are baiting you to buy it with promises of what will happen 'shortly' but never does.
We have an adage here in the UK: "Buyer beware". When forking out thousands of dollars for something - it is assumed the purchaser has done their due dilligence before signing the cheque.
If anyone who bought a Tesla because they thought it could perform miracles in the autonomous driving arena - then obviously they have done zero due dilligence.
We have another saying: "A fool and their money are soon parted..........."

Reactions: zoomer0056
Traditionally, “beta testing” is done by volunteer or paid “beta testers,” not fools like me who actually pay to do it. What was I thinking? I guess I should have seen through the (beta) tag and realized that’s it is more like a disclaimer on a financial statement. They believe they can do anything they like without recourse since they have advised you to do your own due diligence.
jjay - as has been stated before in several posts - FSD is a sales gimmick, Tesla are baiting you to buy it with promises of what will happen 'shortly' but never does.
We have an adage here in the UK: "Buyer beware". When forking out thousands of dollars for something - it is assumed the purchaser has done their due dilligence before signing the cheque.
If anyone who bought a Tesla because they thought it could perform miracles in the autonomous driving arena - then obviously they have done zero due dilligence.
We have another saying: "A fool and their money are soon parted..........."

… Did a road trip without the wife, who assumed she would never see me again from the few times I showed her autopilot...

… My wife felt the same way when I first took a test drive on a MYP. Her instructions were that I could only "accelerate" while alone, so the comment of never seeing you again was spot on…
My wife flatly refuses to learn to drive my new MYP. She hates it when it does something she does not expect — safe or not (like the “suicide dive of death” into the left turn lane or third, passing lane going up a long hill).

I lost a lot of her respect for paying for something so “quirky.” We have a couple of other cars to drive (2003 Mercedes SLK 320; not even a backup camera and a 2021 RAM TRX). Although she has never really liked the truck, either, she always wants to use that gas guzzler, ride a bicycle in the snow or even walk than ride in “that crazy death trap.” And she tells anyone who will listen exactly how she feels.

I think we could use a thread to address ways to make the passenger experience better.