Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V3 Splitter! Open

On I-20, Bossier City, LA, splits 227.8 miles, 162.4 miles from Terrell, TX, 66.6 miles to Ruston, LA.

16I-20TerrellTXRustonLA227.8Bossier CityLA162.466.6

(Previously I had listed it as split by Tyler, TX, 73.2 miles and 154.9 miles.)

Bossier City LA, creates a new V3 split, with Tyler, TX under construction
36I-20TerrellTXBossier CityLA162.4TylerTX73.289.5

Reactions: vanjwilson
I do have them in my list. Except Long Island. I just can't be bothered with Long Island. I'm always disappointed when a new NY State Superchargers appears and it's on Long Island.
North Fork of Long Island needs some love. The only DCFC on the North Fork is a single stall 50kW with priority for Greenport residents. A Supercharger in the hamlet of Southold or Greenport is sorely needed. At least one can find a Supercharger on the western side of Riverhead. I think most of the "highways" on the North Fork are only 2 lane. It has been a long while since I've been there.

North Fork of Long Island needs some love. The only DCFC on the North Fork is a single stall 50kW with priority for Greenport residents. A Supercharger in the hamlet of Southold or Greenport is sorely needed. At least one can find a Supercharger on the western side of Riverhead. I think most of the "highways" on the North Fork are only 2 lane. It has been a long while since I've been there.
Agree, I’m with you in NY metro and take the ferry at Orient point a lot and would be great to supercharge right before getting on
Hence a SC in Cutchogue makes sense

How is that relevant to this thread?

To be fair, it was in response to my comment about not caring about Long Island Superchargers.

But still, whatever. 31.8 miles from whatever the Supercharger is to the ferry. Oh, woe is they. :p

Long Island is 118 miles long. It has Superchargers. Nothing left to split. :p
Okay thanks. Sorry I missed the quoted post somehow.

My best friend lives in Southold, but yeah I don't see a huge need out there. Western Long Island on the other hand...

we're all in this together....
btw, distance gaps are def important but also gaps you might not consider such has high population areas and gaps
below is one of the highest density population areas in the world and shows only one V2 supercharger, the rest are desigination chargers
insane when you are traveling and have a low SoC, just sayin
1718717519186.png

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
only one V2 supercharger, the rest are desigination chargers
75KW are "Urban Superchargers", NOT "destination chargers". Destination chargers tend to only be 10 to 20 KW.
I don't see any reason one would expect EV charging to be any easier than any other automobile infrastructure (parking, service, gasoline, carwashes, etc) in that high-density area. Mass transit works in those areas.
It has nothing to do with gaps on Interstates either.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
75KW are "Urban Superchargers", NOT "destination chargers". Destination chargers tend to only be 10 to 20 KW.
I don't see any reason one would expect EV charging to be any easier than any other automobile infrastructure (parking, service, gasoline, carwashes, etc) in that high-density area. Mass transit works in those areas.
It has nothing to do with gaps on Interstates either.
misused the term destination charger, thanks for that clarification, meant to say very low end L3, not a fan as it will take a long fan when moving through the area and need quick charging, 250 kw vs 72
as for matching infrastructure, that area has, as you would expect, a lot of gas stations, parking, etc
this area is in need of at least 4x 250kw SCs whereas only 1x 150kw exists

it was just an example of large gaps in the USA with low population vs small gaps in the USA with high population areas
can feel the same when moving around in an EV

misused the term destination charger, thanks for that clarification, meant to say very low end L3, not a fan as it will take a long fan when moving through the area and need quick charging, 250 kw vs 72
as for matching infrastructure, that area has, as you would expect, a lot of gas stations, parking, etc

it was just an example of large gaps in the USA with low population vs small gaps in the USA with high population areas
In general, I recommend that, when going to NYC or Jersey City, you charge enough in NJ, CT, Westchester, or Long Island to get you in and back out. It really isn't that far. If you live in NYC or Jersey City, having an EV will be just as much of a problem as having an ICE car - many don't bother.
There are also other 150 to 250KW Superchargers near EWR, not too far outside the area you showed.

Reactions: Fet297

It's an example of a super-dense city where getting the new infrastructure in is has been difficult.
Urban SCs were a failed experiment that has had knock-on negative effects.

Reactions: PLUS EV
im a consultant, bounce around the entire metro area, sometimes 3x visit in a day
respect the mass transit advice, but for someone traveling between the three states, driving is the only way
YMMV
Yep, you're one of those legitimate edge cases that can be challenging for EVs. I would think, however, that a long range Tesla should be workable without too much effort, most of the time. New Brunswick to Norwalk, to Hempstead and back to New Brunswick is only 207 miles, a route that passes by nearly 20 million people and their businesses. That route also passes near several 250 KW Superchargers.

Yep, you're one of those legitimate edge cases that can be challenging for EVs. I would think, however, that a long range Tesla should be workable without too much effort, most of the time. New Brunswick to Norwalk, to Hempstead and back to New Brunswick is only 207 miles, a route that passes by nearly 20 million people and their businesses. That route also passes near several 250 KW Superchargers.
Agree
Thanks guys for listening to the other gaps that can exist
Back to the main thread, for when I drive cross country and hit those gaps