Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest 16.3 software is great....most of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is inconsistent in how it reacts on the same stretch. One time when driving with auto pilot I let the wander to the right. The car jerked the car back into the lane. Good work but maybe a little abrupt but hey it worked. The second time, it beeped and ordered me to put my hands on the wheel. The third time it just let me wander off the road. One time after telling me to put my hands on the road I let it wander again and it did not react when it crossed the line, the next time it jerked the wheel back to stay in the lane. Straight road dry, good markings, between 2 and 3 p.m. I still really appreciate it when it works but one can not rely on it to work. Oh, model 3 long range dual motor

• Helpful
Reactions: BulletToothWoo
There are a couple of different features active for those scenarios.

1) If it thinks you are actually in control (hands still detected on the wheel?) it won't do anything. I was able to steer over lane lines deliberately and the car did nothing.

2) If it thinks you are not controlling the wheel and you drift over a line but you are not in danger of hitting anything it will just steer you back into your lane. This is the LDA feature. I was able to trigger this by taking my hands off the wheel and letting it drift over the center line, with no traffic.

3) If it thinks you are not controlling the wheel and you drift over a line and it thinks you will hit something nearby, like a curb, it will steer you back into your lane and give you three buzzes. This is the ELDA feature. I was able to trigger this by taking my hands off the wheel and drifting over the lane line to the right, next to the curb.

That's probably why you noticed the different behaviors. Some reports on TMC have claimed tall grass is enough to trigger ELDA instead of just LDA, so ELDA may trigger more than expected. And who knows how it determines a deliberate steering action versus an unintentional drift. And some people just have strange lines on the road that freak it out.