Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaking water after opening FWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They told me they replaced the seals...

Check to see if the replaced seals are holding up. They replaced mine and the seals are already coming off, did not "settle" as they said they would. Water pouring into the car is not acceptable regardless of how cool or practical FWDs are when buckling kids! If it cannot be fixed then should ask for buy back.

Water pouring into the car is not acceptable regardless of how cool or practical FWDs are when buckling kids! If it cannot be fixed then should ask for buy back.

I suppose it depends how bad the problem really is. In mine I might get the odd dribble of water on opening in the wet, but I stay a lot drier than usual when standing under the FWDs when buckling in the kids in the rain. It's one of the neat features of the X.

Obviously worth making sure the seals are fitted properly (I'm going to ask them to check mine at first service) but going for a buy-back seems a bit extreme!

I find that it's the standing water on the roof that is the main issue here. Opening the doors to low makes the water drain off the top slower with less potential for flooding. Works for me anyway and it is referenced in the user manual - that's where I got the idea to try it.
Tried that - same result. If you look at the video, that was around one minute after I opened the door - water slowly accumulated after dripping and spilled. It also happened immediately after the door opened to low as well.

Last edited:
I' had my FWD door seals replaced last month (1 year old car - problem existed for a while before I reported the issue). I've had once day since the repair where there was standing water upon return to the car, and the new seals did fine (no water vs. a lot flowing into the back seats when opening FWD). I've heard that the FWD door seal replacement is challenging to do, and even more so to do correctly. They had mine scheduled in the shop a full day to repair, and near the end of the day they they called saying one was in, but the other not so much and that they were ordering an additional replacement seal instead (+2 days more to receive and install). In the end, it was worth repairing. I'm hoping this is a one-time fix and not a recurring issue due to seal compression over time.

Update: the SC picked up my MX and fully replaced the seals. There is a sizable gap between the seal and wall. Its raining outside, so I tested the fix and it seems to be working fine!

I wish this was discovered by Tesla before delivery and hopenthst now they know about the problem and can check future deliveries. Thankful that the issue has now been addressed.

Reactions: bayx and Bogobec
This has been a problem on the driver's side FWD since I got my Model X, 1 year ago today. Back in the Spring the Nashville SC had it in for almost two weeks, and said that they'd replaced the seals on both FWD's (not sure why, as the passenger one was fine). They said it was fixed, but they obviously made no effort to test it, as the first time I tried opening the door after it rained, the exact same thing happened. I've now been waiting a couple of months for them to order in more parts in order to fix it properly - they said something about needing to replace the center part of the roof as well....

This has been a problem on the driver's side FWD since I got my Model X, 1 year ago today. Back in the Spring the Nashville SC had it in for almost two weeks, and said that they'd replaced the seals on both FWD's (not sure why, as the passenger one was fine). They said it was fixed, but they obviously made no effort to test it, as the first time I tried opening the door after it rained, the exact same thing happened. I've now been waiting a couple of months for them to order in more parts in order to fix it properly - they said something about needing to replace the center part of the roof as well....

Tell them to call the SC in Bellevue, WA for tips. The issue seems fixed now, so they have it figured out :)

Tried that - same result. If you look at the video, that was around one minute after I opened the door - water slowly accumulated after dripping and spilled. It also happened immediately after the door opened to low as well.

Fair enough, sounds like a different issue to mine, which only leak if the water channels are over-loaded by sudden full opening with a lot of water sat on top. Opening the tailgate at the same time makes flooding potential even worse, so I avoid doing that as recommended in the user manual. Maybe my seals are actually okay, but I haven't paid much attention to them.

I had this issue. As already said the weatherstripping gets pinched and creates a choke point that water dams up and eventually overflows into the car. I had asked the SC if there was anything to stint it open. Instead they said best to remove the entire seal and replace it. The technician at my SC just said it was installed a hair off but that's apparently the difference between it working correctly or not. Working correctly captures all water run off and routes it around the door and out the bottom. I've attached the work order I received on this item.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 9.45.38 AM.png