Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water in trunk. Like inside the metal trunk body panel...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 RWD.
Commuter that is stored outside.
Zero water in trunk storage area after it rains.
Pop the trunk, then water pours, not leaks, pours into the trunk from the passenger side.

Took it to Tesla service. They thought it was leaky hinge bolt holes. So they added sealant. Problem remained unchanged.

I did my own investigation, this is where it gets really strange. Water is somehow building up INSIDE the trunk body panel. When I open the trunk, that water then runs down the rubber wire conduit tube, and pours into the trunk. Explained this all to Tesla with pictures and video.

Took it back, they added even more sealant to the same bolt holes. Problem remains.

I am very handy, so just thinking of just fixing this myself. Thoughts?

2023 RWD.
Commuter that is stored outside.
Zero water in trunk storage area after it rains.
Pop the trunk, then water pours, not leaks, pours into the trunk from the passenger side.

Took it to Tesla service. They thought it was leaky hinge bolt holes. So they added sealant. Problem remained unchanged.

I did my own investigation, this is where it gets really strange. Water is somehow building up INSIDE the trunk body panel. When I open the trunk, that water then runs down the rubber wire conduit tube, and pours into the trunk. Explained this all to Tesla with pictures and video.

Took it back, they added even more sealant to the same bolt holes. Problem remains.

I am very handy, so just thinking of just fixing this myself. Thoughts?
So, it's collecting somewhere in the hatch, itself, and when you swing it open, the water comes running back out and into your trunk. Me, I always try to fix stuff myself, first, because it's a 3hr drive to a Service Center. Oftentimes, the owner knows better than the SC which only has a short period of time to figure things out, which seems to be your case. You know the problem, the SC doesn't.

My Model 3 2022 has a leak in the trunk AFTER it rains. When opening the trunk, I hear water rushing from the inside of the lid! Then I see water dripping near the light in the trunk on passenger side. I have taken it to Tesla twice and now its there for a third time. Anyone experience this?

Here is a video I took
New video by frank tobias

20231121_182001.jpg

My Model 3 2022 has a leak in the trunk AFTER it rains. When opening the trunk, I hear water rushing from the inside of the lid! Then I see water dripping near the light in the trunk on passenger side. I have taken it to Tesla twice and now its there for a third time. Anyone experience this?

Here is a video I took
New video by frank tobias

View attachment 996935
My 2022 has the exact same issue.
Started about 4 months ago

Had Tesla look at my ‘23 for this issue [water sloshing inside the trunk lid and coming out under the trunk-to-body harness]. Don’t agree with their assessment, but they did refer me to a couple body shops [under warranty]. Hope a body shop can diagnose the issue.

Adding my service report for the same issue.
Would getting the extended service package for 1800 (in USA), make issues like this nonevents from both a warranty and service standpoint, not to mention a cost standpoint down the road if it was undiscovered?

I'm thinking it would come down to Tesla's shop rate, whether things like this and the pork chop issue would be a consideration. I guess a part of consideration would be whether Tesla service center technician discretion would consider this water leakage, the tail light water ingress, and the pork chop suspension wear to be wear and tear or warranty issues.

This happened to me, I found 4 spots where the layers of metal meet each other that weren’t welded close, I siliconed them, it’s was at the 4 corners for me

Close to my tail lights and at the very point on either side where the trunk lid meets the read window

Sealed it with 10 year outdoor silicone

Reactions: bluestreak55