Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leasing/customization question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I am leasing right now, I know the modifications I make can only be minimal. I would like to do some tinting and maybe ppf, but not sure how that would affect the lease. Any thoughts?

If you are asking "what is the worse that can happen?" its that tesla could require you to remove the tint and PPF on lease turn in, or charge you for doing it. I can understand window tint (because it can make the vehicle cooler inside as well as provide a different look), but I can not for the life of me understand why ANYONE would consider PPF on a leased vehicle.

As I said in another thread, any money spent on PPF is money gone NOW. Any and all "well I want to prevent lease end charges for X or Y with PPF" is, effectively "I MIGHT prevent a charge later, by with this money I definitely am spending NOW". If you dont like the look of rock chips, by a touch up paint kit or something.

There is no situation in which PPF benefits on a lease, especially since you cant even say "I will be buying the car at lease end so want to protect it now" with a model 3 or Y. If a person cares that much about the vehicle, they likely should buy it.

If you are asking "what is the worse that can happen?" its that tesla could require you to remove the tint and PPF on lease turn in, or charge you for doing it. I can understand window tint (because it can make the vehicle cooler inside as well as provide a different look), but I can not for the life of me understand why ANYONE would consider PPF on a leased vehicle.

As I said in another thread, any money spent on PPF is money gone NOW. Any and all "well I want to prevent lease end charges for X or Y with PPF" is, effectively "I MIGHT prevent a charge later, by with this money I definitely am spending NOW". If you dont like the look of rock chips, by a touch up paint kit or something.

There is no situation in which PPF benefits on a lease, especially since you cant even say "I will be buying the car at lease end so want to protect it now" with a model 3 or Y. If a person cares that much about the vehicle, they likely should buy it.
Totally disagree. Look at what happened to my car with less than 100 miles. Do you think Tesla would let this slide??

Although I would not advocate a full PPF wrap on a lease, PPF on the front and lower sides is totally reasonable. Very small investment for the protection It provides. And it’s not just about ”lease end charges”..... It’s about keeping the car looking great.
DE0F8083-F70C-459E-B438-3F427AF2E6E6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BodegaBay

Got it. Thank you for the reply!

Totally disagree. Look at what happened to my car with less than 100 miles. Do you think Tesla would let this slide??

Although I would not advocate a full PPF wrap on a lease, PPF on the front and lower sides is totally reasonable. Very small investment for the protection It provides. And it’s not just about ”lease end charges”..... It’s about keeping the car looking great.View attachment 672437

Most likely, yes. Normal wear and tear is not charged.

Even if it is charged, it wouldnt be whatever you paid for PPF, which is money gone NOW because tesla MIGHT charge you later. on a purchase I get it. Some people want to protect the car because they plan on having it "forever". On a lease, which you are giving back in whatever the lease term is, even if they charge you for that, its "might" charge you, while money spent on PPF (for someone elses paint) is money that is definitely gone, not "might" be gone.

I am not saying to treat a lease like crap, but spending a bunch of money to "protect" it is strange to me, since you cant currently keep it.

Reactions: HillClimb
Most likely, yes. Normal wear and tear is not charged.

Even if it is charged, it wouldnt be whatever you paid for PPF, which is money gone NOW because tesla MIGHT charge you later. on a purchase I get it. Some people want to protect the car because they plan on having it "forever". On a lease, which you are giving back in whatever the lease term is, even if they charge you for that, its "might" charge you, while money spent on PPF (for someone elses paint) is money that is definitely gone, not "might" be gone.

I am not saying to treat a lease like crap, but spending a bunch of money to "protect" it is strange to me, since you cant currently keep it.

I would rather spend $1500 on PPF to keep the car looking great than $75 for touch up painting. Regardless if I am turning in the car in 3 years or keeping the car for 10 years. Personally, if I’m driving a $65k car then I want it looking great.... Regardless of how long I am keeping it. Not peppered with touch up paint. Especially for such a small investment.

To each his own....

P.S. “most likely” they wouldn’t charge me for the 1 spot. But I got that spot within 100 miles. How many more spots would I have over the next 44,900 miles? I stand by my statement... $1500 for PPF is well worth the investment. And your car will look 1000x better than touch up tainting

Last edited:
Let me get back to the OP here. OP here is the lease end guide for tesla thats available online. Specifically, here is the wear and tear guidelines:

Hopefully that helps answer your question, from teslas perspective.

i have leased all my vehicles and then refinance them at the end if im keeping them(im aware tesla for now doesnt offer anything for model y or 3 for refinance)

and basically u can do w.e u want for the most part as long as its turned in as it was given to you with normal wear and tear, i have changed wheels on my leased vehicles had wrap done(they actually like this btw because it protects the paint) just save the oem stuff and put it back if u gonna turn it back in but if you're keeping it then dw about it(can't right now with model y or 3)

Tint they don't care either
as long as the vehicle looks good at turn in and you didnt go over the miles of the lease i've never had a problem with any of my leases (bmw, Honda, Mazda)

Most recently i had an 18 accord leased and it was tinted had wraps different wheeels( i left the factory ones in my garage to swap back out in turn in) all on a lease, none of that *sugar* "mattered" at turn in put the factory wheels back, wrap was actually still on they just said thats awesome we know the paint is great under they did their inspection and off i went

Talked to my SA about this and he told me tesla follows the same process as any other brand when it comes to leases for the most part its in the lease agreement it was the same verbiage as any other lease i've done

I would rather spend $1500 on PPF to keep the car looking great than $75 for touch up painting. Regardless if I am turning in the car in 3 years or keeping the car for 10 years. Personally, if I’m driving a $65k car then I want it looking great.... Regardless of how long I am keeping it. Not peppered with touch up paint. Especially for such a small investment.

To each his own....

P.S. “most likely” they wouldn’t charge me for the 1 spot. But I got that spot within 100 miles. How many more spots would I have over the next 44,900 miles? I stand by my statement... $1500 for PPF is well worth the investment. And your car will look 1000x better than touch up tainting
The things that will get you on a lease return are damaged tires and gashes. Things like rock chips are fine. Even with notoriously touchy companies like Audi and BMW I've had those kind of things slide no problem

Reactions: birchsport
I agree with all the above comments. All leases follow a standard guide for tire depth chips and dents. I believe paint issues are allowed the size of a nickel and dents the size of a quarter or 50 cent coin. I would never PPF a leased car.

only things I have ever paid for in the past on turn in are tires (1) MB another a set, BMW even let me leave the new tires un mounted in the trunk of the car and miles.

lease return guide