Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaves in the front radiator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the talk about the heat pumps and front grill freezing open had me curious and to go look at my front grill.

It looked fine but I did notice that there is some leaves stuck there and i tried to blow them out but they wouldn't budge. Is it even worth the effort to clean it out? My fan doesn't make any weird noises and my car supercharges and preconditions just fine.

IMG_0937.jpeg

Probably not enough leaves back there do any real harm. However, personally, I would want to remove them just because I’m OCD.
Once you do get them out, you may want to consider getting/installing something like what I’ve shown below. This particular one is from RPM Tesla, but I’m sure you can find/purchase an identical one from other retailers. I don’t have a need for something like this, but I can see it being useful for some folks. Good luck!!

2D2DA5D6-5C67-4D55-9D0C-04A20F9ADC1D.jpeg

F9FBF015-F00F-43DA-A13B-2CCD334C97E2.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jrmt23 and KenC
Probably not enough leaves back there do any real harm. However, personally, I would want to remove them just because I’m OCD.
Once you do get them out, you may want to consider getting/installing something like what I’ve shown below. This particular one is from RPM Tesla, but I’m sure you can find/purchase an identical one from other retailers. I don’t have a need for something like this, but I can see it being useful for some folks. Good luck!!

View attachment 759316

View attachment 759317
Didnt know these things existed!

Yeah i didn't think it would be enough to cause any issues but I figured I'd ask around anyways

It can definitely cause a problem I just learned. I’ve been having issues where my AC system would sometimes decide to do what I can only describe as forcing a reduction in performance. I took it into Tesla and they changed the cabin temperature sensor but it returned a few days later so I started investigating it on my own. It turns out a teeny tiny road pebble or bit of asphalt was stuck between the radiator and AC condenser near the top edge of the radiator and then over time all matter of leaf bits, hair, dust, hay etc had built up behind it. I think the computer is smart enough to reduce the AC performance if the condenser is overheating which was happening even in mild conditions (~90F) but there is no indication about what it’s doing other than the cabin fan slowing and the manual cabin fan controls being locked out.

It can definitely cause a problem I just learned. I’ve been having issues where my AC system would sometimes decide to do what I can only describe as forcing a reduction in performance. I took it into Tesla and they changed the cabin temperature sensor but it returned a few days later so I started investigating it on my own. It turns out a teeny tiny road pebble or bit of asphalt was stuck between the radiator and AC condenser near the top edge of the radiator and then over time all matter of leaf bits, hair, dust, hay etc had built up behind it. I think the computer is smart enough to reduce the AC performance if the condenser is overheating which was happening even in mild conditions (~90F) but there is no indication about what it’s doing other than the cabin fan slowing and the manual cabin fan controls being locked out.
Oh BTW this is a mid 2019 Model 3 if anyone develops a similar issue. Tesla I imagine might have changed the design or spacing between the radiator and condenser.

Reactions: jrmt23