Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving for 2 Weeks, Should I leave my charger in even with regular thunderstorms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AM053

Jul 26, 2022
Hi, is it ok that I leave my charger in my Tesla while I'm away for 2 weeks? I know it's recommended that we leave in the charger when possible, but the reason I ask is because there are frequent thunderstorms that occur once a week and I won't be able to unplug when they occur. Any information is helpful, thanks!

the technical rational i do not recall .. it has been a while since i read thru any of the charging threads i just recall after spending way too much time the "keep it above 20% and below 90%" seemed best supported and practical
sorry perhaps someone can chime in has the thread(s) or answer readily avail
I have not seen any rationale relating to battery longevity behind "minimum 20%".

There is a rationale, but it has more to do with the driver, in that very low state of charge is likely to induce range anxiety in many drivers, increase the risk of running out (getting down to 0%) while driving, or risk the car falling below 0% while parked due to vampire drain.

Upvote 0
Why 50 % ? What’s the reason behind leaving it at a lower rate ?
Lithium ion batteries degrade more rapidly if stored at high states of charge. If plugged in for long term parking or storage, it is generally best to leave the charge target at 50% (or no more than 55% for NCA batteries or 70% for LFP batteries, based on lab testing of battery degradation) rather than a higher level like 90%. (50% is the lowest charge target allowed in the Tesla UI.)

Reactions: DrChaos
Upvote 0
Hi, is it ok that I leave my charger in my Tesla while I'm away for 2 weeks? I know it's recommended that we leave in the charger when possible, but the reason I ask is because there are frequent thunderstorms that occur once a week and I won't be able to unplug when they occur. Any information is helpful, thanks!

Totally fine.

Would be perfectly fine to leave it unplugged as well. In fact that's what I usually do when I'm gone for weeks. As long as Sentry and Cabin Overhead are turned off, battery drain will be minimal.

If you do leave it plugged in though, what I'd do is leave the charging % to about 50%. That way the car stays plugged in but won't keep "topping off" while you're gone. No need to!

Reactions: 804son
Upvote 0
Overall Longterm Battery health. As already stated leaving the battery at very high or very low state of charge is not optimal for these batteries.

Actually... there is some rationale to leaving the battery at 90% for an extended period of time (Weeks).

There are bleed resistors that only open at states of charge > 85% and will bleed down individual bricks in the battery to balance the entire pack. This process is very very slow and very very minor, but it is a rationale.

Me, I usually leave it at 90% and forget about it. The only time I changed was when I was away for 3 weeks recently -- set the car to 50% and left with a 90% charge on. That way it wouldn't keep topping off -- I was more annoyed with the alerts from my Sense device ("Electric Car just turned ON!") than anything. :)

(And I came home to 83% after those 3 weeks ... nothing much to complain about.)

(Edited to add relevant data on the brick balancing - if I'm working with old data or something that isn't actually effective, I'd love to hear from one of our battery experts here ...)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 2.49.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 2.49.28 PM.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually... there is some rationale to leaving the battery at 90% for an extended period of time (Weeks).

There are bleed resistors that only open at states of charge > 85% and will bleed down individual bricks in the battery to balance the entire pack. This process is very very slow and very very minor, but it is a rationale.

Me, I usually leave it at 90% and forget about it. The only time I changed was when I was away for 3 weeks recently -- set the car to 50% and left with a 90% charge on. That way it wouldn't keep topping off -- I was more annoyed with the alerts from my Sense device ("Electric Car just turned ON!") than anything. :)

(And I came home to 83% after those 3 weeks ... nothing much to complain about.)

(Edited to add relevant data on the brick balancing - if I'm working with old data or something that isn't actually effective, I'd love to hear from one of our battery experts here ...)
I'm glad you're doing that with your car. 😶

Upvote 0
Up to you. 2 weeks wont matter at any soc. You might lose a few % at most. Vampire drain has become so low i doubt youll loose more than 2 to 3%.

Upvote 0
When we were gone for a week I kept it plugged in and charged at 90%. I have a 3rd party charger that has it's own built in GFCI, plus a whole house surge suppressor as well.
I also have a whole house surge suppressor. Was told by my electrician that a hit from lightening will go right through this suppressor and fry the house. Too much energy for the suppressor to deal with.

For the record I leave my Tesla plugged in when I'm not at home, even during periods of summer lightning storms.

Rich

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Upvote 0
As others have tried to tell you, this anecdote is only half true. There’s nothing at all “not optimal” about letting a lithium battery sit indefinitely at low states of charge.

most manufacturers recommend storing the batteries at low SOC at low temp. Some recommend freezing them completely discharged, other recommend completely discharging them at low temps i.e. 10C.

Upvote 0
Set the charge limit to 50-70% or so and let it sit there.

Read the manual>

"Your Tesla vehicle is designed to maintain its battery over time, and will not overcharge when plugged in for an extended period. For that reason, when you’re away from home, we always recommend leaving your vehicle plugged in."

Reactions: OldPro
Upvote 0