Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left vs Right Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rims on my M3P are not left and rights. Rims are usually like fan blades and either pull or push air from or to the disks. The Tesla rims are the same left and right so one side pushes and the other pulls.
I saw an old tread on the model X mentioning this ; is this just the way it is for M3 too?

The rims on my M3P are not left and rights. Rims are usually like fan blades and either pull or push air from or to the disks. The Tesla rims are the same left and right so one side pushes and the other pulls.
I saw an old tread on the model X mentioning this ; is this just the way it is for M3 too?
It is called asymmetrical vs symmetrical.

Asymmetrical are more common since you make all 4 wheels the same and the passage side is in the "wrong" direction. Symmetrical are more expensive since it requires the 2 different wheels be made for the car. Most people never notice this or have no idea. If you look at cars on the road you will see most are asymmetrical. I dislike also and a pet peeve of mine. Also I have the 19" sport wheels and they are the same. The design is more subtle than my ELR's but still don't like it.

Here is a more extreme example of a car I owned, a Cadillac ELR. Notice that the driver's side are correct direction and the passengers side are facing the wrong direction. Below it is a preproduction concept car that the passenger side are symmetrical and correct.
IMG_3824.jpeg
IMG_3832.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 7.42.35 AM.png

IMG_1451.jpeg
IMG_1452.jpeg

Last edited: