Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Induction rims direction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve always noticed with cars that have turbine style rims or hub caps that the direction of the “fan blades” are always asymmetrical. Meaning that the rims on the driver side are identical to the passenger side. This create an asymmetrical looking direction. Is this intentional or was the manufacturer just lazy and molded all 4 rims the same?

This is what is happening with my Y. The driver’s side would appear to push air to the left while the right side would ALSO push air to the left.

Silly, but it kind of bothers me.

Attachments

• 8BD13B84-A476-47B6-91D0-E06D6AE9C7FD.jpeg
    8BD13B84-A476-47B6-91D0-E06D6AE9C7FD.jpeg
    635.2 KB · Views: 228
  • F3D3807C-DCF4-4ABC-A14D-8E7DE2193064.jpeg
    F3D3807C-DCF4-4ABC-A14D-8E7DE2193064.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 105
they are all 4 the same. I have thought about this too but the cost for them to have 4 different wheels on every vehicle is very high cost.

True. But it would just be two different pairs of wheels.

I always thought the "blade end" of the turbines should be forward facing when rotating forward. The way it spins now, air would go in from the passenger side through to the driver's side in a flow through (except the car's bulkhead is blocking). If the wheels were how I envision it, both tires would be sucking air from the middle and undercarriage and shooting them out the driver and passenger sides, perhaps cooling the brakes more effectively?

Geez, I'm really overthinking this...

Reactions: Zalick