Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Level 3" Charging in BC

Are you good with Level 3 being used to describe DCFC?

• No - Level 3 is not a standard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like BC Hydro has documented DCFC as "Level 3". Are you good with that? You may be familiar with the lack of clarity over levels, and the fact that at least in the standards the intention was to have L1 AC, L2 AC, L1 DC, and L2 DC. But, here we are. What are your thoughts?

BCHydro-EV-Fast-Charging-Guidelines.pdf (See Page 8)

Personally, I see this as inevitable now. Despite being "incorrect", the ball is rolling away fast.

I've always understood Level 3 to be DCFC so I guess I'm good with that. What is Level 3 charging supposed to be? I'm not saying I'm right. I've always understood and explained to others that 1 = 120V, 2 = 240V and 3 = DCFC.

I only read the first few pages, my main complaint is that they consider CCS and ChaDemo to be Level 3, but ignore Tesla's Superchargers as DCFC/Level 3. That's my main gripe.

Reactions: Ol'Blue and Vawlkus
I've always understood Level 3 to be DCFC so I guess I'm good with that. What is Level 3 charging supposed to be? I'm not saying I'm right. I've always understood and explained to others that 1 = 120V, 2 = 240V and 3 = DCFC.

I only read the first few pages, my main complaint is that they consider CCS and ChaDemo to be Level 3, but ignore Tesla's Superchargers as DCFC/Level 3. That's my main gripe.

I’m not sure that the document “ignores” Tesla so much as doesn’t recognize Tesla charging stations as being “public”.

Currently, Tesla does not offer its proprietary plug to other station operators other than a handful of EV Go pilot stations in the United States. Tesla drivers must purchase a CHAdeMO adapter to use at non-Tesla fast charging stations. These guidelines will be updated if this changes in the future.

I’m guessing BC Hydro is considering “public” to refer to charging stations that are “generally available to the public”.

Basically Level 3 doesn't exist. Some owners will get very excited by claims it does. According to the standards, there are Levels 1 and 2 for both AC, and separately DC. The BC Hydro 25/50kW chargers would fall into DC Level 1, and the high power networks in the 100s of kW range (superchargers) would actually be DC Level 2. Unfortunately that standard is not public, but it is summarized on wikipedia.

Well there you go, I've been wrong all these years. At least Wikipedia acknowledges that DCFC is "commonly incorrectly called Level 3 Charging" so I'm not alone.

With AC, charging is limited by the onboard converter so it makes sense to me to differentiate between the slow and fast(er) charging. With DC there's no such limitation. There's no excuse for even the *slowest* DC charging to be slower than AC charging so IMO it makes logical sense to refer to it as "Level 3" charging. Most of the public could not care less whether it's AC or DC, just how fast it is. As for the two different levels of DCFC, I think calling them Level 1 & 2 adds confusion again for the public. Simply Level 3 for fast charging and be done with it. That's all the public cares about. Those obsessed with details can figure out from PlugShare or the like whether its a 50 kW or 250 kW charger if it matters to them.

That said, the nomenclature has been set so my little rant here won't do anything to change the SAE or IEC's opinion on the matter.