Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Max Speed Level 2 Charging past 99%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding was that the level 2 (and obviously DC fast charging) AC charging would taper as you got close to 100%. I've been monitoring my Model 3 RWD charging at home and the charging didn't taper at all until it was right before 100%. This is the RWD so max amperage is 32 amps and I had the full 32 amps until 4 minutes before it hit 100%. It basically slowed down at 99.75%? Is that normal or should it have slowed down much earlier?

I'm asking because I've had about 2% degradation in the first 3 months and 3,000 miles of ownership. It's not a big deal but my range is the 14th percantile of similar users according to Teslafi. I wonder if the full level 2 speed charging past 99% is a problem. I haven't used any supercharging and I've typically been level 2 charging about once every 5-7 days, usually to 100%.

The LFP battery pack can hold a faster charge rate at higher states of charge. It sounds like your car is behaving normally.

Some range degradation is also to be expected from a fresh battery. It will level off over time.

My understanding was that the level 2 (and obviously DC fast charging) AC charging would taper as you got close to 100%. I've been monitoring my Model 3 RWD charging at home and the charging didn't taper at all until it was right before 100%. This is the RWD so max amperage is 32 amps and I had the full 32 amps until 4 minutes before it hit 100%. It basically slowed down at 99.75%? Is that normal or should it have slowed down much earlier?

I'm asking because I've had about 2% degradation in the first 3 months and 3,000 miles of ownership. It's not a big deal but my range is the 14th percantile of similar users according to Teslafi. I wonder if the full level 2 speed charging past 99% is a problem. I haven't used any supercharging and I've typically been level 2 charging about once every 5-7 days, usually to 100%.
The taper is a reduction in the allowable charge rate vs SOC (and other factors), not a reduction from the connection's maximum capacity. Cell charge rate is usually specified as a fraction of the pack or cell size (C rate). Depending the version, a 3 RWD may have a 60kWh pack.
The RWD has the lowest power charger of the fleet.
32A*240V=7.68kW (some of which is lost to efficiency and running the vehicle).
So at peak charge rate for the onboard charger, it's still only a C rate of 0.12 or so which is slow. As a result, the pack can handle full charger capacity right up until the end.

This article shows where the charge limits are for a few models.
MIC Tesla Model 3 SR+ Fast Charging Test Reveals Strong Results