Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Charging Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest you try to find someone local who can come by and test out your outlets with their Mobile Connector. If their Mobile Connector works fine then that would indicate the problem is with your car or your Mobile Connector. If they can charge successfully, then try charging your car. If it works, then the problem is your Mobile Connector. If you can't charge, then it would indicate a possible problem with your car. Another option is to ask to charge at another owner's house or to try a destination charger or public charger nearby. Try contacting the local Tesla Owner's group or use Plugshare.com to find nearby destination or public chargers.

I don’t know anyone local. I know the vehicle charges because it chargers at Superchargers and at my home in NJ using a J1772 plug with the Tesla adapter. It has to be the mobile connector since it just feels loose in there. Sags when I plug it in and clicks a lot, flashes amber “T” and then won’t charge. If Tesla would call me back or respond to emails it would be great. Thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate it.

I don’t know anyone local. I know the vehicle charges because it chargers at Superchargers and at my home in NJ using a J1772 plug with the Tesla adapter. It has to be the mobile connector since it just feels loose in there. Sags when I plug it in and clicks a lot, flashes amber “T” and then won’t charge. If Tesla would call me back or respond to emails it would be great. Thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate it.
Just because it can Supercharge (DC) doesn't mean it can charge via AC (and vice versa). Years ago, we had the opposite problem with one of our cars where it could charge at home but not at Superchargers. Since you mentioned J1772 works then it sounds like you've already confirmed AC charging isn't the issue.

When we had our 14-50 outlets installed years ago, we just posted a message online and a Tesla owner nearby replied and drove over to test them for us. I would still suggest you try this by searching asking someone at the Delaware Tesla Club or post in this regional forum.

If you can't find anyone local, then try taking your Mobile Connector to another location where you can plug in. You can find these locations on plugshare.com as well. If charging works at the other location then the problem would be with your outlet(s).

If you aren't close enough to a Tesla location or some Tesla destination charging locations, try giving Tesla Support a call. They might be willing to send you a replacement Mobile Connector.

Well the electrician just completed installing the brand new NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage on a 50A dedicated breaker. He verified its all working as it’s supposed to. We plugged the mobile connector with Tesla 14-50 adapter into it and the vehicle won’t charge. It clicks a bunch of times. The Tesla “T” flashes amber and it appears to start charging and then it stops. I unplug it and start the process again and nothing happens. I am currently in DE for a few weeks. My first service appointment that I set up on delivery day in NJ where I reside is set for 11/3. That was set up to deal with other annoying it less pressing delivery day issues. I am now in DE and have ZERO ability to charge at my current place. I have to use supercharger miles (of which they still owe me 1,000 for picking up on 9/30 or other destination chargers at my cost, I reached out to the Service Center in Wilmington, DE and like every other Tesla Service Center no one picked up the phone. It’s 86 miles away. It would take 1.5 hours to get there. I hope someone calls me back and offers me a solution. If I have to drive 86 miles
(although I would need to juice up at a supercharger in order to get there) I will if it can rectify my issue. Ideally it would be great if they’d overnight me a new Mobile charger which I’m fairly confident would fix my problem and not cause me aggravation and 3 + hours of my time round trip to drive there. This is where Tesla gets on my last nerve. I’m hoping to hear back shortly from someone.

Can I now start shouting at you that the problem is specifically the plug on the Mobile Connector?

Contact Tesla and ask for a replacement to be sent to you. Shouldn't be any reason for you to go to them. The issue is really cut-and-dried.

How to contact them is a bit tricky at times, so I suggest both:
1) Setup a service appointment and correctly describe the problem in the comments.
2) On the website, after logging into your account, setup a chat through support.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can I now start shouting at you that the problem is specifically the plug on the Mobile Connector?

Contact Tesla and ask for a replacement to be sent to you. Shouldn't be any reason for you to go to them. The issue is really cut-and-dried.

How to contact them is a bit tricky at times, so I suggest both:
1) Setup a service appointment and correctly describe the problem in the comments.
2) On the website, after logging into your account, setup a chat through support.

I finally got someone to respond. But Why would you be shouting at me? I’ve been assuming it’s the mobile connector all along. LOL. They are sending a Mobile service tech to my house on Thursday. I told them he needs to have a new replacement mobile connector because I’m pretty confident that’s what the issue is. The service advisor said there is a known issue with recent mobile connectors shipping with Model Y’s and that she wouldn’t be surprised if that was my issue. “Duh”! I hope he brings a new mobile connector and my problem goes away. I don’t usually have the best luck but it seems pretty cut and dried. I agree. Thanks.

Well the electrician just completed installing the brand new NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage on a 50A dedicated breaker. He verified its all working as it’s supposed to. We plugged the mobile connector with Tesla 14-50 adapter into it and the vehicle won’t charge. It clicks a bunch of times. The Tesla “T” flashes amber and it appears to start charging and then it stops. I unplug it and start the process again and nothing happens. I am currently in DE for a few weeks. My first service appointment that I set up on delivery day in NJ where I reside is set for 11/3. That was set up to deal with other annoying it less pressing delivery day issues. I am now in DE and have ZERO ability to charge at my current place. I have to use supercharger miles (of which they still owe me 1,000 for picking up on 9/30 or other destination chargers at my cost, I reached out to the Service Center in Wilmington, DE and like every other Tesla Service Center no one picked up the phone. It’s 86 miles away. It would take 1.5 hours to get there. I hope someone calls me back and offers me a solution. If I have to drive 86 miles
(although I would need to juice up at a supercharger in order to get there) I will if it can rectify my issue. Ideally it would be great if they’d overnight me a new Mobile charger which I’m fairly confident would fix my problem and not cause me aggravation and 3 + hours of my time round trip to drive there. This is where Tesla gets on my last nerve. I’m hoping to hear back shortly from someone.

I haven't been on the forum in a few days and just saw this. I had the exact same problem on day 1 at home. Turned out to be a faulty mobile charger that didn't seat into the port. I took a chance and just drove into the service center since I didn't have any other home charging option. They diagnosed one of the pins was slightly misaligned which is why it was clicking. They were really great, topped me off and gave me a new charger.

Really glad there is a service center in state now (one of my early deal breakers for not buying a Tesla). If I had to drive to Devon or Cherry Hill for an issue like this, it would have been a half day event at the minimum!

Good luck...

I haven't been on the forum in a few days and just saw this. I had the exact same problem on day 1 at home. Turned out to be a faulty mobile charger that didn't seat into the port. I took a chance and just drove into the service center since I didn't have any other home charging option. They diagnosed one of the pins was slightly misaligned which is why it was clicking. They were really great, topped me off and gave me a new charger.

Really glad there is a service center in state now (one of my early deal breakers for not buying a Tesla). If I had to drive to Devon or Cherry Hill for an issue like this, it would have been a half day event at the minimum!

Good luck...

unfortunately, being in southern Delaware for the next 3 weeks, the closest is Wilmington which is 1.5 hours drive each direction. I’m glad they are sending a mobile tech to the house. I hope he brings a new mobile connector and that fixes my issue. Until then I have to rely on the Supercharger in Lewes to charge or not drive a lot. Are you in. Northern DE? Thanks for replying though.

unfortunately, being in southern Delaware for the next 3 weeks, the closest is Wilmington which is 1.5 hours drive each direction. I’m glad they are sending a mobile tech to the house. I hope he brings a new mobile connector and that fixes my issue. Until then I have to rely on the Supercharger in Lewes to charge or not drive a lot. Are you in. Northern DE? Thanks for replying though.

Yes, I'm in northern DE and fortunately convenient to the service center. Hopefully the mobile tech will bring a spare, especially since one of the previous posts indicate an issue with the mobile chargers being delivered with the MY.

Reactions: NJEV-Don