Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited replacement tire options for the 19s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked at Tire Rack to see what tire options there are for the 19s when it's time to replace. I REALLY like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS I've got on my 335d. Turns out there are very few tire options in the 235/40-19 size, including no Conti Extreme. Is this an odd size? Should I get the 18s so I have more tire options? I don't like the dark wheels with the MSM paint I selected.

Wouldn't a 245 need a wider rim? Flared fender? Pardon my tire ignorance. Ive only ever replaced tires with the exact size I was taking off.

Short answer - No, you will be fine. I think there are some people already running 265's.

I had Continental ExtremeContact DW on my Audi but they started to scallop on the edges and had a TON of road noise. They were super grippy though. Do your DWS on the 335d have similar issues? Before I purchase tires that a more performance oriented I want to see some real world data regarding range loss to see if it would be worth it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Short answer - No, you will be fine. I think there are some people already running 265's.

I had Continental ExtremeContact DW on my Audi but they started to scallop on the edges and had a TON of road noise. They were super grippy though. Do your DWS on the 335d have similar issues? Before I purchase tires that a more performance oriented I want to see some real world data regarding range loss to see if it would be worth it for me.
Yes, some scalloping and road noise, but not terrible. I like the grip, and I live in NC, and keep the same tires on all year. They have amazing snow/sleet performance. The Ultra High Performance All Weather is a good category tire for my needs.

I'd be curious to see and hear about what others are putting on their 19s.

You could put 245/40R19 tires on it. They're only 0.3" more in diameter.

I had a 2013 VW Passat TDI that came stock with 235/45/18's and I made the change to 245/45/18's, best thing I did as tires had a higher load range so car just handled better, less sidewall rolling in corners and gained .2" sidewall height so it was just a tad more comfortable as well, did not notice a hit in mpg.

When my OEM tires wear out (already at 6,200 miles in 2 months) I will be replacing with pilot 4S in 245/40/19

If treadwear maximization is your thing, i.e. maximum miles per set of tires, then consider either the existing Tesla OEM 19” Michelin Primacy MXM4 or even the Pirelli Cinturato.

That said, I keep hearing good things about Continentals and may well try a set if there’s no appreciable benefit from the Pirellis over the Michelins - both in terms of longevity and particularly in terms of noisiness during the last third of their lives.

So with any tire size change, you will get some total diameter change. How much depending on the final configuration, of course.

Is the difference in actual to measured MPH significant enough to pay attention to? In an EV in particular, how does the different total tire diameter affect power/mileage/efficiency calculations?

I also read there could be effects on ABS and Traction control behavior with different sized tires. Is this relevant for the small change in diameter we are talking about here, or is it only an issue with big changes?

One final question. With the 3 stock configurations offered from Tesla, the total tire diameter cannot be exactly the same. Do the 3 individual configurations have associated programming in the car for calculations, or do they just accept the small error and program them all the same?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
So with any tire size change, you will get some total diameter change. How much depending on the final configuration, of course.

Is the difference in actual to measured MPH significant enough to pay attention to? In an EV in particular, how does the different total tire diameter affect power/mileage/efficiency calculations?

I also read there could be effects on ABS and Traction control behavior with different sized tires. Is this relevant for the small change in diameter we are talking about here, or is it only an issue with big changes?

One final question. With the 3 stock configurations offered from Tesla, the total tire diameter cannot be exactly the same. Do the 3 individual configurations have associated programming in the car for calculations, or do they just accept the small error and program them all the same?
The 0.15" radius change going from 235 to 245 is less than the tread depth of the tires. I wouldn't worry about it.

Would I have any trouble going to the 245/40/19 size running my current BLOXsport spacers? I'm running 15mm front and 20mm rear and the stance is pretty flush as it sits. Thanks!

Front with 15mm spacer.jpg

Would I have any trouble going to the 245/40/19 size running my current BLOXsport spacers? I'm running 15mm front and 20mm rear and the stance is pretty flush as it sits. Thanks!

View attachment 436135
This is a good question. I am planning on adding the spacers along with Eibach springs to lower the car about 1.2 inches and would be interested if the 245's would cause any issues. thanks

View attachment 436135
Did you ever change to the 245/40/19s? If so, can you get some pics? I too have the same spacers, and when my stock 19s wear out, am considering the 245s. Curious how they look with the spacers. Any help/info/pics would be great!