Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook ION EVO AS SUV - Model Y Tire Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First 500 Miles – 245wh/mi
+ 825 mile Road Trip – 288wh/mi
Vehicle Lifetime - 258wh/mi (stock tires 34K miles)

TLDR: Good tires, more comfort, less performance

Efficiency
This is a hard category to compare, especially with so few miles. With that said, I averaged 245 wh/mi over the first 500 miles. The closest comparison I have is to the previous 250 miles I did before replacing the tires. On worn Conti’s, I averaged 232 wh/mi. I’d consider the efficiency delta statistically insignificant.

Upon completing the first 500 miles, we were off on our first road trip from Charlotte to Washington DC. In total, this trip was 800 miles and returned an average of 288wh/mi. The weather was rainy leaving Charlotte with temps in the 50s. Per Windy, a prevailing headwind of 3mph was present. On the trip back, we had dry conditions and temps in the low/mid 60s. Winds were ~10mph and were tail/cross much of the day. I don’t have average speeds for the trip but AP was generally set 10-15mph over the speed limit. Much of the drive was between 55-85mph with significant stretches above 80mph. I’ve done this trip several times and I’m happy to report that results are within my previous range. Depending on weather/temp, this trip has previously resulted in 275-315wh/mi.

The big take away here is that they’re not drastically different. With the weather cooling down shortly after installing the new tires, I’m not surprised the efficiency took a small hit.

Noise
Given the marketing, I was hopeful they’d be a bit quieter. They’re not any louder than the stock Conti’s but unfortunately, not an area of noticeable improvement.

Ride Comfort
The new tires improve upon the harsh ride quality of the Model Y. With that said, the improvement is minimal. Anecdotally, I’d say it’s a 5-10% improvement. Without changing the Model Y suspension, you’ll never get rid of the harsh ride but these tires provide a bit more cushion. If you’re paying attention, you can feel them compress and rebound over bumps where the stock tires were extremely stiff and had little give. Again, not a drastic improvement but noticeable over certain bumps.

Handling
Steering/Dry Handling – These are not performance tires. If you have a performance oriented Tesla, you probably want to look elsewhere. These are “Touring” all season tires. Compared to the stock tires, steering feel is direct and turn in is communicative. With that said, the side walls are softer and you feel that when diving into corners. This is a noticeable difference. The trade off here is improved ride comfort.

Wet – Driving through moderate rain provided a significant boost in confidence. Highway speeds in a steady moderate rain was excellent. The stock tires were unsettling, with a sensation of floating when changing lanes at speed. These new tires provide a solid, planted feel that inspire confidence. Frankly, this is what a car should feel like in the rain. As evident by all the hydroplaning videos online, the stock tires are under performers in this department.

Snow – No experience yet but I’d echo my rain comments above. The stock tires were bad in winter weather conditions. Looking forward to getting these into the mountains this winter.

Price
Roughly the same price as the stock Conti’s.

I’m happy with the switch but you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons of each. Hopefully this helps provide a bit more real world information about the tires.

Thanks for the insight on the road noise? This was certainly a highly touted feature of this tire series, but it looks like competitors in the space are also optimizing for this already. Curious about your observation on ride comfort - what is the build date for your Model Y?

Reactions: GOVA
Thanks for the insight on the road noise? This was certainly a highly touted feature of this tire series, but it looks like competitors in the space are also optimizing for this already. Curious about your observation on ride comfort - what is the build date for your Model Y?

Build is Sep/Oct '21 with dual pain front windows. Back seat, door pockets, and trunk are all plastic where the new ones come with more carpet to absorb road noise. If you read the fine print on the tires marketing material, the quoted decrease in road noise is based on another one of their standard tires. Bit of marketing fluff if you ask me.

The improvement in ride comfort is small but noticeable, there is no doubt they are softer tires. The most noticeable change is the harshness of road imperfections. You still feel everything, it's simply the impacts are ever so slightly more muted. As mentioned above, this comes at the cost of "sportiness." The car is softer when tossed into a corner. I haven't pushed the new tires to the point of understeer but the feeling I get with these is that they're softer and have less lateral grip.

I have a bit over 2K miles on the tires and I'm still very happy with them. Driving through a rain storm on the highway was night and day versus the stock tires. Keeping roughly the same efficiency, better wet traction, better road comfort all at the expense of slightly worse handling is worth it to me.

Appreciate the review - not a whole lot out there on these yet.

I have 20's so after replacing the OEM Goodyears at 16.5K with Michelin PS AS4's I'm now at 40K and in the market for a new set again. While the Michelin's are great tires the noise and efficiency hits were considerable, though efficiency improved somewhat after 10K or so. I've never owned Hankooks but I'm giving them a try now - ordered at Discount Tire and should be in shortly. The milage adjustment from Michelin saved me around $500 so a set of Hankook Ion EVO AS SUV 255/40R20 101W XL's were less than $1K out the door. They sound promising! :)

Appreciate the review - not a whole lot out there on these yet.

I have 20's so after replacing the OEM Goodyears at 16.5K with Michelin PS AS4's I'm now at 40K and in the market for a new set again. While the Michelin's are great tires the noise and efficiency hits were considerable, though efficiency improved somewhat after 10K or so. I've never owned Hankooks but I'm giving them a try now - ordered at Discount Tire and should be in shortly. The milage adjustment from Michelin saved me around $500 so a set of Hankook Ion EVO AS SUV 255/40R20 101W XL's were less than $1K out the door. They sound promising! :)

I felt the same way when I was shopping, these tires really don't have many first hand accounts. That's why I decided to write up a review.

I'm curious how the 20s with the shorter sidewalls will handle in comparison. I had PS AS3 on a prior car and the sidewall stiffness was noticeable. Wonderful tires for all season performance but I also experienced increased noise. Feel free to share your thoughts once you have had a chance to break in the new Hankooks.

I just put 19" Martian MW03 & 255/45R19 Hankook Evo iON AS SUV tires on my 2022 MYP. I had Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my 21" Uberturbine wheels.

Noise: A lot less road rumble entering the cabin from pavement.

Comfort: Yea road bumps are not as harsh. But to greatly improve in this area, you'd need one of the aftermarket suspensions. I did not mind the sporty harsher ride of the 21".

I have not driven my car up and down the Los Angeles canyons to see how well they grip & do not plan to. If I'm wanting to do spirited driving in an SUV, I'm doing it with the 21" tires.

Reactions: Reelknead1
First 500 Miles – 245wh/mi
+ 825 mile Road Trip – 288wh/mi
Vehicle Lifetime - 258wh/mi (stock tires 34K miles)

TLDR: Good tires, more comfort, less performance

Efficiency
This is a hard category to compare, especially with so few miles. With that said, I averaged 245 wh/mi over the first 500 miles. The closest comparison I have is to the previous 250 miles I did before replacing the tires. On worn Conti’s, I averaged 232 wh/mi. I’d consider the efficiency delta statistically insignificant.

Upon completing the first 500 miles, we were off on our first road trip from Charlotte to Washington DC. In total, this trip was 800 miles and returned an average of 288wh/mi. The weather was rainy leaving Charlotte with temps in the 50s. Per Windy, a prevailing headwind of 3mph was present. On the trip back, we had dry conditions and temps in the low/mid 60s. Winds were ~10mph and were tail/cross much of the day. I don’t have average speeds for the trip but AP was generally set 10-15mph over the speed limit. Much of the drive was between 55-85mph with significant stretches above 80mph. I’ve done this trip several times and I’m happy to report that results are within my previous range. Depending on weather/temp, this trip has previously resulted in 275-315wh/mi.

The big take away here is that they’re not drastically different. With the weather cooling down shortly after installing the new tires, I’m not surprised the efficiency took a small hit.

Noise
Given the marketing, I was hopeful they’d be a bit quieter. They’re not any louder than the stock Conti’s but unfortunately, not an area of noticeable improvement.

Ride Comfort
The new tires improve upon the harsh ride quality of the Model Y. With that said, the improvement is minimal. Anecdotally, I’d say it’s a 5-10% improvement. Without changing the Model Y suspension, you’ll never get rid of the harsh ride but these tires provide a bit more cushion. If you’re paying attention, you can feel them compress and rebound over bumps where the stock tires were extremely stiff and had little give. Again, not a drastic improvement but noticeable over certain bumps.

Handling
Steering/Dry Handling – These are not performance tires. If you have a performance oriented Tesla, you probably want to look elsewhere. These are “Touring” all season tires. Compared to the stock tires, steering feel is direct and turn in is communicative. With that said, the side walls are softer and you feel that when diving into corners. This is a noticeable difference. The trade off here is improved ride comfort.

Wet – Driving through moderate rain provided a significant boost in confidence. Highway speeds in a steady moderate rain was excellent. The stock tires were unsettling, with a sensation of floating when changing lanes at speed. These new tires provide a solid, planted feel that inspire confidence. Frankly, this is what a car should feel like in the rain. As evident by all the hydroplaning videos online, the stock tires are under performers in this department.

Snow – No experience yet but I’d echo my rain comments above. The stock tires were bad in winter weather conditions. Looking forward to getting these into the mountains this winter.

Price
Roughly the same price as the stock Conti’s.

I’m happy with the switch but you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons of each. Hopefully this helps provide a bit more real world information about the tires.
Any update on your experience with these?

I got the Hankook ION EV SUV for my 20 inch induction wheels on my Model Y. I was previously running the stock Good Years. So far, the first 500 miles, I feels like the efficiency has not been as good. Do they need a break in period before seeing improvement in efficiency?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezla041
Replaced my 20 inch Michelin PILOT SPORT EV Summer tires (stock) this month because they were cupped after 67K km (~42 K miles). Wheels need to be aligned; the non-Tesla tire-center found a substantial deviation, mostly at the rear wheels.

Replaced by 20 inch Hankook iON evo SUV IK01A Summer tires. Hesitated a lot, but the idea Tesla put Hankooks on their Highland M3 convinced me to try it. Btw, the offer of Tesla to replace the tires was twice as much as the replacement and alignment by a tire-center and ordering the tires by myself via internet (€ 2200 versus € 1050).

After almost 1000 km no regrets. Tires are very quiet. According to manufacturer 3 dB less than Michelins. Maybe because the previous tires were cupped, but we experience a much more quiet and very relaxed car now.

Metrics below are from TeslaFi, measuring the efficiency of the tires. Don't exactly know how the efficiency is calculated, but it seems there is no difference in the performance of the tires.

1711404868957.png

Stability feels the same.

Replaced my 20 inch Michelin PILOT SPORT EV Summer tires (stock) this month because they were cupped after 67K km (~42 K miles). Wheels need to be aligned; the non-Tesla tire-center found a substantial deviation, mostly at the rear wheels.

Replaced by 20 inch Hankook iON evo SUV IK01A Summer tires. Hesitated a lot, but the idea Tesla put Hankooks on their Highland M3 convinced me to try it. Btw, the offer of Tesla to replace the tires was twice as much as the replacement and alignment by a tire-center and ordering the tires by myself via internet (€ 2200 versus € 1050).

After almost 1000 km no regrets. Tires are very quiet. According to manufacturer 3 dB less than Michelins. Maybe because the previous tires were cupped, but we experience a much more quiet and very relaxed car now.

Metrics below are from TeslaFi, measuring the efficiency of the tires. Don't exactly know how the efficiency is calculated, but it seems there is no difference in the performance of the tires.

View attachment 1032040

Stability feels the same.
I'm not sure how accurate the TeslaFi numbers are but keep in mind, tire efficiency improves with use to a certain point - your Hankooks are barely broken in. Wh/Km will drop a bit.