Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Little rattle on front suspension- out of warranty options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
Just purchased a 85D 2015 with 86k miles

I have noticed that there is a slight rattle noise coming from front suspension only when going over rough roads around 10-20mph

Has anyone delt with this? Since it’s a suspension component , should I go to tesla Service or will another shop be able to work on suspension items?
Thanks !

In theory, any shop can work on Tesla suspension, but its probably still best to find one that has worked on Tesla before, knows the proper lifting procedures and is able to source parts if needed. I can recommend Evolution Autosports, they are in PA not far from NJ.

In my experience, the NJ area service centers have been pretty useless in diagnosing these types of issues, and often charge diagnostic fees (which are often wrong) on top of repair costs. In particular, I would avoid Springfield and Lawrence Twp.

Last edited:
In theory. any shop can work on Tesla suspension, but its probably still best to find one that has worked on Tesla before, knows the proper lifting procedures and is able to source parts if needed. I can recommend Evolution Autosports, they are in PA not far from NJ.

In my experience, the NJ area service centers have been pretty useless in diagnosing these types of issues, and often charge diagnostic fees (which are often wrong) on top of repair costs. In particular, I would avoid Springfield and Lawrence Twp.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I was actually at the Lawrence location yesterday for my buddy who is interested in buying a tesla.

That is what I am afraid of, I know suspension is hard to figure out and I don’t want to bring it to a shop & they fix something and it doesn’t fix the problem

Do you have any other recommendations in jersey? I am in the freehold area. Never heard of Evolution

I have spoken with many shops in the area, but I use Evolution Autosports. They are about an hour from Freehold.

I tried to start this thread, it does contain a few other area options, but none closer to you;

Your noise could be as simple as a bad front sway bar link (common failure). This is something anyone could do after watching Youtube videos.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have spoken with many shops in the area, but I use Evolution Autosports. They are about an hour from Freehold.

I tried to start this thread, it does contain a few other area options, but none closer to you;

Your noise could be as simple as a bad front sway bar link (common failure). This is something anyone could do after watching Youtube videos.
Appreciate you. 2 more questions, how many miles does your S have ?

And how much did they invoice for your suspension fix?

My 2017 S100D has around 77K miles on it. I had a noise from the rear suspension, which turned out to be a failed bushing in the driver side rear toe-arm. I got a little carried away and used this as an excuse to upgrade to adjustable camber and toe-arms. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but it was like $150 to replace the camber-arms (1hr labor) and $300 to replace the toe arms (2hrs labor). I supplied the parts of my choice. There was also a $300 diagnostic fee, but Joe and his mechanics spent the better part of an entire day with me, testing driving the car, tightening nuts and applying lubrication. The bad bushing was not easily identifiable, and they didn't want to just randomly replace parts. Eventually they attached an acoustic device that allowed us to isolate the source area of the noise. Once isolated, the failed bushing became apparent. The repairs were then completed during a second appointment.

My 2017 S100D has around 77K miles on it. I had a noise from the rear suspension, which turned out to be a failed bushing in the driver side rear toe-arm. I got a little carried away and used this as an excuse to upgrade to adjustable camber and toe-arms. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but it was like $150 to replace the camber-arms (1hr labor) and $300 to replace the toe arms (2hrs labor). I supplied the parts of my choice. There was also a $300 diagnostic fee, but Joe and his mechanics spent the better part of an entire day with me, testing driving the car, tightening nuts and applying lubrication. The bad bushing was not easily identifiable, and they didn't want to just randomly replace parts. Eventually they attached an acoustic device that allowed us to isolate the source area of the noise. Once isolated, the failed bushing became apparent. The repairs were then completed during a second appointment.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. Did you change with OEM tesla suspension parts or aftermarket ?

Did you solve your rattle yet?

I have a 2016 p90d. Trying to find the source of the front rattle for 2 years now.
Matches your description with the speed and the rough roads.

Replaced:
- 2 front shocks
- All front control arms except the very top ones that looks like a fork but checked its bushings and joint and there is 0 play.
- Sway bar itself
- Sway bar links
- Wheel bearings

Also
- Checked CV axles, no play..
- Checked tyre pressure sensors.
- Re-torqued everything..
- Removed the frunk and drove around without it, still rattles..
- Checked for loose cables, loose parts etc., nothing..
- Checked headlight mounts and other parts mounts, no play..

Losing my mind..

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Did you solve your rattle yet?

I have a 2016 p90d. Trying to find the source of the front rattle for 2 years now.

Replaced:
- 2 front shocks
- All front control arms except the very top ones that looks like a fork but checked its bushings and joint and there is 0 play.
- Sway bar itself
- Sway bar links
- Wheel bearings

Also
- Checked CV axles, no play..
- Checked tyre pressure sensors.
- Re-torqued everything..
- Removed the frunk and drove around without it, still rattles..
- Checked for loose cables, loose parts etc., nothing..
- Checked headlight mounts and other parts mounts, no play..
IMG_5455.png

Losing my mind..
I actually brought it to tesla , had them replace upper links since that’s why they said it was rattling, and it was still there. So no, it is not fixed and still present

Suspension rattles always hard to pinpoint unless clearly obvious like torn bushings, etc.
In my case a few years ago, it was the wheel bearing that was worn. Only time I’d hear a rattle was when driving over cobblestone type patches in the road at lower speeds. SC replaced both front sides under warranty and it’s been silent ever since.

Taking out of warranty cars to Tesla is such a waste. They can't diagnose at all and they only recourse they provide is R&R. As I mentioned before, what unlocked this issue for me was using a acoustic diagnostic device, like this. It lets you isolate the component where the noise is heard the loudest. Or just take it to Evolution Autosports. I used aftermarket parts where superior options exist and OEM parts where I had no other choice.

Have you checked for play with the front end suspended on jackstands or a rack with the wheels hanging?
Done that already aswell. No visible, hearable rattle / play. Only on crappy roads it rattles like a horsecar..

Suspension rattles always hard to pinpoint unless clearly obvious like torn bushings, etc.
In my case a few years ago, it was the wheel bearing that was worn. Only time I’d hear a rattle was when driving over cobblestone type patches in the road at lower speeds. SC replaced both front sides under warranty and it’s been silent ever since.

Replaced all 4 wheel bearings with original SKF bearings. Still rattling..