Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan and APR through Tesla Financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an advantage to rate match rather than just go with the credit union that gave the initial lower rate?

The way Tesla does rate matching is they usually cut a check for the difference in rate, up front. So you still pay the higher interest rate, but they've "made it up to you" right away.

Which seems flat-out silly, since you could then move the loan somewhere else and keep their money.

I financed with my credit union (campbellcu.org) - 2.5%. Was the easiest loan process I've ever done. Filled out the forms online, they fedex'd me a check which I took to delivery day. That was it. Saw no reason to go through Tesla's financing.

Reactions: jjrandorin
They do match rates. I did financing through tesla and submitted a rate match request the day after delivery (I didn't want to hassle getting third party financing and have to scramble before delivery), I got a check for the difference a few days ago.

Thanks for your confirmation, I already accepted the loan from Tesla and planning to do the rate match later

Reactions: goletaspring
The way Tesla does rate matching is they usually cut a check for the difference in rate, up front. So you still pay the higher interest rate, but they've "made it up to you" right away.

Which seems flat-out silly, since you could then move the loan somewhere else and keep their money.

I financed with my credit union (campbellcu.org) - 2.5%. Was the easiest loan process I've ever done. Filled out the forms online, they fedex'd me a check which I took to delivery day. That was it. Saw no reason to go through Tesla's financing.

So should i accept the 4% offer through Tesla to get everything moving and then send them the approval letter after for them to rate match?
Hoping to pick up asap, since i dont have a car atm.

How long is your approval good for? Asking since I don't want to apply until delivery date is closer and to not have to submit a credit app more than once (credit takes a hit).

Well the approval through the tesla website i dont believe says. I know my car is at the delivery center 2 cities from me as they mention to me today. So im sure that as soon as i secure the financing, i can get it very soon.

Well the approval through the tesla website i dont believe says. I know my car is at the delivery center 2 cities from me as they mention to me today. So im sure that as soon as i secure the financing, i can get it very soon.
Wow you're getting your car quick. I ordered on 1/10 and haven't had an update. I'm not expecting mine until March regardless

So should i accept the 4% offer through Tesla to get everything moving and then send them the approval letter after for them to rate match?
Hoping to pick up asap, since i dont have a car atm.

Good question, but that's likely what I'd do... especially since they don't really "rate match" per se, but cut you a check for the difference...

Again, I handled my transaction via my credit union so I don't have experience with Tesla's direct financing folks, but that sounds like the best course of action.