Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of my M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
usually all that's required is actually taking your phone out of your pocket and maybe even opening the app to "wake things up". I've never seen it any worse than that though, certainly not being completely locked out as the OP said they were, which is why I asked whether the key card also didn't work, or whether they were not able to unlock the doors using the unlock command in the app.

Yes, it usually fails when I'm carrying things in both hands with my phone in my pocket.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This am after the recent update, I went out and got locked out of my M3P. I'm used to the random getting locked out of the driver's door, having to open a rear door first, or even the trunk. But today I got totally locked out. After trying all the doors and the trunk about half-a-dozen times I called my wife to rescue me. While I was on the phone, I tried the driver's door again (about 15 mins later), and it opened. Go figure. It's so tiring to have these continuing software bugs.

You know, for some people, this could be a real safety concern.

Several months ago, I was similarly locked out. It turned out that my key fob needed a new battery. I hadn't seen a warning that it needed to be replaced. Fortunately, I 1) figured it out, and 2) I was somewhere I could buy a new one.
I had the same problem too. Most of the time I reset my blue tooth and it worked. If not remove/delete car app from blue tooth and repair it again. On you Tesla app also has a mode to unlock door too. If not your card as a back up, but when I go to the gym, I leave my wallet lock in my car. Just use my iPhone too unlock automatically.

This evening, neighbor with 2023 M3 was taken to ER by his wife. He gave the parking attendant his key card. ER staff decided he needed to be admitted for further studies.
Wife drove car home with her iPhone 15 on the front console and his key card on front console.
She parked at home but (being rattled and worried) forgot both phone and key card on console as well as her purse (with her key card)🤦🏻‍♂️. She did plug in their wall charger.
When she realized what she’d done, she went to car to retrieve everything but doors were locked so she couldn’t get in. She walked over in a panic and I went to help her. I confirmed her doors were locked. I tried unplugging to see if that worked, but connector was also locked.
Was able to reach him in his hospital room to ask for their App login so I could login with my App. However, he told me that he’d planned for such an event and had bought a fob soon after buying the car. We used the fob and she was able to retrieve everything.
My question is, why did the car lock? My wife and I have forgotten our phones inside our M3 and the doors haven’t locked.
What do I need to look at on her phone or car to change so the doors don’t lock on her if the phone is left in the car?

This evening, neighbor with 2023 M3 was taken to ER by his wife. He gave the parking attendant his key card. ER staff decided he needed to be admitted for further studies.
Wife drove car home with her iPhone 15 on the front console and his key card on front console.
She parked at home but (being rattled and worried) forgot both phone and key card on console as well as her purse (with her key card)🤦🏻‍♂️. She did plug in their wall charger.
When she realized what she’d done, she went to car to retrieve everything but doors were locked so she couldn’t get in. She walked over in a panic and I went to help her. I confirmed her doors were locked. I tried unplugging to see if that worked, but connector was also locked.
Was able to reach him in his hospital room to ask for their App login so I could login with my App. However, he told me that he’d planned for such an event and had bought a fob soon after buying the car. We used the fob and she was able to retrieve everything.
My question is, why did the car lock? My wife and I have forgotten our phones inside our M3 and the doors haven’t locked.
What do I need to look at on her phone or car to change so the doors don’t lock on her if the phone is left in the car?
AFAIK, butts out of seats, doors closed will allow the car to lock. It's just as much a safety thing so that you don't leave the car unlocked with your phone available on a city street.
I believe that there is an option to keep unlocked at home.

There have been a few situations of phone in car, car in middle of nowhere, remote access not possible, not even Tesla can unlock it.
Gotta tow it back to civilization in those cases.

AFAIK, butts out of seats, doors closed will allow the car to lock. It's just as much a safety thing so that you don't leave the car unlocked with your phone available on a city street.
I believe that there is an option to keep unlocked at home.
I don't believe this is the case. I get out of my car, leaving my phone inside it, shut the door, and go to my mailbox kiosk and it never locks. I think I also inadvertently left my phone in the car while at a house in my neighborhood (not near my own house) for an extended period of time (over an hour) and the car did not lock.

As much as that would be a theft protection method (not really safety), it would be a safety issue if it did work as you described, since it would have a possibility of leaving a driver stranded away from home, possibly in an unsafe locale. Plus, I think if this were the case we'd hear about it quite frequently in the forum.
There have been a few situations of phone in car, car in middle of nowhere, remote access not possible, not even Tesla can unlock it.
Gotta tow it back to civilization in those cases.
While I don't think if the phone was in the car and connected that this would happen, this is a very good reason to make sure you have your key card handy. No need to have the car towed, just use a key card.

I was just going to say this but you beat me to it. @petercc9 , a keyfob has never (ever) been "standard equipment" on ANY model 3 or Y delivery. Since this thread is in the model 3 subforum, and we are discussing model 3s, its not appropriate to say "discontinued", because you cant discontinue something that was never there in the first place.

I am still trying to figure out why some people dont carry keycards. If you can carry a drivers license with you, the keycard has the same footprint. I have carried my keycard in my wallet for the entirety of my Tesla ownership. I have only needed it 2-3 times, but.. I HAVE needed it 2-3 times. If someone carries the fob, then I get it, but I would never carry just the phone for a key without a backup. Phones can be dropped and broken, stolen, etc.
My phone being broken or stolen is such a rare event that I'll deal with it when it comes. I carry a key card in my wallet, but I don't always carry my wallet. Previously, you could unlock and start the car remotely from a web browser, but that no longer seems to be the case. If I got stranded, I'd have to call a family member and have them unlock and turn on the car remotely on their app.

Reactions: RTPEV
Her bluetooth or APP weren't connected. If the phone was connected to the car, it wouldn't lock. If it locked with the phone inside it is because it lost connection. Sometimes just turning the app off can do that or the bluetooth being turned off will do it.