Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

London to Tignes (Val Claret or Le Lac)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any adventurous souls done a trip upto Tignes? 2100-2300m altitude so not sure how well batteries will preserve parked for a week... And the closest super charger I can see is a tidy distance away. I believe there is a destination charger somewhere in Tignes, but I am not sure how easy to use it will be.
Any tips/suggestions more than welcome!
Cheers

When you park your car for a week, make sure to turn off sentinel mode and check your car status remotely no more than once of twice per week.

Here in frigid Quebec when I leave my car at the airport at -20C, the battery does not lose more than 5% per week. If Sentinel mode remains turned on, that might be as high as 10% per day.

So it's likely you won't even need to worry about destination chargers if you can't find one easily.

Any local advice I could provide would be slightly outdated though, I've been skiing at Tignes many times but my most recent trip there was over 40 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
For future reference to others, this was v. doable.

Left central London with 100% 6:15am for 08:50Eurotunnel from Folkstone. Turns out there was a supercharger there whilst we waited and grabbed breakfast so even though unprompted, decided to add more juice there and then. 20-25mins worth.
From Calais(10:20am Local time arrival), 5 supercharger stops along the way, went straight to Lyon and got there for little later than 10pm. Was on 58% at this point.
Spend the night in Lyon, got up and went to Tignes with 1 more supercharge along the way, Got to Tignes with 40%.
Car stayed in a garage but not necessarily 'warm' or anything. Certainly not freezing cold either imo. 1 week later when it was time to return was down to 36%.

So didn't bother with public charging points there but I think you needed a specific 'membership card' to be mailed out in the post first to use those so would have been v.impractical /impossible for us.

Coming back into civilization from Tignes as you are going downhill the car did a fair bit of battery regen and we got to a supercharging point in 1 hour so was happy to recharge there with no range anxiety. And up north we went back up from another route and it was all good.

• Love
Reactions: Etna and Watts_Up
How was the driving, while seating on the "opposite" side?

- Did you installed a dashcam on the left side, and a display in front of you,
so you could have a view of the opposite coming traffic
when trying to pass a van or a truck blocking the view in front of you?

- Did you had to make any adjustment for the hight beams, or may be
the car performed any change automatically based on GPS?

I plan to go to England in the Fall and then to Europe.
I wonder if you can cross the channel with a rental car
or if you have to return your car, walk and use the Eurostar,
and get another car on the other side of the tunnel?