Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long range travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traveled from Berkeley, CA to Portland OR this past weekend. It took three recharging stops of approx. 50 mins. each to complete the trip. My last stop was in Springfield, OR at 11:30 pm where I ended up eating at a Denny's as I waited for my batteries to recharge. I was able to force down half a plate of chocolate chip pancakes as I waited. I had the feeling I was waiting for the cast of the movie "Grease" to show up and start singing. It was quite the nostalgic setting.

I'm afraid my model 3 is going to remain an urban perimeter car unless a better solution can be found to recharging the batteries. SpaceX can attach a space capsule to the International Space Station and return safely to earth, yet it takes 50 minutes to recharge my model 3. Maybe there is no way to compare the complexities of these two systems, but somehow someone has to address this issue. Otherwise we're just driving oversized Volkswagen Beetles that really aren't meant for extended highway driving.
Sometimes an extra stop can reduce total time. There’s several trip planners but the Tesla one has worked well for me, it even gave an option of no stop if I could keep at 65 mph, lol. The general idea is to not charge at low or high battery levels because the speed is substantially reduced.

I had a 1st gen Leaf for 4 yrs.

People always asked about the famous “range anxiety”

I explained that destinations never get farther away. If there is a traffic jam range generally increases. AC takes very little power.

Winter is another story but again worse case situation hitting traffic I just turned off the heat i an already warm car, cranked the heated seats and wheel and remembered how much better it was then freezing my ass off as a kid waiting for a bus :)

Reactions: gavine
I've take several multi-hour trips in my M3. A couple of 10hr drives to Toronto. I've never intentionally stopped for more than 30 minutes. I stayed past 30 minutes once when I stopped at..... a.... Denny's.... because that what was only food option (o_Oo_Oo_O) besides dunkin donuts and 7/11 near this supercharger in Corning NY. The service was so slow that i received the Tesla app obligatory possible idle fee pop up(that supercharger is never busy). That makes me think either the OP is really inexperienced or this is on side of hyperbole.

I will say I did not tackle the long trips right from day one. I started out with shorter trips that got longer over time. First 100 mile trip each way to Philadelphia. Next trip to boston ~230 miles away. Once I was confident in when to charge and when not to, I took that trip to toronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeclanual