Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term review 2012 Model S P85 #2587

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the changes over the years I thought I'd give some feedback from a long-term owner.

Our car is my wife's daily driver, shuttling 3 kids plus car pool using the rear facing jump seats. To say the car has been utterly life-changing is an understatement. Why? Never having to think about fueling, and almost never having to think about car headaches, oil changes, filters, hoses, belts. The convenience...the convenience. We still have one ICE for a gear hauler and the difference is almost like bad nostalgia.

Anything negative on our early model/experience?
1. visor mirror hinges break
2. slight rattles
3. drive replaced after failure 2 years ago, still fine.
4. door handles replaced free, though didn't have issues.
5. Replaced 12V twice.
6. Range has decreased about 1% per year. We charge about every other night, timed to after 10PM.
7. We take about 3-4 supercharger trips out of town per year. All have been fantastic. The addition of destination charging is the single best new development.

...and Tires. Oh the tires. Man, this P85 with 21" eats that rubber. We have had to flatbed this car to the service center a half dozen times when we flat. I would never to 21" again, and in hindsight should have sold for 19" some time ago. I'm sure there are those who appreciate the performance benefits but after the thrill of the performance wears off a little the convenience of 19" would have been a good move. Or maybe she is secretly a lead foot...

The changes to all the new Tesla models are astounding. I am excited as ever for the future of Tesla.

We are on our 4th Tesla and it is a life changing technology. Our first Model S is a 2012 VIN #3046. It came with 21" wheels and we changed those to 19" the first winter and never changed them back. Our second car which my son drives is a P85 with 21" wheels which meets his preference. The other two have 19s

The service center always takes care of any issues and I have full confidence in their work.

The cars are amazing to drive. My youngest son swapped his 2015 MB for my 85 when I just took delivery of our new P90DL.

We have taken many trips. In the early days of 2013 charging was at RV parks but now the super charging network has us covered. We drove two of the Teslas to KY this summer with out any gaps in coverage.

We still have an ICE pickup and are patently waiting on Teslas product development to become 100% electric family.

Reactions: ModelX