Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow that's quite interesting. I don't have FSD but 2022.44.25.3. How do you access the Service menu. Curious if I would have the same LV info you show in the screenshot.
Press and HOLD on the Software page on the spot where is says what model tesla (there is no button but its there). You will notice the screen pulse after a few seconds. Release the the login popup appears. The password is service. Lots of interesting things to see in there plus a breakdown of maintenance messages in detail.

Got it.

F6FED0A6-8589-42D6-BE85-AB937CF49A38.jpeg

Reactions: Flybyglass
Hey, so I am curious to all those who have been through multiple versions of the Ohmmu battery(specifically on a vehicle that originally had a lead acid battery)...are you guys actually buying the new version battery? It would seem to me that even replacing the Lead Acid battery every year would be cheaper in that case.
I just replaced with a lead acid. The first lead acid lasted me over 4 years. And from all I read that is a lot less headaches than I see with the Ohmmu.

I just replaced with a lead acid. The first lead acid lasted me over 4 years. And from all I read that is a lot less headaches than I see with the Ohmmu
Yeah, I totally get that. I'm almost at that point as well. I've always had performance or muscle cars and weight reduction was always preferred when you could take advantage of it. When my Lead Acid died I thought it would be a good investment into saving some weight up front. 8lbs vs 29 and also the claim of increased bass response with the audio system getting a higher voltage battery than the lead acid.

but yeahhhhh, none of that is really going to be worthwhile if the battery keeps killing itself. ;)

I wonder what they did the last months.
Ohmmu said that they know the issue and have a solution with the rev4 battery.
After 2 revisions I had in my car, I put the fully charged rev4 battery in my car and 2 days later the same sh.. happened.
I didn't trust this company anymore.

I wonder what they did the last months.
Ohmmu said that they know the issue and have a solution with the rev4 battery.
After 2 revisions I had in my car, I put the fully charged rev4 battery in my car and 2 days later the same sh.. happened.
I didn't trust this company anymore.
I think it is less about trusting the company as it is just the fact that they are playing a perpetual cat and mouse game with Tesla that I think will go on for a long long time, if not forever. Not a good place to be on the consumer side of that business. I am curious as to how long they can maintain the business model of multiple free physical battery upgrades because of the cat and mouse game.

Not on the Tesla side of things it gets fun too...Is there anything to prevent Tesla from maintaining a propriety LV battery in the vehicle and actively and specifically targeting and denying the use of any 3rd party battery solution? While I don't think they are doing it on purpose(at this point) I don't see why they couldn't.

Has anyone attempted to trickle charge their Ohmmu Lithium Ion battery? Do you need to make any changes in the Ohmmu App for Rev 4+ to do this (example, disable the discharging option)? After putting mine in the car and having the car reject it, it reported 0%. After putting it on my Noco Genius charger, it now shoes at 100% and balancing/balanced after only a few minutes of charging; gives the impression it was never 0% after all. Also when y out review the Ohmmu app, under the Voltage tab, should all 4 cells be either blue or green? My cell 4 reports in red at 3.606 V. Unless it’s normal for one of the cells to be red at any given moment.

Has anyone attempted to trickle charge their Ohmmu Lithium Ion battery? Do you need to make any changes in the Ohmmu App for Rev 4+ to do this (example, disable the discharging option)? After putting mine in the car and having the car reject it, it reported 0%. After putting it on my Noco Genius charger, it now shoes at 100% and balancing/balanced after only a few minutes of charging; gives the impression it was never 0% after all. Also when y out review the Ohmmu app, under the Voltage tab, should all 4 cells be either blue or green? My cell 4 reports in red at 3.606 V. Unless it’s normal for one of the cells to be red at any given moment.

So far so good. I put mine on a trickle charger for a good day and a half. Reinstalled it and have been keeping an eye on it a lot lately and so far it seems to be doing well. The car is sleeping like it should (Usually when it fails to sleep tips me off that something is going on with the LV Battery.).

81379ED8-D2F6-4EAF-8F66-BD63DD99BBB5.png

Reactions: miles267
We discussed trickle charging these (v4+ and earlier) maybe a dozen or so pages back.

Of course you can do it, using either a dedicated LFP chemistry charger or any vanilla 12V trickle charger (not idea but not bad if sub-2A).

Whether you trickle or not, or how/when you do it will sadly not do anything to help prevent Teslas OCD logic eventually throwing its errors and firing up the 12V suicide proc.

We discussed trickle charging these (v4+ and earlier) maybe a dozen or so pages back.

Of course you can do it, using either a dedicated LFP chemistry charger or any vanilla 12V trickle charger (not idea but not bad if sub-2A).

Whether you trickle or not, or how/when you do it will sadly not do anything to help prevent Teslas OCD logic eventually throwing its errors and firing up the 12V suicide proc.
Probably right but I'm wondering if it was just sheer luck that I got 19 cycles before I encountered a suicide situation. When I first got my V4+ I did basically the same thing and put it on the trickle charger for about a day before installing it. Then once installed not a single error came up over multiple Tesla software updates. Just bizarre it lasted as long as it did.

I know what to look for for sure now. That much is clear. I use Teslafi and always check my charge status every morning and if I see it sleeping for xx of hours it's likely all good. However if it's idling for a serious number of hours like overnight then its 12v suicide likely occurring.

Reactions: Perscitus
Probably right but I'm wondering if it was just sheer luck that I got 19 cycles before I encountered a suicide situation. When I first got my V4+ I did basically the same thing and put it on the trickle charger for about a day before installing it. Then once installed not a single error came up over multiple Tesla software updates. Just bizarre it lasted as long as it did.

I know what to look for for sure now. That much is clear. I use Teslafi and always check my charge status every morning and if I see it sleeping for xx of hours it's likely all good. However if it's idling for a serious number of hours like overnight then its 12v suicide likely occurring.
In Service Mode on the LV battery page there is now a Reconnect LV battery button. With a try next time this occurs. My thesis has been the voltage of the Ohmmu puts it between a Lead Acid or AGM and the 15.5v latter addition batteries. Same software in bout cars. So the software has to determine what it has to charge and test. with a voltage of (in my case) 14.68 volts, which battery is it (as seen by the car)? The 15.5 readout adds MOSFET and SOC%.

We found that putting the car into tow mode forces the HV contactors off, just make sure you are on a flat surface and hold the brake so it doesn't roll (tow mode will put it in in neutral). Once in tow mode can disable the 12V battery and then re-enable it; the car will wake back up and be reset.

We don't know about making this an official procedure for fear of "what if someone lets their car roll into something while in neutral?"; figured this group of "super users" would be capable of doing it properly though. This is UNOFFICIAL
So do I get an official welcome into the Ohmmu voltage error club? :)
I don't know what version I have, but I bought it in Feb '21 from Teslarati and just started to have the errors in the last month. Two error incidents maybe one month apart.
Thanks, I was looking for an easier "reset" but not sure of the full process. Once in tow mode should we hear the battery relay, then wait a few seconds and bring it out of tow mode?

So do I get an official welcome into the Ohmmu voltage error club? :)
I don't know what version I have, but I bought it in Feb '21 from Teslarati and just started to have the errors in the last month. Two error incidents maybe one month apart.
Thanks, I was looking for an easier "reset" but not sure of the full process. Once in tow mode should we hear the battery relay, then wait a few seconds and bring it out of tow mode?

Welcome to the club. :).

Apparently, when the LV Battery gets really low it won't let you engage Tow Mode. At least I couldn't. The button for Tow mode was grayed out. Even though it said to press the brake and enter tow mode. Didn't work for me. It kept popping up the alert that the 12-volt system was too low to operate accessories or something along those lines. :(

Seems like quite a few people go 19 cycles before entering suicide mode. Generally speaking what does that equate to in days and/or miles? At both ends of the spectrum what would one expect on a car that set idle for month(s) … or a coast to coast road-trip.

I was on 1-3 cycles. I also checked my battery after getting back from break and it reported 99% after draining it to 85%. Don’t think the BCM is calibrated yet.

I took a look at my lead acid over the days I was gone and saw some interesting behaviors. Looks like it dipped to almost 12V. Periodically charged due to getting down to 17deg.
3063E051-C634-4CC5-8D34-361BEA23B1C3.png

Seems like quite a few people go 19 cycles before entering suicide mode. Generally speaking what does that equate to in days and/or miles? At both ends of the spectrum what would one expect on a car that set idle for month(s) … or a coast to coast road-trip.

For me, it was Oct through Dec or just over 5k miles that I had 19 successful cycles of the V4+. No VFront errors, etc during that time.

II'm currently on Tesla software version: 2022.44.25.3. No further errors since trickle charging the V4+ and reinstalling it on Christmas day.
I have 2022.44.30.5 and was debating to install a partially charged V4+ (app says 100% but voltage only 13.4v) or trickle charge at 1 amp. I will go the trickle charge route to full (probably 14.6v. I notice when low, the car will charge at 7-8 amps. This will start it off easy. I noticed occasionally mine will momentarily say a temp of 302F then drop to real temp (takes 1-2 seconds). Ohmmu says anomaly and will be addressed in future software update through the app.

Reactions: Dysan911
So here is what I have observed in the last 48 hours after installing a fully charged V4+. On initial boot up after install, battery voltage was 14.3 until car booted then jumped to 14.8 before slowly dropping. I opened the service mode LV battery page and the car was charing at about 14.8 and the battery was showing 14.7 and only charging about .1 amps while the rest of the car was using 9-10 amps. Over the next 24 hours, the battery slowly dropped to 13.4 volts. Drove twice and it would jump to 14.5v upon wakeup but after driving a bit settle down to 13.4. No messages either in notifications or in the service mode menu. Holding steady at 13.4v looking at the Service mode battery page only about .1 amps was being sent to the battery and the battery voltage matched the output of the PCS. Stable and no messages. So at this point, the battery (even though it says 99%) is at 13.4. No issues or warnings. I parked for a while and now the battery shows 13.8 at 100%. All is well. All Advanced settings are green. Car sleeps normally.