Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through 19 successful Cycles of the v4+ battery until this morning when I got a message that my 12v system needs to be replaced. Went out to the car to try that Tow mode reset but the message on the left side was saying there wasn't enough power to support the 12v electrical system and something about the battery cable being disconnected. and it would not let me go into tow mode. I couldn't even put it in Drive or reverse. The Ohmmu app showed the battery at 76% and discharging. So I popped the rear seat and disconnected HV and then in the ohmmu app reset both of those toggles. Now the app is showing the battery is charging and the car seems to be back to normal.

Really not sure what triggered this. Ever since I got the 4+ it's been great. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass
I went through 19 successful Cycles of the v4+ battery until this morning when I got a message that my 12v system needs to be replaced. Went out to the car to try that Tow mode reset but the message on the left side was saying there wasn't enough power to support the 12v electrical system and something about the battery cable being disconnected. and it would not let me go into tow mode. I couldn't even put it in Drive or reverse. The Ohmmu app showed the battery at 76% and discharging. So I popped the rear seat and disconnected HV and then in the ohmmu app reset both of those toggles. Now the app is showing the battery is charging and the car seems to be back to normal.

Really not sure what triggered this. Ever since I got the 4+ it's been great. :(
One thing to check is in service mode sometimes additional messages are there that didn't show up in notifications. If main battery disconnected along with Ohmmu that usually erases older messages but perhaps check daily to see if anything on the service mode messages menu.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you review the notes on this thread You will quickly learn that the evidence does not support any assumption that the problem is the car not charging the battery. The car actually suicides the battery once it detects certain errors. It provides a 16 amp drain which quickly kills the battery. This has been observed and documented over and over. The rationale on the other hand behind this nonsense escapes all of us. While it might Be tempting to conclude that this suicide routine is aimed at aftermarket batteries it is applied to the OEM lead acid batteries as they fail operating system tests also. This explains why there is such a short interval between 12 V codes appearing and outright failure of the 12 volt sub system.
I replaced with old lead acid battery that came with the car and no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: dhrivnak

What triggered it is exactly what has been happening for all of us since 2021.36.x and v1/v2. Its exactly what most of the now 29/30 pages of this threads are about.

And what you opted for to temporarily resolve it, is also what most have been doing since Summer 2021. It gets old quick.

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
What triggered it is exactly what has been happening for all of us since 2021.36.x and v1/v2. Its exactly what most of the now 29/30 pages of this threads are about.

And what you opted for to temporarily resolve it, is also what most have been doing since Summer 2021. It gets old quick.
Yep. I've been in this thread since my V2 battery. I guess I thought I was lucky when I got the V4+, and while several others were still getting issues with VFront errors. Mine was working like a champ. I made it through 19 cycles without a single error until the other day. I'm not sure what triggered it specifically but the only thing I did out of the ordinary that involved the V4+ was I was swapping out a steering wheel and disconnected the battery while I did the work. Not sure if the battery was in some sort of charge/discharge mode and didn't like me disconnecting it and never recovered. When I reconnected it, maybe it went into a state of discharge until it got low enough to trigger the messages.

After the reset, It seems back to normal. If I can go another 19 cycles then It won't be so bad. The V2 and V3 wouldn't even go a week without triggering the 12v battery must be replaced msg. :(

It is a bit mysterious but it appears to be something that happens more often when the car is sitting for long periods of time. I rarely have this problem but I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to have to do resets from time to time. The sooner you intercept the 12 volt failure warning in the Tesla app and do the reset the less chance the 12 volt sub system has to drain the battery. There's a clear suicide routine activated in all this and if you Google this on the thread you will get an explanation from one of our senior guys about how this suicide routine might work. We believe that when the subsystem detects a battery fault that it considers to be terminal it drags the battery to the floor by discharging it.

This is nothing less than bizarre and is part of the pile of evidence that Tesla has no idea what they're doing with 12 volt lead acid chemistries. This includes their track record of failure in 12 volt systems not simply in their cars but also in power walls where we've had personal experience with the same issue of 12 volt sub system failure which essentially bricks your powerwall if it's fully discharged. The 12 volt sub system is actually supposed to prevent this by providing a backup source to power the onboard PW computer and the Gateway connection so that the system can operate normally even if the power wall is at 0% but for reasons I've been unable to clarify, the 12 volt system is not protected, and once it goes to the ground, the only way to get your system started so that it can begin registering incoming solar and starting to charge normally is to revive the 12 volt system in the power wall.

Last edited:
It is a bit mysterious but it appears to be something that happens more often when the car is sitting for long periods of time. I rarely have this problem but I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to have to do resets. The sooner you intercept the 12 volt failure warning in the Tesla app and do the reset the less chance the 12 volt sub system has to drain the battery. There's a clear suicide routine activated in all this and if you Google this on the thread you will get an explanation from one of our senior guys about how this suicide routine might work. We believe that when the subsystem detects a battery fault that it considers to be terminal it drags the battery to the floor by discharging it.

This is nothing less than bizarre and is part of the pile of evidence to Tesla has no idea what they're doing with 12 volt lead acid chemistries. This includes their track record of failure in 12 volt systems not simply in their cars but also in power walls where we've had personal experience with the same issue of 12 volt sub system failure which essentially bricks your powerwall if it's fully discharged. The 12 volt sub system is actually supposed to prevent this but for reasons I've been unable to clarify, the 12 volt system is not protected, and once it goes to the ground, the only way to get your system started so that it can begin registering incoming solar and starting to charge normally is to revive the 12 volt system in the power wall.
Perhaps a bunch of tweets directed at musk to get his attention.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt

You may want to contact Ohmu. I also have a V4+ but the build was only a couple of weeks ago and Sean had said there were some adjustments made to the firmware on the latest batch. One thing mentioned - looking at the voltage page in the Ohmmu app the voltages will be adjusting for cell balancing when away from a charging source. Previously it was only done when charging completed. Not sure what else was adjusted. Maybe there is a way to update the firmware via the app.

Question: I have the V4+ installed for a few days. I notice initially it would show about 13.4 volts resting and 14.68-14.7 while charging. Once charged and the car was asleep it would show 13.4 again. Today, it shows 14.68 and on wake up the screen rebooted? 14.68 is above charging voltages I had observed in the past with both the Atlas and a DiehardEV (AGM) battery. With voltage ABOVE the cars normal charging voltage, I would expect some odd behaviors as time progresses. Has anyone else had theirs reboot on morning startup? Also, I show only 1 cycle (it was 1 cycle out of the box) and nothing has changed. I will observe big amp draws on wake up (monetary -35 amps then -7 amps then +7-8 amps until recovered). Plus the battery temperature is about 5f warmer that my garage temperature.

Hey, so I am curious to all those who have been through multiple versions of the Ohmmu battery(specifically on a vehicle that originally had a lead acid battery)...are you guys actually buying the new version battery? It would seem to me that even replacing the Lead Acid battery every year would be cheaper in that case.

Negative. All or at least most have been getting free replacements under warranty terms to newer revisions, one long beta test.

However note these replacements have now stopped and the warranty is up for most of the early adopters. Alo detailed in memos from Ohmmu a few pages back and on their support site.

Hey, so I am curious to all those who have been through multiple versions of the Ohmmu battery(specifically on a vehicle that originally had a lead acid battery)...are you guys actually buying the new version battery? It would seem to me that even replacing the Lead Acid battery every year would be cheaper in that case.
No I made one purchase now three and a half years ago and this probably was something like version 2. I have received several updated versions of the battery Gratis and was allowed to keep the original version.

Recently received my Rev 4+ warranty replacement. Had on a trickle charger until I had an opp to install it. Upon install the Ohmmu app reported the battery at 35% SoC (green). While installed in the car, it at one point reported 100% SoC. Car is kept in garage though we’ve had unseasonably cold temps through the US. Last night while car was parked outside, the Tesla app reported 12V battery required replacement service. Checked Ohmmu app that reported it was at 1%. This morning attempted a battery reset without noticeable success. Have since returned the OEM lead acid battery into service which cleared the 12V battery error immediately. The Ohmmu 4+ battery has been placed back on trickle charge indefinitely until perhaps a firmware update becomes available that can be flashed via app.

• Informative
Recently received my Rev 4+ warranty replacement. Had on a trickle charger until I had an opp to install it. Upon install the Ohmmu app reported the battery at 35% SoC (green). While installed in the car, it at one point reported 100% SoC. Car is kept in garage though we’ve had unseasonably cold temps through the US. Last night while car was parked outside, the Tesla app reported 12V battery required replacement service. Checked Ohmmu app that reported it was at 1%. This morning attempted a battery reset without noticeable success. Have since returned the OEM lead acid battery into service which cleared the 12V battery error immediately. The Ohmmu 4+ battery has been placed back on trickle charge indefinitely until perhaps a firmware update becomes available that can be flashed via app.
Sean had said it takes a couple cycles before the percentage is correct. Total voltage could give a clue. Mine would say 100% at 13.4 volts then next day 100% at 14 .68v. I have swapped out to the shelf till warmer in the NE to look into further.

Did the app show any issues like over charge or overheat etc and was it all green on the advanced page?

No. Everything showed as green checkmarks and 12.6V though I wasn’t content to go out into the single digit temperatures on errands with it saying 1% (time to empty: -) and so much uncertainty. I’ve thrown it back onto the Lifepo4 trickle charger but it doesn’t show any indication of charging up from 1%.

• Informative
Well so much for that. After my success with 19 cycles of the V4+. As you may recall I posted about getting errors about the 12v system being insufficient, blah blah blah. Typical V4+ suicide mode. I restarted everything and it fully charged back up and I thought I'd be good for another 19 cycles. Wrong. Maybe 2 cycles later it did it again. Woke up this morning and noticed my idle time from Teslafi was showing like 9hours. I figured let it figure it out that it had nothing to do with the 12v battery so for most of the day I'd check on it and it was showing 19 sleep attempts but 0 sleeps. I just went out and connected to my Ohmmu battery with the app and it was down to 8%. Damn!. So now I'll try recharging it with the Li Trickle charger to 100% and see how it goes from there. . For now back to the Lead Acid battery until then.

I may be in the same situation as Miles267 above.

Reactions: miles267
We are all in the same situation and nothing will change unless/until Tesla does something about it (unlikely) or Sean finds a solution (increasingly inlikely, borderline holiday miracle at this point).

This being a legacy config for 3/Ys does not bode well for anyone investing more time to address this, Ohmmu is out most of the profits made from the original sales and focusing their efforts elsewhere now to offset.

Reactions: Dysan911
We are all in the same situation and nothing will change unless/until Tesla does something about it (unlikely) or Sean finds a solution (increasingly inlikely, borderline holiday miracle at this point).

This being a legacy config for 3/Ys does not bode well for anyone investing more time to address this, Ohmmu is out most of the profits made from the original sales and focusing their efforts elsewhere now to offset.
On a interesting note, FSDBeta 10.69.25 made some changed to the service mode menu. You can you evaluate the LV battery.

IMG_1746.JPG

Notice at the bottom of the page a Reconnect LV battery along with VC resets. Not sure how to use these but it appears some improvident.

As for the Ohmmu, I had it removed and stored before this update. I may reinstall and evaluate. One thesis on the suicide modes that have been mentions. I have both a M3 with the 12 v and a MY with the 15V Lithium. Both have 10.69.25. My Ohmmu initially was showing 13.5 volts and after a couple of days was at 14.68v. Both times showing 100% on the Ohmmu app. With a voltage at 14.68, that is more than a Lead Acid but less than the 15 volt Lion. So after a while the system would think a bad Lion for overcharging on a 12 volt. Could be the culprit with rapid discharging of the Ohmmu. I didi not have this experiene but I removed it before it could happen. These added resets makes me think a solution may be in the works but really one should need to reset the LV battery.

Reactions: mstatkus