Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for 2008 Roadster for Exhibit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I hope this is an appropriate place to post this inquiry (and apologies if that is not the case).

My name is Kyle Sater and I am the curator at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN. The museum is in the process of developing our next special exhibit, which will explore the history (and future) of electric vehicles. The exhibit will open in March 2022 and will run through early October 2022. We are hoping to bring in a nice selection of EVs from various periods—from the early 20th century through today.

One make/model we are interested in is a first generation Tesla Roadster, preferably 2008 or 2009. Since the Roadster was first highway legal production EV to use lithium-ion batteries, and the first travel more than 200 miles per charge, we thought it would be make a nice addition. Two related questions: 1) Would any TMC members have Roadster that fits the bill? And 2) Would anyone be interested in loaning their vehicle to the museum for the duration of the exhibit? They would be recognized in the exhibit, and the museum would handle all transportation costs and logistics. Thank you in advance for your time and attention. I would be happy to share my direct info if there is interest.

The best candidate would be a bricked roadster that is waiting for a battery. If it was an exibit from November - March, most roadster in your area would be in winter storage so you would have more options. Since the display is March - November, thats the driving season and it’s a tall order to part with a summer vehicle for the season. Full circle back to a bricked roadster, also less liability for the museum as it wouldnmt die on your watch, as it would always need to be plugged in and periodically checked to see that it’s alive and well.
Unfortunatelly, many of those have been distroyed in a fore at Grubers yesterday.

Upvote 0
Hello - I hope this is an appropriate place to post this inquiry (and apologies if that is not the case).

My name is Kyle Sater and I am the curator at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN. The museum is in the process of developing our next special exhibit, which will explore the history (and future) of electric vehicles. The exhibit will open in March 2022 and will run through early October 2022. We are hoping to bring in a nice selection of EVs from various periods—from the early 20th century through today.

One make/model we are interested in is a first generation Tesla Roadster, preferably 2008 or 2009. Since the Roadster was first highway legal production EV to use lithium-ion batteries, and the first travel more than 200 miles per charge, we thought it would be make a nice addition. Two related questions: 1) Would any TMC members have Roadster that fits the bill? And 2) Would anyone be interested in loaning their vehicle to the museum for the duration of the exhibit? They would be recognized in the exhibit, and the museum would handle all transportation costs and logistics. Thank you in advance for your time and attention. I would be happy to share my direct info if there is interest.
I may be able to help. I send you a PM.

Reactions: drewski
Upvote 0

I have a very early Roadster, one of the Signature 100s, denoting the first hundred production cars. I’d be willing to loan the vehicle for that duration. I’ll PM you

Upvote 0
I have a very early Roadster, one of the Signature 100s, denoting the first hundred production cars. I’d be willing to loan the vehicle for that duration. I’ll PM you
Talked to Kyle on the phone last month to offer my '08; sounds like he's got a few options, but is ideally looking for someone in the Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana area to save on transport costs. He may have found someone in the interim - how's the search going, @Car_Museum?

Upvote 0