Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for an actual working minimal speed display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been using this small YZ brand minimalist speed display mounted at the windscreen base for the last year. Made a hood to remove reflections and really like the practicality of having speed and indicator shown just outside focused vision. Also like the numbers turning red above certain speeds as I enjoy having a license 😅

yz-minimalist-001.jpg

At some point last fall, it seems like Tesla made a change where autopilot and cruise will cease to work if there is an adapter plugged into the rear console plug. Have tested with three different units of this type, they all work and show accurate data but the car refuses to engage cruise control - which instantly returns when I unplug the adapter.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something similar that will work well with a 2021 3 Performance?

Here’s one that looks stockish

Not to hijack the thread, but I received this as a gift and have not installed it yet. I have two concerns. 1) Messing with the ODB port & wires, and 2) versions of these work then stop working with Tesla updates, or the car itself has issues as the OP is experiencing. On the other hand, it's really cool and I'm not wanting to return it. I think I'll probably install after it has been out a while longer and there's a good track record of no issues.

I have one of those hidden mini display, it's the perfect size for what it does.

Only con is even with the size it still block air vents a bit. You can no longer have air blowing straight at you.
It will divert the airflow to the sides. I'm fine with it during winter but not sure I will be able to stand it when summer comes...

Attachments

• 315372608_619628079948397_2040819249786150404_n.jpg
    315372608_619628079948397_2040819249786150404_n.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 43
I have had an OBD port installed and an OBD dongle plugged in to use ScanMyTesla for almost 3 years with absolutely zero issues with autopilot ever. I replaced that with the S3XY buttons OBD port and dongle a couple months ago and haven't experienced autopilot issues either. I don't use Autopilot regularly but over 3 years I would have noticed something eventually :)

Update - my fault! I was sure there was a connection but actually had a fault in the front facing camera that was found and fixed when I had the windshield replaced. Now running both autopilot and tiny speedo at the same time.