Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for First Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been a car head ever since high school (hint: class of 2003) with drifting then VIP styled cars and now off-road rigs. I still currently have VIP build Lexus LS430 show car and an off-road overland build 2nd gen Toyota Sequoia that’s getting fitted with a Total Chaos long travel kit and King shocks combo. My Sequoia is almost done being built but now that gas prices are over $6 here in NorCal me and my wife agreed it’s time to finally pull the trigger on our first Tesla.

We first wanted a brand new Y, but our friends who own Teslas advised to just go for a used S since we are needing the space and would appreciate the add comfort.

After a town of research, we’ve narrowed down some of the things we wanted for our future daily family hauler and grocery getter in order of priority:

2016-2017 MS
Black or white
Under $40k
85-95 (P not necessary)
Under 80k miles
Transferable SC01 supercharging
Transferable connectivty
AP1
High fidelity sound
Non standard suspension
MCU2

I think we finally found a black 90D with 57k, FSD and all the above minus MCU2 for $40k, but am still seeing conflicting information about the SC01 being transferable. Some say there shouldn’t be a dollar amount in the charging menu and some say it should. Someone said anything transferred after 02/2023 won’t include supercharging.

I would just hate to fly down to SoCal just to find out it’s not transferable. The owner says it is and even gave me the VIN number but I don’t really know how to check without being able to access MyTesla.

Still trying to be patient in our purchase but also don’t want to lose out on a deal!

Last edited:
After about 2 months of searching for a 2016.5 or January 2017 Model S with a transferable SC01, I finally gave up after finding a 2017 Model X down the street. The X was in our 3rd choice color (dark grey), but had our first choice interior (white seats). It also had MCU2 done along with the complete (beta) FSD package already installed. It also had the $1200 Tesla 2" hitch receiver just recently installed. So far we're loving it! Our kids love the falcon wing door too. We're combing through the X for any malfunctions and/or anything that needs replacing since it also came with an Extended Warranty good until Fall '24!

Picking up some black 22" Turbines and doing chrome delete for now!

2021ACF8-BB03-4F72-B8CE-1F1796293B0A_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Silicon Desert
After about 2 months of searching for a 2016.5 or January 2017 Model S with a transferable SC01, I finally gave up after finding a 2017 Model X down the street. The X was in our 3rd choice color (dark grey), but had our first choice interior (white seats). It also had MCU2 done along with the complete (beta) FSD package already installed. It also had the $1200 Tesla 2" hitch receiver just recently installed. So far we're loving it! Our kids love the falcon wing door too. We're combing through the X for any malfunctions and/or anything that needs replacing since it also came with an Extended Warranty good until Fall '24!

Picking up some black 22" Turbines and doing chrome delete for now!
Nice. One of our 3 Teslas is a 2017 MX. It's been a great car with no issues except for that well known acceleration vibration issue a few years back. After having the new upgraded clevis mount replaced for free a couple years ago, issue hasn't returned.

Nice. One of our 3 Teslas is a 2017 MX. It's been a great car with no issues except for that well known acceleration vibration issue a few years back. After having the new upgraded clevis mount replaced for free a couple years ago, issue hasn't returned.
I did feel something like that only on certain “pedal to the metal” accelerations. I thought it was the axle shafts. Maybe this is something I should notify Tesla about? Were you still under extended warranty when it was replaced?

I did feel something like that only on certain “pedal to the metal” accelerations. I thought it was the axle shafts. Maybe this is something I should notify Tesla about? Were you still under extended warranty when it was replaced?
A LOT of people had this issue, and many had the "Half Shafts" (front of car) replaced and sometimes people said the problem would reoccur. It was most noticeable when accelerated from low speed of 10-30 mph. The problem seemed to go away when Tesla redesigned and replaced the "Clevis mount". They did it for free under warranty. You may or may not be experiencing the same thing based on what you stated. Check with Tesla. They should be able to tell you if your car was updated.

Reactions: PURE ADDICT